BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: GPS or WiFi? Which do you prefer?
GPS 111 56.63%
WiFi 77 39.29%
Neither 8 4.08%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #41
cdd543
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Please Login to Remove!

gps!
Old 08-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #42
AlwaysOn607
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

UMA compatible Wi-Fi for me. I don't have service in my home and I have a home office. Most of my calls come through my cell forwarded to my landline. This would save me a lot of money because I could lower the minutes on my cell plan.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:54 AM   #43
briankeith513
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700C
Carrier: VZW and the New AT&T

I would say GPS because it can be used more often. Wifi is only available when you are in a hotspot, and in that hotspot, you may have to pay for it. GPS can be used anywhere at anytime, for the most part.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #44
wangta01
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

+1 for GPS. I use it often, multiple times a week. Wifi - not sure what I would really use it for. EDGE is fast enough for jivetalk and checking sports scores.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:40 PM   #45
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

^^--What he said, definitely.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:34 AM   #46
shtekler

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular ATT

I want them all and unlocked
3.5G
GPS
WI_FI
keyboard
good sound
good price
I think I will get it only in Haven.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:10 AM   #47
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

I would use GPS once in a while, wifi daily.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:01 AM   #48
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900

Neither for me...

I would rather have a faster network hands down... 3G is fast but not fast enough... GPS is good but loading maps on EDGE is too slow.. wifi is nice but you need to pay for the hotspot at home feature and browsing with Wifi, Why, your at home so use a laptop or computer since your at home anyway with home hotspot... Would i mind having both GPS and Wifi no but its not necessary.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #49
drhink

Model: 8300

Definitely WiFi over GPS for me, but not that I'm dying for WiFi. The main reason being, a GPS receiver in the BB is OK if you are WALKING, but try to use it in a car - what a pain!. The metal roof of a car renders a built-in GPS receiver nearly useless. It has to be line-of-sight to the sky, dudes, meaning you can't see the screen while driving if the BB is laying flat on the dash way out under the leading edge of the windshield. I use a BT GPS receiver because I can put it way out on the dash and keep the BB on my console where I can see the screen. My QStar GPS receiver is the size of a box of matches, and the batt life is around 36 hours of active use. Love it! Works great on the dash or in a shirt pocket. And no worries about looking like an idiot walking around with my BB out flat in my hand so it can get good enough sat signals to actually work.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #50
wangta01
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhink View Post
Definitely WiFi over GPS for me, but not that I'm dying for WiFi. The main reason being, a GPS receiver in the BB is OK if you are WALKING, but try to use it in a car - what a pain!. The metal roof of a car renders a built-in GPS receiver nearly useless. It has to be line-of-sight to the sky, dudes, meaning you can't see the screen while driving if the BB is laying flat on the dash way out under the leading edge of the windshield. I use a BT GPS receiver because I can put it way out on the dash and keep the BB on my console where I can see the screen. My QStar GPS receiver is the size of a box of matches, and the batt life is around 36 hours of active use. Love it! Works great on the dash or in a shirt pocket. And no worries about looking like an idiot walking around with my BB out flat in my hand so it can get good enough sat signals to actually work.
I'm not sure what program you are using, but my 8800 and Mapquest doesn't need direct line of site to use the GPS functions. I keep my BB inside my dashboard or even in the center console, and it always gets enough GPS signal (10 satellites!) to work very well. Actually, I have used the blackberry in the backseat as a passenger and had it work fine too - and I don't need to have it right next to the window. My bb actually has very good GPS sensitivity - I'm sitting here in my dorm, a good 8 feet from the window and it is picking up my GPS location on google maps.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:22 PM   #51
drhink

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangta01 View Post
...My bb actually has very good GPS sensitivity - I'm sitting here in my dorm, a good 8 feet from the window and it is picking up my GPS location on google maps.
When it comes to GPS reception, YMMV. Sounds like the GPS receiver/chipset is better in the newer BBs. I use Google maps and BBMaps. The GPS reception on my company provided Nextel 7520 was terrible. I would frequently get a message in Google maps like "signal too week to determine present location". That was in a variety of locales including concrete canyons in Chicago and out in the burbs. Side-by-side using Google Maps, my personal 7250 with a BT puck is way more sensitive than the built-in receiver on the 7520 in a moving car.

I was wondering, do you really need GPS in your dorm room? And I thought I partied a lot in college...
Old 08-29-2007, 09:49 PM   #52
shtekler

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax80 View Post
Since the Curve 8310 will have GPS and the 8320 has WiFi...which version would you choose?

Obviously we would want both, but it doesn't look like we're getting that anytime soon unless you get the 8820.

T-Mobile will come out with the 8320 for the WiFi (Hotspot) --- but I don't personally think I'll use that--so GPS looks more appealing (I'm hoping an unlocked version will pop up on ebay sometime soon).

What do you guys think?
I am getting the 8820 I don't want camera.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:02 PM   #53
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

You should have put down, "I don't care.".

But too late to change it now.

So that's my vote.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #54
IceCreaMan

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

GPS so i dont get lose riding my Yamaha R6 in the mtns. i live in the surburbs so no Wifi unless i use my AP. Also no wireless where i work either which is 75% where im at most of the time.

However, if i have to pay to use the GPS device, then no, I choose wifi + camera