BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
zygut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Default What BB to get?

Please Login to Remove!

I've been reading these forums for a while now trying to sort out what would be the right solution for me, and I'm still a little lost with all the different models and features and networks and plans, it all makes my head spin to try and figure out what I should get. So, I'm curious to know what people here who are BB-heads would get if they were in my situation.

I'm not looking for a BB for what most people want it for. I want a device that can receive email pager notifications (I'm a systems administrator and I need to have reliable and fast notifications of service problems). I need to be able to connect via ssh to my screen/irssi session on a remote server so I can connect with my work-mates. I need to be able to login and fix servers over ssh without raising my blood pressure higher because the lag or the screen or the keyboard is so irritating, but I have no choice because I'm not near a machine. I will read my email on the device, but I'm a terminal-head and use mutt, and I run my own mail servers and I don't want my mail to be going through BES or whatever. I can just ssh into my remote server and read mail there (if the screen and network lag is not too horrible). I will want to browse the web occasionally.

I dont need a lot of features, and am looking for inexpensive, so I certainly do not need the latest and greatest. I *think* I deduced from reading the forums that the best network to use is CDMA with verizon's unlimited data plan (although EV-DO seems to be faster, it requires a newer device).

What would you get and from where? I've seen 7250's for $99 after rebate (with service) over at JR.com.

Thanks for helping me sort this out!
Old 03-06-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
ErikaMarie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
PIN: diode
Carrier: T-Mobile

7130 hands down.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
zygut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok, any reasons why?

I compared the 7130e and the 7250 using http://www.blackberry.com/compare/co...View&x=73&y=17 and the difference seems to be EV-DO, more memory and different battery and a significantly different form-factor.

Just looking at the pictures the 7130e seems like it would be harder to type on, but I've never tried either of them.

It would be nice to be able to use whatever device I get in Europe and Canada if possible, should I be concerned about EV-DO coverage?

Last edited by zygut; 03-06-2006 at 02:45 PM..
Old 03-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
BOHIC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygut
Ok, any reasons why?

I compared the 7130e and the 7250 using http://www.blackberry.com/compare/co...View&x=73&y=17 and the difference seems to be EV-DO, more memory and different battery and a significantly different form-factor.

Just looking at the pictures the 7130e seems like it would be harder to type on, but I've never tried either of them.
Just noting that the 7250 does have EV-DO.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
ErikaMarie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Ok, any reasons why?

I actually find it easier to type on. It seems awkward @ 1st, but you get used to it after just a little bit of time. The reason I find it easier, is that the buttons are bigger, & therefore, you're not accidentally hitting another button.

The form plays a big role to me... I don't want to hold a calculator to my face... & if you're using it for voice... it's more ergonomic.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
zygut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOHIC
Just noting that the 7250 does have EV-DO.
Does EV-DO cost more for per-month unlimited data? I see its sommething like $45/month, yikes... also, how is the availability around the US and in Canada/europe?
Old 03-06-2006, 02:56 PM   #7
udontknowjack
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Let me chime in her if I may. The 7130 has a smaller screen than the 7250. It is narrower at least. you said you really wanted to SSH into your systems so I'd imagine you want a larger screen. You don't want it to be slow so you should get something with EVDO or EDGE. EVDO is Verizon and EDGE is Cingular and soon T-Mobile for BB. Since email on the device isn't important, I would suggest a Pocket PC quite frankly. They have the largest screens, the MDA from T-Mobile or 6700 from Sprint is fast and has wifi built in as well. Now, they aren't as cheap as a bb but bb is for email and that seems to be least of your concerns. Lastly you then added coverage in Europe, that leaves you with Cingular or T-Mobile. Both the newest Pocket PC and the BB 8700, Or TMO will have in about a month. I'd say is would be between the 8700 or the MDA or 6700 style PDA.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
zygut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontknowjack
Let me chime in her if I may. The 7130 has a smaller screen than the 7250. It is narrower at least. you said you really wanted to SSH into your systems so I'd imagine you want a larger screen.
Its true that I will need a screen that I can at least edit files in vi or something without going crazy, I dont know how small the fonts can go, so its hard to tell what I can do with any of these without trying them.

Quote:
You don't want it to be slow so you should get something with EVDO or EDGE. EVDO is Verizon and EDGE is Cingular and soon T-Mobile for BB.
What i want more than speed is latency and reliability. Plain ssh connections do not require high speed connections at all.

Quote:
Since email on the device isn't important, I would suggest a Pocket PC quite frankly. They have the largest screens, the MDA from T-Mobile or 6700 from Sprint is fast and has wifi built in as well. Now, they aren't as cheap as a bb but bb is for email and that seems to be least of your concerns. Lastly you then added coverage in Europe, that leaves you with Cingular or T-Mobile. Both the newest Pocket PC and the BB 8700, Or TMO will have in about a month. I'd say is would be between the 8700 or the MDA or 6700 style PDA.
I'd be fine if the device didn't work in Europe and Canada, it just would be nice if it did.

I was avoiding the PDA lines because they are too pricey for what I want to spend.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #9
zygut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Its true that I will need a screen that I can at least edit files in vi or something without going crazy, I dont know how small the fonts can go, so its hard to tell what I can do with any of these without trying them.
Ok, I tried both the 7250 and the 7130e today at a store. Turns out the screen size doesn't matter too much because the mindpssh client makes it work. The 7250 had a nicer/fuller keyboard, I couldn't figure out how to turn off the predictive text on the 7130, which made things particularly annoying. I assume its possible... the 7130 is nicer and faster. However using both made me realize how much I would prefer a normal keyboard

Quote:
What i want more than speed is latency and reliability. Plain ssh connections do not require high speed connections at all.
I couldn't really make a connection from the verizon stores, so I couldn't tell how this would actually feel in real life. I need to try one of these for a period of time and make a decision based on that I think.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:45 PM   #10
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

First of all, you need to see if the service provider will support whatever BB you decide to get. No service, no phone, no email, etc.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #11
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I guess I need to elaborate a bit. If the phone is CDMA, you are limited to a specific carrier, either the Verizon flavor or the Sprint/Nextel flavor. If its a GSM phone, then if unlocked, it should (operative word here is should) work with either Cingular or T-Mobile.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:54 PM   #12
ErikaMarie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Ok, I tried both the 7250 and the 7130e today at a store. Turns out the screen size doesn't matter too much because the mindpssh client makes it work. The 7250 had a nicer/fuller keyboard, I couldn't figure out how to turn off the predictive text on the 7130, which made things particularly annoying. I assume its possible... the 7130 is nicer and faster. However using both made me realize how much I would prefer a normal keyboard

I couldn't really make a connection from the verizon stores, so I couldn't tell how this would actually feel in real life. I need to try one of these for a period of time and make a decision based on that I think.
You don't want to turn off the predictive text. It's very accurate. You want to trust it, & use it. Don't look @ the screen when you type. Just type the word, then look @ the screen. TRUST ME... it takes a little getting used to. Don't hate it just yet. You'll learn to love it.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:33 PM   #13
zygut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaMarie
You don't want to turn off the predictive text. It's very accurate. You want to trust it, & use it. Don't look @ the screen when you type. Just type the word, then look @ the screen. TRUST ME... it takes a little getting used to. Don't hate it just yet. You'll learn to love it.
No, I do want to turn it off, not forever, but in certain situations. It was really frustrating trying to use the BB in the store to test the ssh functionality because the hostnames, login names and passwords I use aren't words that predictive text will ever know, as they aren't real words. If I could turn it off temporarily, I would've been able to use it.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:34 PM   #14
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

8700c .... I love it!!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #15
zygut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
8700c .... I love it!!!!
Can you say why you love it? Do you feel like it meets my criteria I mentioned above, or does it just work for you?
Old 03-07-2006, 03:41 PM   #16
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

has edge capabilities. Much faster in the terms of accessing programs (seems to me) The memory is beefier as well
Old 03-07-2006, 03:43 PM   #17
zygut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
has edge capabilities. Much faster in the terms of accessing programs (seems to me) The memory is beefier as well
Looks like it is only available with Cingular? I've got a Cingular plan right now, but their unlimited data plan makes me want to get Verizon just for data.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #18
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

I can see your point, but there are many aspects to consider. I am sure you will have an eval period with verizon. So maybe you will want to try it out.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:27 PM   #19
zygut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Doesn't the 7520 and the 7130e also have Edge?
Old 03-07-2006, 04:29 PM   #20
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

7130e has evdo (which some people think is faster) the 7520 i dont think has either. Not too sure on that one. You can check this link for good reviews. I use it for work:

www.phonescoop.com

Last edited by coreyg510; 03-07-2006 at 04:32 PM..
Closed Thread