BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
dknyc01

Model: 8700
Carrier: cingular
Default 8700C (Cingular) and yahoo mail

Please Login to Remove!

I'm on a corporate server, but have been able to add my 2 personal email accounts to download to my device. But I haven't been able to add my yahoo mail account.

When I'm on the email configuration page, it simply won't accept the yahoo account (all it asks for is user name and PW for all such accounts).

Any ideas?

Also, does my company have access to my private accounts through their server since I've done this?

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2006, 10:41 AM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

No they don't have access to your BIS mail, and Cingular won't deal with Yahoo. Corporate competition. Can't remember the ownership issue and wish someone would post it again, but Yahoo doesn't integrate with Cingular. Plenty of pissed off people. I have thought of jumping to VZ.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
Texas_Traveler
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

You can use Yahoo with Cingular if it is a paid Yahoo account, accessible via POP3. This is a polled email account, like any other POP3 account.

Has there been any clear reason why Cingular won't support real-time Yahoo access and access to free Yahoo accounts like other carriers? I haven't seen any real answer.

Obviously there must have been an argument when the strategic marketing people from Yahoo and AT&T played golf or some other "huge issue".
Old 09-12-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
Strugglin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T Orange

Is that why i can't use Yahoo Messenger on my Cingular BB??
Old 09-12-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
westphilly

Model: n/a
Default Here is what I did

I paid the 20 dollars to get Yahoo Plus. Then I just fowarded my email in yahoo to one of the accounts I was able to set up on my blackberry (I set up a mycingular.blackberry account)

Hope this helps
Old 09-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
nef

Model: 8300
PIN: 240c22c

Actually you can use yahoo on the 8700c. Cingular is pushing their mobile email kinda hard right now and yahoo is one of the 5 email carriers that are supported.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #7
zerog2k

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by nef
Actually you can use yahoo on the 8700c. Cingular is pushing their mobile email kinda hard right now and yahoo is one of the 5 email carriers that are supported.
Since when?
As far as I know, Yahoo and Cingular DO NOT play together nicely, at least as far as BB goes (which is strange because some devices work fine, i.e., Y! Messenger on Cingulars RAZR - go figure!)
Old 09-21-2006, 10:18 PM   #8
echang2

Model: 9000

I just tried. It still doesn't work with free yahoo accounts and BIS 2.0.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:02 AM   #9
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Using BIS with Yahoo Mail requires a Mail Plus account - "The ability to access Yahoo! Mail via a POP3 email client (such as Outlook or Outlook Express) is only available to customers of our premium Yahoo! Mail Plus service."

It's unclear if you can forward with a standard Yahoo Mail account, however "If you enable email forwarding, you will automatically receive email addressed to your Yahoo! Mail account at your forwarding address. New email will not appear in your Yahoo! Mail account while this feature is activated."

Old 09-23-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
blown406

Model: 8700g
Carrier: edgewireless

I posted part of this in another chat earlier, but if you are on a BES, their policy can make ALL incoming e-mail go throught their server before going to your BB. Can they read your e-mails, that I don't know, but they can make all e-mails go through their BES before going to your BB if they write the policy to do so. FYI, the policy is a set of instructions that are pushed from the BES to the BB to set certain parameters or limitations.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:10 PM   #11
echang2

There was another post earlier today suggesting that unpaid Yahoo mail and Cingular BIS 2.0 accounts work. I tried and it does indeed work. I was able to add it by going to the webclient and adding my Yahoo account information and I'm now receiving my free Yahoo mail account on my 8700.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:31 AM   #12
ceebz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 23F2E165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strugglin
Is that why i can't use Yahoo Messenger on my Cingular BB??
Yes. There is a way around this however; if your 8700 is unlocked, pop in a T-Mobile sim, sign into Yahoo Messenger so that the app will download the service book, once you're signed in power down, swap back to your cingy sim and surprise, surprise, the Yahoo Messenger service book is still there and it works.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:12 PM   #13
rcgroups1

Model: 7290
Carrier: cingular

Yes yahoo free account works. I just added mine. What are other free carriers apart from yahoo and google?
Old 09-30-2006, 10:08 AM   #14
joaquin654
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: yeah baby !
Carrier: AT&T Mobility
Question plz tell me how ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by echang2
There was another post earlier today suggesting that unpaid Yahoo mail and Cingular BIS 2.0 accounts work. I tried and it does indeed work. I was able to add it by going to the webclient and adding my Yahoo account information and I'm now receiving my free Yahoo mail account on my 8700.

i have been trying to get my BB 8700c from cingular to access yahoo mail for months and it didn't work with 1.8 .... and still doesn't work with 2.0 on MY 8700c from cingular ... i'm in NYC area if that helps at all . share the details on how you got your 8700 to get yahoo mail ( free account , not plus ) ...

thankx a million
Old 09-30-2006, 10:26 AM   #15
joaquin654
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: yeah baby !
Carrier: AT&T Mobility
Talking yo u sir , are INDEED right !

Quote:
Originally Posted by echang2

i'm not sure how or if i can change my previous post ( trying to maintain proper forum posting manners ) lol , but i can confirm that my BB 8700c with cingular service here in NYC metro area indeed alllows for your yahoo email ( free account , not plus ) to get sent to your blackberry !!!! woo-hoo !!!! i'm a happy camper .... hey stinsindogg , plz don't go to verizon , tried them for 12 days and went running back to cingular and there not so bright CS just because of misterious things happening with verizon and there " reliable " network . don't get me wrong , signal was good but my bill even after canceling was worse than cingular plus i had to fight with 4 reps to not pay disconnectio fees even though i cancelled within the 15 days " trial " period . yeah , pure BS that was . what they don't tell you is you have 15 from purchase to try the phone , service , return the phone , make sure its in there system , process in the retuns dep. , fully goes through the return , and issue the returns confirmation and all this in there system BY THE 15th DAY ! .... what a rip .

p.s. sorry to go off topic , trying to save a man's life though ,
Old 09-30-2006, 10:34 AM   #16
eros18

Model: 8300
Default Free Yahoo mail works!!

Just for the heck of it I decided to add my yahoo account to my BB 8700C. It worked. Not sure why others have issues. I am on 2.0. Surprisingly, it worked considerably well. I sent an e-mail from a corporate exchange account to my yahoo account and within 5 seconds it was already on my BB.

I never added it because this yahoo account gets spammed to death but I've had it for about 9 years and still use it. *sigh* SPAM!!!! *sigh*
Old 09-30-2006, 10:36 AM   #17
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin654
i'm not sure how or if i can change my previous post ( trying to maintain proper forum posting manners ) lol , but i can confirm that my BB 8700c with cingular service here in NYC metro area indeed alllows for your yahoo email ( free account , not plus ) to get sent to your blackberry !!!! woo-hoo !!!! i'm a happy camper .... hey stinsindogg , plz don't go to verizon , tried them for 12 days and went running back to cingular and there not so bright CS just because of misterious things happening with verizon and there " reliable " network . don't get me wrong , signal was good but my bill even after canceling was worse than cingular plus i had to fight with 4 reps to not pay disconnectio fees even though i cancelled within the 15 days " trial " period . yeah , pure BS that was . what they don't tell you is you have 15 from purchase to try the phone , service , return the phone , make sure its in there system , process in the retuns dep. , fully goes through the return , and issue the returns confirmation and all this in there system BY THE 15th DAY ! .... what a rip .

p.s. sorry to go off topic , trying to save a man's life though ,
Yup aint going but would love to see an equivalent to evdo on GSM sooner rather than later.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:19 PM   #18
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

This is the forwward info.
There are boxes to check off next to some options and a place for the email address

Cingular is owned by ATT and ATT has email aggrements with Yahoo.

POP Access & Forwarding

Web & POP Access [POP Settings]
Access AT&T Yahoo! Mail via the web interface and through any email program using POP3 (e.g., Eudora, Outlook, or Netscape Mail).

When downloading new messages:
I don't want to receive any messages that SpamGuard thinks are spam

I want to receive all messages, including those that SpamGuard thinks are spam
For messages that SpamGuard thinks are spam, add [Bulk] as a prefix to the subject
Learn more about these options - View POP Settings

Forwarding
Forward incoming AT&T Yahoo! Mail messages to a different email address

Email address:

(e.g. [email address]

arding set up in Yahoo
Closed Thread