Old 03-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
memetic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 97&81
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmob
Default Very Basic Security Settings & Encryption for the 9700

Please Login to Remove!

After having a number of issues trying to setup some basic security and encryption, I decided to write this up real quick to help any other n00bs having issues like I did.

Setup Password:

Options > Password select "Enable"

Set whatever settings you like. I have five password attempts, one hour security timeout (but I may change to thirty minutes), "Yes" on application install, "Yes" for allow outgoing calls while locked, and "No" for locking on holstering (I use a Body Glove instead).

Now, you can choose to either lock the keyboard, or lock the phone, or both (some people apparently don't like just locking the keyboard because you can just as easily (and accidentally) unlock it with the press of one button (or key)).

Setup Encryption:

Options > Security Options > Encryption select "Enable"

Select your settings, but know this, if you choose to encrypt your contacts you will not be able to see who is calling when the phone is locked – you will only be able to see their number. It is a limitation that has its reasons, but it would be nice to be able to encrypt contacts somehow without disabling caller ID. I don't know how they would solve that. Anyway, I need caller ID, so I just select "No" encryption for my contacts, but "Yes" for everything else.

Also, once you enable encryption, you cannot disable the password (lock). You can change the password and any of the password settings, but you cannot totally disable it. This took me a while to figure out and know else could figure it out either -- it caused me some grief and way too much time. I even upgraded to the latest v. trying to solve it.

Everything above is now based on the latest v. If I could go back, I would have left my phone with v 5.0.0.330, because when I hit the lock key on the top of the phone it enabled the phone lock, NOT the key lock. But that's just my preference.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
TheRinger
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 4
PIN: Whats a pin? lol
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by memetic View Post
Also, once you enable encryption, you cannot disable the password (lock). You can change the password and any of the password settings, but you cannot totally disable it. This took me a while to figure out and know else could figure it out either -- it caused me some grief and way too much time. I even upgraded to the latest v. trying to solve it.
Ty for that part, this i didn't know
Old 03-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
memetic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 97&81
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRinger View Post
Ty for that part, this i didn't know
I don't think anyone does.

edit: my original post should read "...and no one else could figure it out either..."

Last edited by memetic; 03-26-2010 at 04:13 PM..
Closed Thread