Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Eternalrage

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Need help here

Please Login to Remove!

Ok my situation is this heh

I do not have a BB data plan or any data, i just buy my phones unlock and stick my simcard in them and just text and talk. I have no problems with it what so ever.

But now since i have a Bold 9780 i kinda wanna get into BBM as everyone has it and seems legit

MY question is im currently with rogers im on a mobile phone plan called EPP and a addon value for $10 for 2500 text msgs and call display and such and such

Rep told me that for $5 more i can get unlimited IM. I asked her would that include BBM she said yes ( But i have not told her i have a unlocked BB) but did tell her i do have a BOLD

What makes this $5 unlimited access to applications,IM, different from $30 BB value pack? for essentially more things i dont need or want just to get BBM to work.

My other question is that i cannot use WiFi to use BBM or the internet browser which pisses me off so it makes my Wi-Fi useless for now.

I do not know where my unlocked BB came from but i got a feeling it was Bell cause when i did a factory rest the APN was pda.bell.com

To sum it up my question is

$5 for this IM addon will it work for BBM?

and What can i use Wi-Fi for?

i also had Rogers unlock the phone pin and imei i guess from the orginal BIS username and pass

Last edited by Eternalrage; 04-27-2011 at 08:28 PM..
Old 04-27-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Eternalrage

Default Re: Need help here

and dont know how i get BIS to work do i go to rogers?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
jaszman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Eternalrage, BBM will require a BIS/BES enabled SIM card. BBM will only work (OTA or Wi-FI) through a RIM server and that requires a Blackberry data plan.

You can call Rogers and tell them what it is you are trying to do with your phone. Ask them if the plan they sold you will allow you to do what it is that you want to do, if not ask them what you need to change and how much it will cost.

Have them look at you plan and see what it is your paying for, you might be able to give up some of the other parts of your plan (unlimited messaging) in order to get what you want (unlimited BBM) without it costing too much.

Good Luck
Old 04-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I think Rogers has a Social Media plan for BBs. Not sure of the cost and it will give you BBM. To use email and the other RIM services, you must have the BB data plan. No way around it.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #5
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Bottom line, no Blackberry Data Plan no Blackberry services. All you will have is a standard cell phone . Calls and cell text.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Rogers doesn't care if you have a phone locked to them or an unlocked phone. Their profit comes from your plan, not the hardware. Sometimes the carriers even lose money on the hardware just to get you into contract.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
Eternalrage

Ok well i just spoke with a rep on the phone and apperently there is a addon for $15 that gives me BBM and Social Networking unlimited

so my total cost would be $42 a month and my regular is $33 aproxx

so i will have
My Plan
200 Wkday/Unltd. Eve/Wkends

6pm Early Evening Calling
Unlimited Eve & Wknd Minutes
200 Weekday Minutes

Included with My Plan

Call Forward/Trans.Pay Per Use
Detailed Billing
2500 Sent/Unltd Rcvd Text Msgs

+ BBM and E-mail with voicemail and call display thats with my current plan

Last edited by Eternalrage; 04-28-2011 at 10:50 AM..
Old 04-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
Eternalrage

but i'd also like to get DATA too mybe like 25mb or 50mb for the occasional web browsing and app store use
Old 04-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
Eternalrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaszman View Post
Eternalrage, BBM will require a BIS/BES enabled SIM card. BBM will only work (OTA or Wi-FI) through a RIM server and that requires a Blackberry data plan.

You can call Rogers and tell them what it is you are trying to do with your phone. Ask them if the plan they sold you will allow you to do what it is that you want to do, if not ask them what you need to change and how much it will cost.

Have them look at you plan and see what it is your paying for, you might be able to give up some of the other parts of your plan (unlimited messaging) in order to get what you want (unlimited BBM) without it costing too much.

Good Luck
So what your saying about WI-FI is if i get a BBM plan that includes E-mail and Instant Messaging i will be registered to BIS and from there i can use my Wi-fi for webbrowsing and app world?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
jaszman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalrage View Post
So what your saying about WI-FI is if i get a BBM plan that includes E-mail and Instant Messaging i will be registered to BIS and from there i can use my Wi-fi for webbrowsing and app world?
Eternalrage, I'm sorry I can't help with your question. I'm not with Rogers, so I really don't know about free wi-fi use with them.

I do know that Blackberry App World requires a phone with a Blackberry Data plan. I'm not sure what is included in your present plan as down here in the States most of us generally get Blackberry plans with all things included. There are some providers who parcel out certain parts of the Blackberry plan, but most generally sell the full Blackberry plan or nothing at all.

A lot of Rogers users are on this site, I hope one will see your question and have the answer you need
Closed Thread