ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith93 View Post
I looked up some definitions....
Iphone: A toy used by 3 year olds to wipe their a**'s.....
Blackberry Storm: A High tech device used for data and voice and has the capability unlike toys to run with real servers at the click of a screen...

The iphone is a toy and is basically an ipod touch with crappy voice service and what is known to iphoner's as "a good phone"... if thats good then i don't know what isnt good.... The iphone is a fun toy but at the end of the day the blackberry storm is the overall better device... unless u are 3 and need to wipe ur a**!
I bet you joined the forums just to say that. Your childish comments add nothing to the discussion here.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #62
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plakius View Post
And I also like having the option of having more control of my ring tones ... I make my own.... When I had the iPhone i found that you could only add ring tones for phone calls ... As with BB my sms rings different than my emails, as does facebook, mms, aim, yahoo mess, gchat, and BLACKBERRY MESSENGER which is a huge part of my life ... I love being able to send a contact card through it .... that is major
I have to agree with you there.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #63
4Runner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Alltel
Default Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I have to agree with you there.

Not a deal breaker but I would like to set different tones and volumes based which type of alert. Send that in via feedback on apple.

Exchange works fine and messages are pushed just like on my BB. We did a side by side test. You are refering to the other "fetch" accounts which mine is set to 5mins and works perfectly with weak signals.

Again, the phone functionality of the iPhone is one of the most impressive features for me....maybe I just didn't have high enough expectations...I have used a BB for so long that is all I really remember and my BB as a phone has always been fine other than the "feel" of it when talking. Don't know but the phone part of the iPhone is really a positive for me.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #64
4Runner

Default Not too bad though

Quote:
Originally Posted by modulo View Post
this thread is a train wreck.

i will offer up my story on why i passed up the iphone. im a software engineer, working in both 3d development as well as web dev (everything from database to front end engineering). i used a mac mini every day for 3 years and it was a painful experience. not that i have anything against apple, but windows environments are much more comfortable for me. i am very happy with windows both work and play (i am also a designer and photographer, freelance).
I have been a Windows user since forever and switched to Mac almost 3 years ago. Definitely a different way of thinking and functioning. It took sometime to relearn but the learning curve was fairly flat. I’m fine with my PC at work but just prefer Mac. I have not developed anything on the Apple side so no clue there. I certainly can understand people becoming more comfortable with one vs the other. Makes sense.

Quote:
i have tried to give apple more chances, first with itunes then with an ipod. again, both of these products did nothing but cause problems and make life more difficult. i still use my ipod and itunes, the ipod uses usb connectivity to my car stereo (the reason i bought it) and when its not freezing or crashing, it does an ok job. itunes on the other hand is very buggy, user unfriendly and is a memory hog. unfortunately there really isnt anything else out there. rhapsody is a tragic disaster and not a viable alternative.
Now this is odd. I never did much with digital music until Mac so I don’t know any different but most people run to Mac for this stuff. I thought this was Macs bread and butter. I have not experienced these freeze ups like posted but my friend did bring his iPod to me last year and I showed him how to reset it. You might try mac again whenever your PC dies or is due for an upgrade.

Quote:
now for the iphone. the iphone (i have only used the 3g) does have some impressive innovations along with a snappy, clean and well polished OS. this struck me as a surprise considering i did not like OSX (dont remember the version)... at all. device design and software does what it needs to do very well, and i have respect for apple in bringing this to the market because it will drive companies, companies I personally like, to make better products. the reason i passed on the iphone was its poor performance as an actual phone. i realize some of this is related to the service, but much of it is a sign of apples inexperience in this particular technology. i did not find that their updates were either prompt or ever really addressed the problems i had with the product. it was all too familiar as an apple product that was only going to make my life more difficult. unfortunately the "it just works" slogan has never applied to me. anyway, i passed on the g1 also, basically because the device was a joke and a huge let down, but i have my eye closely on android and cant wait to watch it grow up.
OS X is very clean, polished and efficient. iPhone is very Mac like. I agree with your assessment of the OS. Not sure why the phone function did not meet your expectation though. Seems odd and I can only wonder how much was AT&T in your area. We are well covered with 3G and EDGE coverage holds me over while I’m “in the sticks” of my state. Never had a problem with AT&T with my BB and don’t have one with my iPhone either. I was told 3G would have much improved voice quality but it seemed no different to me. I guess it doesn’t “just work” for everyone but it certainly does for me.

Quote:
finally, i got to the storm and decided i was ready to jump in. the feature set meets my needs better than any other phone on the market. it meets the standard in most areas and sets new standards in other areas. its a decent first stab and i hope it gets better, because i have thoroughly enjoyed using it this last week and want to stay in the BB family for a while. not only for the device, but for the way rim develops their software and embraces businesses work flow.
Good deal. Touch screens are not for everyone but for those that make the transition it is very nice…no matter which device you choose. People have different preferences and you just have to choose what works best for you. I’m not sure why there are so many BB folks that are so defensive of the success of the iPhone. Weird. Just pick which one you like best but it certainly doesn’t mean the other device sux, or is a toy, or fad….Maybe the iPhoners are bashing the STORM for no good reason too. Not sure. Both devices are very nice and have strengths and weaknesses. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:41 PM   #65
xxaarraa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: The New Cingular

All you BB fanbois need to take it easy and go get a soda or something. Beat on the iphone as much as you want, but it is THE benchmark among all touch screen devices and deservedly so. With the iphone, its not about features and what it can and what it cant do. It is about the overall tactile and user experience and the seamlessness of it.

I have had BBs for 4 years, windows mobile phones, Symbian, iphone and I can say each has its appeal.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 12-02-2008 at 11:42 PM..
Old 12-03-2008, 02:24 AM   #66
viet2100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I believe the iPhone's OS is Linux based... not based off OSX...
Old 12-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #67
4Runner

Default Not sure but

Quote:
Originally Posted by viet2100 View Post
I believe the iPhone's OS is Linux based... not based off OSX...
Why do you post that? Linux is open source and free?

There is a bunch of info on the Apple site about the UNIX foundation of OSX though and Apple has communicated from the beginning that the iPhone's OS is based on OSX. Anyway, just curious.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #68
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
Why do you post that? Linux is open source and free?

There is a bunch of info on the Apple site about the UNIX foundation of OSX though and Apple has communicated from the beginning that the iPhone's OS is based on OSX. Anyway, just curious.
4Runner is correct. It's based off OSX, not Linux.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #69
Thiego-uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: SGS2
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Im the one that beleive the mobile should meet the owner needs! Im very happy with my BB, i have a 9000, and was looking very much for the Storm but just wont walk into a Vodafone to get it. Ill wait it comes on T-Mob, while i wait im happy with my Bold, im not heavy bronser user as fortunately i have a PC for this but my Bold suits my needs. If ur happy with a Iphone, i bet the an Ipod would be cheaper and have the same utilities.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #70
deathbyart
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
4Runner is correct. It's based off OSX, not Linux.
In which case OS X is Unix based...
Old 12-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #71
tduffy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

[QUOTE=4Runner;1191746]
Not a fix but a feature. Personally I see no need for MMS....I have email so what the heck?

QUOTE]

Well I see a MAJOR need or MMS. How am i supposed to send pics and videos to people with dumb phones with no email?? I use MMS daily.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #72
4Runner

Default iPod Touch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiego-uk View Post
Im the one that beleive the mobile should meet the owner needs! Im very happy with my BB, i have a 9000, and was looking very much for the Storm but just wont walk into a Vodafone to get it. Ill wait it comes on T-Mob, while i wait im happy with my Bold, im not heavy bronser user as fortunately i have a PC for this but my Bold suits my needs. If ur happy with a Iphone, i bet the an Ipod would be cheaper and have the same utilities.
I can't use an iPod touch because I need a phone. I need to talk to people and txt them. Also, as good as WiFi is in my area, it doesn't have anywhere near the same coverage as 3G and I like being connected no matter where I am. I actually looked at the opposite way as your post, I went with an iPhone and saw no value in the iPod Touch for me anyway. I wanted one device to do it all. Unfortunately I still have my work BB 8830 though.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #73
4Runner

Default Mms

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
Not a fix but a feature. Personally I see no need for MMS....I have email so what the heck?

Well I see a MAJOR need or MMS. How am i supposed to send pics and videos to people with dumb phones with no email?? I use MMS daily.
I hear this at times. It does seem like the masses want it. MMS is apparently just around the corner so that should satisfy some people. To respond to your ?, I would get them a smartphone for Christmas. lol
Closed Thread