BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
fikse69

Model: 8800
Lightbulb Error transferring video files to microSD card

Please Login to Remove!

Greetings -

I'm a new 8800 owner (new to both 8800 specifically and BBs in general). I've been happily transferring and listening to MP3s files from the 2 GB Sandisk microSD card I added.

However, I am having problems transferring larger WMV video files (e.g., 160 MB). After 30 seconds or so of copying, I get a cryptic error "An error occurred while communicating with the Blackberry device". Does anyone know what might cause that? Is there a file size limit to files transferred to a microSD card? Is there some kind of power-save mode that kicks in?

Thanks in advance,
Klavs
Old 03-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

How were you copying- explorer or DM?
Old 03-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
fikse69

I'm using DM.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't view the files on the memory card in the Media player if using Explorer/Mass Storage Mode?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
b00st3d
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikse69
I'm using DM.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't view the files on the memory card in the Media player if using Explorer/Mass Storage Mode?
enabling mass storage mode just allows your BB to come up on your computer as a drive letter so that way you can just drag and drop files...you will still be able to play the files in media player as long as you place the files in the right directories (music in music folder/pictures in pictures folder/etc...)
Old 03-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #5
H3LLFIRE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

I had the same problem transferring windows media files directly to the microSD. I think the 8800's processor requires the video files to be compressed down. The Blackberry Video Convertor application is working great for me so far:

Seabyrd Technologies - Blackberry Video Converter

Once converted you can transfer video files using the Media Manager. This has been covered in other threads, but I hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
b00st3d
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

i have multiple 200+mb files that i transferred using mass storage mode...ive never tried using the media manager to do it.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
H3LLFIRE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Really? Hmm, maybe it's just my luck. I like the video converter because it shrinks my files down so that I can fit a ton on the media card. There are certain videos of my family that I like to take with me when I'm away at conferences. The more I can fit on the card the better. The one thing I hate is that I have to convert each file individually, and it can get time consuming quickly.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
fikse69

Strange - I enabled mass storage mode again, and was able to copy files. I'm not so much surprised that I was able to copy, but this time the Media player was actually able to see the files on the microSD card (last time I had mass storage enabled, it couldn't see them).

Btw - a somewhat unrelated follow-up:
Is there a way to switch applications for a while and then back to the Media player without getting kicked back out in the file/folder view and having to select the file all over again? I'm trying to just pause a podcast or whatever I'm listening to, but the way I'm currently doing it, I'm having to manually FFWD to the spot where I paused. Isn't there a way to just have the Media player resume when I switch back to it?
Old 03-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #9
DMOEsq

fikse69:

My 1st post and I actually have an answer rather than a question. While in the video (or audio) player pause the movie (song or podcast), then click the menu button, scroll down to "hide", and click. The media player will disappear. To make it re-appear, click on the media player icon from the home screen and voila!!! The media file should be right where you left off.

Don
Old 03-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #10
fikse69

Thanks - while that works, and so does a number of other ways of switching apps, I finally figured out what I was dealing with: It was the Security Timeout kicking in after 10 mins. That caused Media player to stop and go back out to the file browsing mode. I bumped that time back up to 1 hr which works well enough for now, but I suspect it will go back down to 10 mins once my company's IT dept automatically refreshes the policy again.

Does anyone know of a way to not have the security timeout impact the running apps?

Thanks.
Closed Thread