BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 08:36 PM   #1
zygut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Default I want a 950, am I crazy?

Please Login to Remove!

I realize everyone here probably has a nice new blackberry, and I'm beating a dead horse by starting this thread...

I need a data-only device, small and cheap and I've been looking at the older Blackberry 950 models (and 957) to try and figure out if they would suit my needs. I can't really tell if these devices are still usable nowdays or if you are forced to get one of the newer models, so I was hoping I could find out from people what they know.

First -- if I buy a blackberry off of ebay or wherever, does it need to be linked to a specific provider? They are going for really cheap (like $25, is it possible!?). I would like to use it with my existing Cingular cell plan, just add unlimited data onto it, is that possible? If not Cingular, do I need something from somewhere else?

All I want is a glorified pager to get notifications when my systems and services are having problems, and to be able to use SSH to get on IRC to talk to my work-mates about what is going on, and I suppose occasionally try and fix a machine. I dont need much else, will these older blackberrys work? From what I can tell they will do ssh fine. I dont want voice, I dont want color, I dont want games or video or cameras, all I want is always available network connectivity and a text ssh so I can deal with problems.

I can't afford the new ones, and really can't afford this one, so I'm looking for the cheapest thing I can find that will work for what I need.

Thanks for any help!

ps - if you have a 950 you want to get rid of, I'll take it off your hands to try and figure this out for myself and then report back my findings. So far all the wireless stores are totally clueless when I ask them about the older blackberries and then try to sell me the new one for $299 and a 2 year plan, not what I want.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
Jase88
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility

These Blackberries operate on Datatac or Mobitex networks at 900MHz. Ensure that you've got adequate coverage before taking the plunge.

FYI: Mobitex operates at around 8kbps; this is adequate for PIN and email. You won't be able to SMS...and the browser is rudimentary at best...
Old 11-25-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

The 85x/95x devices are also C++ devices so apps are pretty limited. If your going for a data only BlackBerry consider the BlackBerry 5790 at least it offers a Java OS.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:58 PM   #4
zygut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88
These Blackberries operate on Datatac or Mobitex networks at 900MHz. Ensure that you've got adequate coverage before taking the plunge.
How can I find out if I've got coverage? I'm intending to move about so knowing what kind of national coverage there is might be important.

Quote:
FYI: Mobitex operates at around 8kbps; this is adequate for PIN and email. You won't be able to SMS...and the browser is rudimentary at best...
PIN = ?

I dont really need to SMS, just SSH, type on the command line of a remote machine...
Old 11-25-2005, 08:58 PM   #5
zygut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch
The 85x/95x devices are also C++ devices so apps are pretty limited. If your going for a data only BlackBerry consider the BlackBerry 5790 at least it offers a Java OS.
I dont really need or even want a lot of applications. I just want SSH!
Old 11-25-2005, 09:03 PM   #6
Jase88

PIN messaging is similar to email, but offers a delivery report and works only between Blackberries. The address is your PIN number--which is unique to each Blackberry.

Does SSH work on C++ devices? Otherwise you'll neeed to follow Finch's suggestion above.

What is your location? Rogers Wireless offers Mobitex in Canada--not sure who owns the Mobitex network in the US. It used to be BellSouth, but they've since sold it....
Old 11-25-2005, 09:34 PM   #7
zygut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
PIN messaging is similar to email, but offers a delivery report and works only between Blackberries. The address is your PIN number--which is unique to each Blackberry.
Yeah, don't need it... just need SSH. Sometimes I feel like I'm shoping for a bike in a Porsche store.

Quote:
Does SSH work on C++ devices? Otherwise you'll neeed to follow Finch's suggestion above.
I have no idea, it looks like MIDPSSH http://xk72.com/midpssh/ is Java... but there must be some other non-Java SSH client out there (preferably free too).

Quote:
What is your location? Rogers Wireless offers Mobitex in Canada--not sure who owns the Mobitex network in the US. It used to be BellSouth, but they've since sold it....
I'm in New Jersey, but I travel up to NYC a lot, out to the west cost often... I can handle not having it available when I am out of the country.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:46 AM   #8
Jase88

It looks like Cingular offers a Mobitex network.

http://www.cingular.com/business/network
Old 11-26-2005, 02:28 AM   #9
andrebsd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: MetroPCS

Quote:
It looks like Cingular offers a Mobitex network.

http://www.cingular.com/business/network
... But when clicking the link for Mobitex, the page no longer exists

As far as the device goes, I don't think you'll have an easy time finding a network for it. I also don't think there is an SSH client for that device; though I could be wrong. - So yes... I do think your crazy :P You don't really need a BB to do SSH though; (but the BB keyboard would be nice) pretty much any Java phone will do that much.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:11 AM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Yes, it's easy to find a network.
Yes, there are tons of these old devices still around.
We still have lots of 957s (not many 950s) still around.

As I posted in another thread, Cingular sold the network a couple of years ago, but it is still available.

http://www.blackberry.com/products/s...networks.shtml

Scroll down to Mobitex

It is REALLY slow, but has an excellent footprint. Before you buy one make sure you can find an SSH client and be aware that it will be painfully slow.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:55 AM   #11
zygut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrebsd

As far as the device goes, I don't think you'll have an easy time finding a network for it. I also don't think there is an SSH client for that device; though I could be wrong. - So yes... I do think your crazy :P You don't really need a BB to do SSH though; (but the BB keyboard would be nice) pretty much any Java phone will do that much.
Still searching for a SSH client... I'd be happy to use a Java device, but I can't find one that will do data-only and is less than $200. The attraction of the 950 is its form-factor, its keyboard and the fact I can find one on ebay for $20!
Old 11-26-2005, 12:26 PM   #12
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

It really seems like you looking for something with such specifics it's just not going to happen? Would you not be better off say getting an older GSM BB say a 6210/6710 for eg. with a data only package see TMo unlimited at $19.99 a mo. and your off to the races? At least it's GSM/GPRS, Java, somewhat current and in your case cheap? I just purchase a 6710 off eBay for a client that just needed email and to be in touch and it cost a $100 CDN I sure you could find something cheaper US 6210/6710/6280 are all over eBay for $85 to $150 if you search hard enough, just be certain it's for your carrier.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:14 PM   #13
andrebsd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygut
Still searching for a SSH client... I'd be happy to use a Java device, but I can't find one that will do data-only and is less than $200. The attraction of the 950 is its form-factor, its keyboard and the fact I can find one on ebay for $20!
Well I can't sugjest anything for 20 bucks, but you can get an unlocked 6210 @ http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage...fLoc=searchone for 55 dollars; (buy it now price). Then you can get a data only plan from T-Mobile, 19.99 a month for unlimited use... you'd be signing up for the voice barred blackberry plan.

Incase your wondering, I got my 7100t from them; and it did come unlocked and works fine.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:46 PM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Guys - if he wants the small form factor/pager sized BlackBerry, then let him get the 950.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:22 PM   #15
andrebsd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Guys - if he wants the small form factor/pager sized BlackBerry, then let him get the 950.
That would make sence, but one of his requirements is an SSH client. None seem to exist for the 950; So it won't work for him.

Well there is http://www.avidwireless.com/AVIDCart...products_id=13 but for 132 dollars he might as well get a new blackberry for the price.

Last edited by andrebsd; 11-26-2005 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Added avidwireless
Old 11-26-2005, 02:29 PM   #16
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

We still use quite a few 950s within our enterprise and users like it for the form factor and the ease of use, we started using them 5 years ago on the Earthlink network. We also have purchased used devices off eBay that used to run on BellSouth and GoAmerica and transferred provisioning of the devices overe to Earthlink. Today GoAmerica still offer the RIM 950 through one of it's subsidiaries - WyndTell located in Hackensack, NJ - http://www.wyndtellstore.com/Products/rim950.asp

If you want to pick-up a device off, eBay, you can try to get the service switched over to Earthlink but their monthly charge is not the best. . . Good Luck. . .
Old 11-26-2005, 02:44 PM   #17
zygut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisambo
We still use quite a few 950s within our enterprise and users like it for the form factor and the ease of use, we started using them 5 years ago on the Earthlink network.
Do you use SSH on the device?
Old 11-26-2005, 03:07 PM   #18
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

Quote:
Strictly email with the 950s
Old 11-26-2005, 04:21 PM   #19
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Again with the SSH... Hate to break it to you but I don't think it's going to happen.
Quote:
Old 11-26-2005, 04:25 PM   #20
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Here you go, click this link: AVIDTelnet-SSH for RIM Blackberry 95x SSH for the 95x what a bargin!
Closed Thread