Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
tjhosea

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Battery Drain problem as a result of .148

Please Login to Remove!

Im sure I have missed a post discussing this, but I was running .75 and never had any battery issues. Fully charged would last about 2 days with normal use. Now it won't last more than 8 hours with very minimal use. Only started happening after I loaded .148 (through Wireless upgrade). Anyone else having this problem. Anyway to fix? All my programs are closed as soon as I am done with them.

Such as a pain, wish I would've never upgraded, as .75 was running fine.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I have read a few .75 upgraders mentioning battery drain after the .148 install. My suggestion is to give a couple of days of normal use and charging, before judgment. I've heard back from a couple who said it normalized after that period.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
dawiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 31394XXX

My battery drains but not so bad...my memory sucks!!! For the first time my memory is down to 7.8...with .75 the lowest I'd seen was 19.something but 7.8....ridiculous. Hopefully that will all be resolved soon...it's work in progress
Old 06-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
lostman72
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhosea View Post
Im sure I have missed a post discussing this, but I was running .75 and never had any battery issues. Fully charged would last about 2 days with normal use. Now it won't last more than 8 hours with very minimal use. Only started happening after I loaded .148 (through Wireless upgrade). Anyone else having this problem. Anyway to fix? All my programs are closed as soon as I am done with them.

Such as a pain, wish I would've never upgraded, as .75 was running fine.
I have found that my battery life was also bad. What it was for me and most is some of the 3rd party APP’s. I had Poynt and when I removed that app my battery went back to normal. I think App writers like Poynt need to update their code so it works better with 148. You might have to remove one app at a time to find out what one it is.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
rhn1975
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VzW

I upgraded from .75 to .148 and have no issues at all. If anything it looks like battery life has improved slightly and more importantly memory has been drastically improved. I do make it a point though to close any application I am not using so that it is not running in the background. Make sure you fully charge your phone via the wall adaptor and try cycling through it a few days. You should not experinece any degradation because of going to .148
Old 06-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
dawiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhn1975 View Post
I upgraded from .75 to .148 and have no issues at all. If anything it looks like battery life has improved slightly and more importantly memory has been drastically improved. I do make it a point though to close any application I am not using so that it is not running in the background. Make sure you fully charge your phone via the wall adaptor and try cycling through it a few days. You should not experinece any degradation because of going to .148
I let my battery drained to red outline...charge fully...unplug it this morning...and my battery has only 1 bar now...less than 40 mins talk time...did a batt pull since morning and my memory is down to 19.8...so I don't know what the heck u talking about!!!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:17 AM   #7
wellerjeff

Default Same here

I also have identical symptoms and have not figured it out. ever since update my battery lasts maybe 8 hours if I'm lucky. Verizon is no help.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
lostman72

Once again it depends on the 3rd party apps you have. We have 3 storms in my home and each one have the apps we like. The other two storms would work great. My phone would die in about 4 to 5 hours. Like I said in the post above after I removed Poynt my trouble went away. Please list the 3rd party apps so we can help you. This is not the fault of 148. Just like any other OS when you get upgrades the 3rd party software also needs to be upgraded to work with the phone. Sometimes you can delete and reinstall the App and that might also fix the problem.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
dawiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostman72 View Post
Once again it depends on the 3rd party apps you have. We have 3 storms in my home and each one have the apps we like. The other two storms would work great. My phone would die in about 4 to 5 hours. Like I said in the post above after I removed Poynt my trouble went away. Please list the 3rd party apps so we can help you. This is not the fault of 148. Just like any other OS when you get upgrades the 3rd party software also needs to be upgraded to work with the phone. Sometimes you can delete and reinstall the App and that might also fix the problem.
How would you explain the upgrade on a phone with no 3rd party apps? 3rd party apps could be contributor but not the sole reason. I haven't installed a single app on my phone...as a matter of fact i've deleted quite a few that it came with and i didn't need!
Old 06-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
hconcha

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telcel
Default Battery draining

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawiz View Post
How would you explain the upgrade on a phone with no 3rd party apps? 3rd party apps could be contributor but not the sole reason. I haven't installed a single app on my phone...as a matter of fact i've deleted quite a few that it came with and i didn't need!
I read recently in RIM help page, that you should CLOSE the applications after using them. If not they keep on running in the background causing the battery to wear off. I hope this helps. Cheers!
Old 06-06-2009, 03:35 AM   #11
lostman72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawiz View Post
what you are saying is new to me? I would call tech support at Verizon on that one.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #12
tjhosea

Model: Storm

I try to keep my apps at a min, but here they are:

Facebook - just updated 1.6 this morning
Myspace
Twitterberry
Google Maps
BB Trans - Translator software
ESPN Mobile Link
GMail
Weatherbug

After the facebook reboot I was at 39.4M free memory, which i am assuming is decent.
I always turn off my apps after running them.

I guess I will uninstall all and reinstall.

Any other suggestions?
Old 06-07-2009, 02:39 AM   #13
lostman72

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhosea View Post
I try to keep my apps at a min, but here they are:

Facebook - just updated 1.6 this morning
Myspace
Twitterberry
Google Maps
BB Trans - Translator software
ESPN Mobile Link
GMail
Weatherbug

After the facebook reboot I was at 39.4M free memory, which i am assuming is decent.
I always turn off my apps after running them.

I guess I will uninstall all and reinstall.

Any other suggestions?
Some have said that Weatherbug can be a drain on the battery. I have weatherbug. I had it all the way from .75-.148. I did change weather bug to update every 1hr. I just placed Poynt back on my phone and so far so good? I am not sure about ESPN, that you have? Does that update scores all day? Well I wish you luck.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:20 AM   #14
daveislander

Model: STORM
Carrier: Vodafone

Having just posted on the version page that my storm now only lasts about 10 hours after the update where as before it would go on for days, i now find this thread which shows that others have a similar issue.. DUH! Despite the posts claiming its app related I have no apps installed so it aint that! I did change from 3g to GPRS as I dont get a 3G signal at home and this got me a little more life, and I also turned off the Bluetooth as its so restrictive on a BB that its not worth the hassle and again I got a bit more, but its not where it was. I have now reverted back to the old version and all is where it was before... Its not common but it does happen with this update and the easiest solution is to revert in my opinion.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #15
dawiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Trying to clear up this "3rd party apps draining battery" concept. Thought I had all apps deleted but facebook was still on...now my device is back to the "virgin"state. All applications without a version 4.7 as been deleted. I will make my battery performance results known.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #16
shark86x

Model: 9500
Carrier: verizon

I upgraded mine and my battery now drains rapidly. Full charge to completely dead within about 4 hours, and nothing is running other than the mobile network. No bluetooth, no GPS, no phonecalls or messages. I pulled the battery both before and after the upgrade. (Several times after to try to correct the problem)

3rd party apps installed (but not used after reset): weatherbug, opera mini, google maps.

Also, it does not seem like it's the battery that is running hot. The battery is at the top and it's cool. The bottom half of the phone is hot.

Last edited by shark86x; 06-08-2009 at 02:36 PM..
Old 06-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #17
project86
Thumbs Must Hurt

If cell phone companies would use NiMH batteries instead I think it would make cell phones last a lot longer. But, there isn't any money in that. They will "lose" money if they made a better battery. You wouldn't go out and buy an extended battery or replacement battery if that were the case. They can care less about the consumer.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:32 PM   #18
NovaM
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 30EC2A70
Carrier: Telus Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
If cell phone companies would use NiMH batteries instead I think it would make cell phones last a lot longer. But, there isn't any money in that. They will "lose" money if they made a better battery. You wouldn't go out and buy an extended battery or replacement battery if that were the case. They can care less about the consumer.
Uhhhh... There's so much wrong with that statement, I'm not sure where to begin... So I'll just skip it.

Most of what people are having an issue with here is likely 3rd party apps... and if it's not 3rd party, some of the RIM apps do draw a hefty amount all by themselves... maps is a good cuprit if you leave the GPS enabled, easy test is to turn off ALL GPS features from the Advanced Options menu, run it for a day and see what happens.

If you've got only 4 hours with a bare-bones OS load however, and the phone is hot, there's a constant network connection running most likely... the radio in use is what warms up a phone fastest. If you did your OS upgrate OTA, might I suggest downloading the PC install, and doing a full wipe and reload. Chances are something is "stuck" in the software load. personally, with each new OS, I wipe my phone down to spec. and restore my contacts, calender, bookmarks, themes, and 3rd party apps afterwards3rd party apps I usually download fresh from the app store or the creator web sites, just to make sure I get the latest version at the time too.

At any given time, I run:
Facebook
AIM
MSN
UberTwitter
Poynt
A Personal Assistant
SpeedTest
Travel Genius
The Hockey News
TheWeatherNetwork
YouTube

I leave NOTHING open once I finish using it.

On a heavy email/sms day, I make it 12 hours, BUT I also use it as my MP3 player for that whole 12 hours as well.

The phone wasn't really build for longevity with a 1400mAh battery... That's a pittance when it comes to connectivity, and that big beautiful bright(brighter than the iPhone i might add) screen. I carry a spare battery when I'm out of town. I've a cradle in the car, the bedroom, and the desk at work(Pretty much only use my bedside though)

One last note... I upgrade faithfully every time an OS update comes out, and the one thing I've noticed, is that aside from the major changes to things like cut/paste(thank doG, the pre-121 was deplorable) is that the network speed was drastically increased... Currently I average 400Kb/s to/from the handheld, before 121 and later I was lucky to break 100Kb/s.

Last edited by NovaM; 06-08-2009 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: Last note on why to upgrade
Old 06-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #19
shark86x

Model: 9500
Carrier: verizon

I'll second the probable cause as third party apps. I uninstalled all my 3rd party apps - GoggleMaps, Opera Mini and Weatherbug - as well as V-Cast (I never use it), and the phone is now back to normal. Runs cool, no battery drain. I was a little shocked because I didn't start any of these up after the upgrade, but I guess they must run in the background anyway. I did the upgrade via PC, not OTA.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #20
DonJose
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 21A21D4B
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I had the same problem, turned off GPS completely and the life of my battery has greatly improved. Third apps like Weather Bug are also disabled to run the GPS and auto update.
Closed Thread