BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
mrogers
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T
Default Beta testers needed for new Bold version of bPhone theme!

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone! I haven't been active on here in over a year, since I gave up my BB and bought an iPhone in Dec of '07...but every single day I get requests through my web site (where the current version of bPhone lives) to do newer versions of my bPhone theme for the Bold and Storm, so this week I finally sat down to do it. Well, the Bold version anyway...still don't see a way to do one for the Storm yet.

For those who aren't familiar, bPhone is a popular free iPhone theme for the BlackBerry that I released in September of 2007. It has been downloaded nearly 1 million times, featured on CNet's Download.com, blogged about on hundreds of sites, and even earned me a call from RIM's lawyers last year. It is available for the 8700, 8300 (Curve), 8100 (Pearl), and 8800 series BlackBerries,

Anyway, I'm looking for a handful of Bold owners who would be willing to test the bPhone build for the BlackBerry 9000 aka Bold. I still have a number of custom icons to make (so time consuming!), but the main pieces are in place.

UPDATE: Thank you everyone, I have already received a number of offers. I'll be contacting those people soon. No more testers needed at this time.

I need people who are:
1. Willing to provide constructive, critical feedback;
2. Are at least somewhat familiar with the limitations of BlackBerry themes, so I don't get a bunch of requests for things I can't do;
3. Can correspond quickly via email (hopefully you can, since you have BlackBerry ) and will test out subsequent betas.

If you are interested, please contact me via PM with your email address.

Obviously, I don't have a Bold (or a BlackBerry of any kind, for that matter), so I will be relying on you to make sure the in-hand experience of the theme is positive. The simulator can only show me so much.

This theme will remain free (with donations greatly appreciated). I hope to have it completed within a week or two.

Last edited by mrogers; 01-04-2009 at 04:26 PM..
Old 01-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

He's alive!

I would offer to test, but my Bold is currently broken.

Last edited by ScottMB4; 01-04-2009 at 03:36 PM..
Old 01-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
mrogers

LOL I am indeed! Like I said, I went to the dark side though. Haven't been back here in awhile, but I thought this would be the best place to look for competent, helpful people to test.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
mrogers

Thank you everyone, I have already received a number of offers. I'll be contacting those people soon. No more testers needed at this time.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
mrogers

The beta testers have given me some valuable feedback from real-world use. Thank you.

I have some questions that I hope any BB user can answer though. The core icons are in place, but I'm working on filling out the list as much as possible. However, considering that there's 72 icons listed in the theme builder, I want to cut out the unnecessary ones that people pretty much never see.

One thing I don't understand is the media and music icons. Do you ever have both on the screen at the same time? Or do you tend to just use media OR music? I'm wondering if I can use the iPod icon for both, or if I need to make separate ones.

Same with "Default inbox". What's the difference between that and "Messages"?

Thanks to anyone who can bring me up to speed.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
chronism
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A

I personally only use the "messages" & "media" icons, the others, that being the individual email and "music" stay hidden or in a folder.

Last edited by chronism; 01-10-2009 at 12:08 PM..
Old 01-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
CoreyVisto

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
The beta testers have given me some valuable feedback from real-world use. Thank you.

I have some questions that I hope any BB user can answer though. The core icons are in place, but I'm working on filling out the list as much as possible. However, considering that there's 72 icons listed in the theme builder, I want to cut out the unnecessary ones that people pretty much never see.

One thing I don't understand is the media and music icons. Do you ever have both on the screen at the same time? Or do you tend to just use media OR music? I'm wondering if I can use the iPod icon for both, or if I need to make separate ones.

Same with "Default inbox". What's the difference between that and "Messages"?

Thanks to anyone who can bring me up to speed.

The default inbox is your first email signed up I believe. For the music/media... I only do media and have had no complaints.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
bettedavis07

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

The default inbox icon will represent each individual email account you add to your BIS/BES account.

For those you who like to use their phone as an mp3 player, the quick launch icon for the Music Player is quite convenient, or so I've heard.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:57 AM   #9
scottdroid

Model: 8310

looks cool
Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
laurmac
Knows Where the Search Button Is