BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #21
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

JSanders -- I guess it's just me. I was very surprised not to be able to get along with it - I really expected to love it. To be honest, my brother and I both got them at the same time and I expected there was a better than 50% chance he would not adapt but he's the one who loves it.

Oh well. You all won't get rid of me completely -- I still have the work Tour so will still be posting.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #22
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2
Carrier: Verizon

I love my S2, it did take a some adjusting but typing quick on it now, just a learning curve.

Anyone use pattern lock on theirs?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #23
the maddman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
PIN: 3312e4fc

I've got my Storm2 now, and the layout on the keyboard isn't exactly the same. In portrait mode, I'm constantly hitting Backspace when I mean to hit enter. The feel of the click on the screen was extremely rough for the first week as well.

I've already been through two phones that wouldn't click in one of the corners as well. But I'm getting used to this one now.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #24
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask

I am amazed but I think some people are hooked on physical keyboards and subconciously they simply aren't amenable to change unless they are simply forced to. I am familiar with this because I have a buddy who swore he would never own a computer because it was for "lazy people". When forced with becoming computer proficient or losing his job he made the jump. Within a month he was raving on how wonderful computers were.....

I can't imagine how the tiny Qwerty keyboards are somehow preferred over the Storm landscaped touch screen keyboard, and I have big gorilla mits. Additionally, pulling phone contacts is a breeze. If the contact has multiple numbers you thumb across the selections and press down when the desired number is highlighted. I do this with one hand.

I think Txlady simply didn't play with the Tap Interval, Hover Period, and Swipe Sensitivity Settings. I know this is the case and its kinda sad she left before getting the right settings and falling in love with the phone.

Additionally, we didn't feel like you were attacking us TxLady. LOL. We just love our phones and get exasperated when we know all it takes with be a few minor tweaks to keep you in the family. But you still got a Tour so ROCK ON!

Verizon 9530
Old 12-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #25
TXLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
I think Txlady simply didn't play with the Tap Interval, Hover Period, and Swipe Sensitivity Settings. I know this is the case and its kinda sad she left before getting the right settings and falling in love with the phone.
You are wrong. I did play with the settings and still couldn't get to where I liked it. I could have kept playing with it but my 30 days was running out and I didn't want to get stuck with a phone that I just didn't really like.

On the other hand, after less than 24 hours, I already love the Droid. There are things I like better on the BB but after 3 weeks, I couldn't get more than Luke warm about the Storm 2. Neither the Storm 2 nor the Droid are perfect -- there is plenty of room for both.

Bottom line - we all react differently to different things. The fact that I just couldn't really like the Storm 2 does not make me a troglodyte. Many of you seem to assume that not liking this one phone means that I am not adaptable or that I am resistant to change. I have to assure you that is not the norm for me. I am normally an early adaptor. I usually upgrade my phone at least once per year and over the last several years have gone through Symbian, Windows, Mobile, and Blackberry, and now Android. (But never the iPhone!) I don't expect my relationship with a phone (or a specific OS) to be a life-long affair.

As stated before, I'm not abandoning the Blackberry completely. Who knows, maybe the "Storm 3" or some other model may lure me back in a year. In the meantime, I'll continue to haunt the BB forums to keep current on what's going on and be on the look-out for that model. (Besides, I like the people on this board. They seem less juvenile than many boards I frequent.)

Last edited by TXLady; 12-10-2009 at 04:51 PM..
Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #26
WPWoodJr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A

I got a Droid on Nov 6 but returned it last week and went back to my Pearl. The Droid is like a small tablet computer and its wonderful, but its not a great phone. Making a phone call is especially tedious - turn on, swipe, exit app to home screen, press phone icon, press contacts list or call log - vs press green button on BB. Also there is no mute button, the volume buttons are hard to differentiate, the Bluetooth is flaky with my car.

I'm looking hard at the Storm. Just wish it was fast like the Droid. I don't really understand why it isn't - has the same processor and a graphics card too. But the Storm feels slow and clunky. I am much faster on its keyboard than the Droid however. On the Droid when touching the screen I always was worried I would touch something by mistake. Not a problem on the Storm, with its SurePress.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #27
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

The Droid is a cool phone. Actually, I was passing through the Schipol Airport in Amsterdam last summer when the European Google Phone (Android) was coming onto the scene. They were letting people test drive a few phones and I had a 5 hour layover so I handled the phone for a bit. I really liked it but that particular model was definitely not a pocket phone. The keyboard was cool but it seemed to make the phone feel oversized. Google should have stuck to a touch keyboard and the phone would have been smaller and sexier.

As MAC user, I was all ready to transition to the iPhone when it was released. The iPhone is definitely an amazing device. It's slim, looks awesome, its fast, colorful display, etc. But it can't send MMS and the email isn't as quick at Blackberry push email. It's more of a toy than a professional device. Additionally, its on the AT&T network which is totally subpar. I travel frequently and Verizon reigns supreme in the US. No competition whatsoever. These AT&T commercials touting coverage are simply false advertisement.

After handling all three I am honestly more inclined to type on a Storm due to surepress. Touching the Google phone or the iPhone routinely leads to mistaken processes. Surepress is the solution. Email, SMS, MMS, all fast on the Storm. Since OS 5.0 I am confident to put the Storm ahead of both phones. The only complaint I still have is the Storm is noticeably heavy for a cellular phone. I was surprised the Storm 2 wasn't engineered to be lighter and I am sure its quite possible to make that reality.

Overall, TxLady is a physical keyboard gal and with that being the case, I am thinking the Droid was a good move. My wife is also teetering between the Storm 2 and the Droid. On the basis of TxLady's reaction, I am gonna step aside and let the little lady make her own choice.

TxLady, you will be back, and we will welcome your return with big hugs and kisses. ;)

Verizon 9530
Old 12-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #28
ma_client

Model: 7100T
Carrier: Bell

After reading all the comments, I have a second thoughts on S2 now.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #29
Sean1198

PIN: 3103d18e

i have the first storm and it only took a week or two to get going on the keyboard. i love it
Old 12-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #30
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

I went from a 8830 to the S2 about two weeks ago. I found by holding the Storm vertical I could type a lot faster than I did on the 8830 with far fewer mistakes. I am a believer.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #31
fkjr2

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

Well I Must say I am back to the Storm 2 from the Bold - I can not digest the 9700's smaller screen from my 9000 and I want to upgrade phones due to low memory and 5.0 - so now I am wicked fast with the Storm's Sure press!

Never thought I would say that.

Just give it a chance. You will improve.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #32
MushroomStamp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

I agree.. I am FRUSTRATED with typing on the Storm.. I would say my typing productivity has gone down 75%.. I miss my bold :( The odd thing is.. if I use my son's Droid. I can type way faster using the touch screen. the Storm 2 CONSISTENTLY picks the wrong letter I am intending... why don't other touch screens present the same problem? not sure :(
Old 12-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #33
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

heh.. as usual... user experience varies.

I can type faster on the Storm2 (9520) than on my Bold and certainly quicker than on my 9530.

Great typing, great screen, great OS.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #34
TXLady

And you know what's really funny? My biggest complaint about the Storm 2 was not being able to get used to typing on the screen so I thought that I really needed the keyboard. But with the Droid, I find typing on the screen easy! Even though the on-screen keyboard is in portrait mode only so the keys are really small. But I use that as much or more than I bother pulling out the keyboard. I've decided that it's just something about the sensitivity or way you must touch the keys that I couldn't get on the Storm 2 but can on the Droid.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #35
MushroomStamp
Thumbs Must Hurt

That's what I sad.. It's the software for recognition! ... and why cant I have a bubble of the letter I am touching pop up like other touchscreens do :(
Old 12-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #36
xtimedt69

Default Storm Typing

I joined this forum to vent my frustration with this device. I know I will get flamed. I have had the Storm for 2 weeks.

I had a Curve and could type FAST! But the screen size and browser did not meet my needs. I got the Storm and I like the browser and feel of the device but typing drives me mad. I too have almost thrown this against a wall.

I detest having to constantly backspace to fix errors caused by the fact that the device chooses the letter next to the one I typed. I also detest Surepress (it is anything but) and wish I could turn it off. I know there are many Surepress deciples, but allowing us to turn it off would not deprive you of your "Oh Boy" experience. It is not necessary.

This is not a metter of being resistant to change, it is that a device should serve me and no me serve it.

I am debating going back to my curve, but I have to give up screen size, have a crappy browser.

It is very frustrating to be in this position.

Dave
Old 12-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #37
MushroomStamp
Thumbs Must Hurt

100% agreed! The #1 reason for me to have switched from my bold to the S2 was for teh screen viewing size.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #38
xtimedt69

Other than the typing the phone is great. Even Beautiful.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #39
MushroomStamp
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just updated to OS 5.0.0.428 .. and guess what.. it now has Letter Indicator for the keyboard and it's making a HUGE difference (option is not on by default and needed to be manually set in Screen/KB options)
Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #40
WPWoodJr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLady View Post
And you know what's really funny? My biggest complaint about the Storm 2 was not being able to get used to typing on the screen so I thought that I really needed the keyboard. But with the Droid, I find typing on the screen easy! Even though the on-screen keyboard is in portrait mode only so the keys are really small. But I use that as much or more than I bother pulling out the keyboard. I've decided that it's just something about the sensitivity or way you must touch the keys that I couldn't get on the Storm 2 but can on the Droid.
The Droid has a landscape on-screen keyboard too. Just turn it sideways

I can't agree though - the Storm 2 is easier to type on even tethered to the display in the Verizon store.
Closed Thread