BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
ss0R
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Default Curve shutting off - battery issue?

Please Login to Remove!

This just started happening a few days ago, but it’s getting really annoying. I’ll be using my curve, and it will have anywhere between 50% and 80% battery charge, and then it will suddenly shut off. The only way to get it to turn back on is to pull out the battery and put it back in. When it boots back up, it shows the battery at 5% and either shuts back off or turns off the radio and goes into its low battery mode. At this point, I can pull the battery any number of times, but it always comes back with 5% battery life.

However, if I plug in the charger for a second, then do a battery pull, it comes back after the reboot showing the battery life from before (50-80%). Has anyone seen anything like this before? Is it a bad battery? Is there anything I can try before I buy a new battery? Thanks
Old 10-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
Sk8Surfr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Sounds like a battery... How long have you had it?

Maybe still under warranty?

Mine does the same thing (kind of) but my battery comes back on with more juice than yours... not where it was when it shut off. Mine does it very rarely... Been about 2 months since the last time
Old 10-30-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
ss0R
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've had it for just under a year, so I'll look into the warranty. Do you just live with yours shutting off randomly? Have you tried swapping out your battery?
Old 10-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
seb83

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

I'm getting the same problem but it appears to be only happening when I use my BT headset. Was going to try upgrading my code first, then will look at a new battery. My battery seems to be fine and this reset only seems to happen when I fire up my Bluetooth headset. Will update if it's related to code, might save you a new battery.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
ss0R
Thumbs Must Hurt

Let me know how that works for you, but I've never actually used the bluetooth on my curve, so that's probably not my issue
Old 11-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
RacinDiva

Model: 8310

I'm having the same problem, Minus using the BT headset. I took the batter out like I used to and the phone won't boot back up.(I use AT&T) If it tries to boot back up, the AT&T logo comes up it shuts back off. I have already replaced the battery, and still having the same issue. I don't know if my phone is still under warranty. My dog ate the original one and I bought another on on ebay. I don't know what to do! The seller told me I still had another year. *shrug* Any suggestions?
Old 11-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
qsimpson
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobild

I have the same problem as the OP. I've had it for awhile and its gotten worse over time. Originally it would happen when you used a bar up. It would shut off randomly then to turn it back on you'd have to take out battery and put it back in, then the battery drops several bars as if it has lost alot of its charge.

Over time its gotten to the point I can really only use my phone when its plugged in, also now when i charge my phone it always shows the "lighting" indicator (means charging) So my battery is always charging never gets full... I am outside the 1 year warranty by like 1-2 months, but I guess im not alone. I dont think its a battery issue as it is some kind of malfunctioning issue with the phone (just from what i've seen)
Old 11-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
ss0R
Thumbs Must Hurt

My problems now go beyond the random shut-downs. My speaker sounds like it has a cold and my calls are very staticy. I tried wiping it clean with JL_Cmder and installing a fresh OS, but the problems persist. Has anyone else experienced these other symptoms?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
andybob
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss0R View Post
My problems now go beyond the random shut-downs. My speaker sounds like it has a cold and my calls are very staticy. I tried wiping it clean with JL_Cmder and installing a fresh OS, but the problems persist. Has anyone else experienced these other symptoms?
That makes it sound like it is a hardware issue in the phone.

Andybob
Closed Thread