Carrier: TMO
Cool Best Free Theme? BR Exquisite, Available For 8100, 8300, 8700, and 8800

Please Login to Remove!

BR Exquisite - Zen Style

BR Exquisite - Today Style

Requirements
- Blackberry Pearl 8100 Phone
- Handheld OS 4.2.1

Astonishing theme. Designed to perfect the life of your hands. Our first quad phone theme, which is available for Blackberry Pearl 8100, Curve 8300, 8700, and 8800. This theme is custom built for our partner BerryReview.com and features unmatchable functionality, usability, and soothing colors that are very eye appealing.

ZEN DM Download or ZEN OTA Download

TODAY DM Download or TODAY OTA Download

This theme is available in 2 Styles, Zen and Today, for 8100, 8300, 8700, and 8800. So hopefully there won't be too much requests. This theme took me a very long time, so I'd appreciate some feedback.

To download this theme for models other than Pearl, please go to www.Gemblock.com
*NO registration required

Last edited by Semipro15; 09-20-2007 at 03:10 PM..
Old 09-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: *

Two things... you need to export a version for us 8830 users. That's exported as an 8800 version with OS 4.2.2 and put it in an 8830 forum. Also, I find it irritating that people are constantly asked to "join a forum" just to download a theme.... a free theme at that. Don't get me wrong, your theme is really good, but I honestly don't feel like joining 50 thousand forums out there just to get to the themes. It's no benefit to me and it's really no benefit to you because it's not like I'm joining for a fee or joining to be able to "purchase" the theme. Anyway, nice theme, too bad it's restricted to registered download.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
mrogers
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

Not bad. The interface overall is a little "fuzzy", and I'm not a huge fan of the black dialog. I also think those fonts might get tiring after awhile. Those icons are from iStockPhoto, yes? We found the same set when mocking up an interface at work.

JRSCCivic98: I agree completely. I often don't download themes or other small free things if I'm required to join a forum to get it. The reason they do it is because they're trying to, potentially, make money from advertising on their site, and if they can go to advertisers and say "Look how many members I have!" they think they can get more money. However, any ad agency that you would actually negotiate with like that (or at least any smart one) will come back at you with "Oh yeah? And how many of them actually log in regularly? Oh, only 6%. Bye." So it doesn't work, and it only hurts traffic because, like you said, it really annoys people. It's better to just leave your site open and let traffic come to you naturally by having a nice design and great content. Also, attempting to drive traffic to your site with a thread title like "Best Free Theme?" is more than a little pretentious. GemBlock is a decent looking site, and a fine enough concept...but lose the required registration and make people *want* to register rather than *forcing* them to register to get the carrot you're dangling (free themes). That's what ultimately builds a successful community.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
Semipro15
Thumbs Must Hurt

Alright, I did as you guys said, from now on theres no registration required. Anyways... Anybody want this theme for 8830?
Old 09-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
mrogers
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: AT&T

Good idea, semipro. I think you'll ultimately see more downloads that way ;)
Old 09-20-2007, 11:19 PM   #6
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semipro15 View Post
Alright, I did as you guys said, from now on theres no registration required. Anyways... Anybody want this theme for 8830?
Damn dude, if more people were as accomodating as you the world would be a nicer place. Well, maybe there would just be less *****ing . Anyway, all your themes are really good! I especially liked the Flamboyant Zen and only found two glitches with it. It would be great if you could export that out for an 8830.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:57 PM   #7
Semipro15
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
Damn dude, if more people were as accomodating as you the world would be a nicer place. Well, maybe there would just be less *****ing . Anyway, all your themes are really good! I especially liked the Flamboyant Zen and only found two glitches with it. It would be great if you could export that out for an 8830.
Thanks

Anyways, What are the 2 glitches with the Flamboyant theme? I'll try to fix em, then I will export it for 8830. Sounds fair?
Old 09-21-2007, 01:00 AM   #8
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

Very nice, I like!

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 09-21-2007, 07:19 AM   #9
BCollins521

Model: 9700
PIN: Ask...
Carrier: T-Mobile

I like the themes that Semi makes, I used the sticky note theme for awhile
Old 09-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #10
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Thanks

Anyways, What are the 2 glitches with the Flamboyant theme? I'll try to fix em, then I will export it for 8830. Sounds fair?
It's very possible that the glitches are because of the OS versions on export, but if not look at the following. I'm with VZW and on my signal meter (to the let of it) when I'm on the network it should read 1XEV in caps. Well, it does, but the right part of the V is kind of cut off a little. I also noticed this in the regular Flamboyant as well, but not as bad. I think it may be because the wording for the network may be too close to the signal bars or something that's part of the signal bar graphic may be overlapping. Maybe try moving the network wording left 2 pixel lines. Also, the other glitch is the % bar that increases in the popup dialog box when you do various things like go into Options/Advance/Applications (and it builds the list) or when you download things. The yellow colored bar is not vertically thick enough to fit the % reading that goes in the middle of it. Does that make sense? The bar I think is maybe 2 or 3 pixels short vertically and causes the very bottom of 32% or 54% or whatever% to have the bottom part of the numbers and % not be on top of the yellow bar like it is at the top. Just looks nasty and unpolished.

Again, if you're not seeing this on other versions of the theme it could very well be the OS version export. I've run into issues with spacing and such if the themes weren't exported for the specific OS in question, but I've also had others tell me it doesn't matter. BTW, I've worked with other theme site admins on polishing up their themes to find and solve the little glitches so if you need help with that just let me know and I'll be glad to help. The only gotcha is you have to be patient with me because I tend to be very OCD about perfection so if you're cool with that you won't have anything to worry about. My end intentions are to make your themes meet the same level of completeness as the vendor themes.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #11
Semipro15
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
It's very possible that the glitches are because of the OS versions on export, but if not look at the following. I'm with VZW and on my signal meter (to the let of it) when I'm on the network it should read 1XEV in caps. Well, it does, but the right part of the V is kind of cut off a little. I also noticed this in the regular Flamboyant as well, but not as bad. I think it may be because the wording for the network may be too close to the signal bars or something that's part of the signal bar graphic may be overlapping. Maybe try moving the network wording left 2 pixel lines. Also, the other glitch is the % bar that increases in the popup dialog box when you do various things like go into Options/Advance/Applications (and it builds the list) or when you download things. The yellow colored bar is not vertically thick enough to fit the % reading that goes in the middle of it. Does that make sense? The bar I think is maybe 2 or 3 pixels short vertically and causes the very bottom of 32% or 54% or whatever% to have the bottom part of the numbers and % not be on top of the yellow bar like it is at the top. Just looks nasty and unpolished.

Again, if you're not seeing this on other versions of the theme it could very well be the OS version export. I've run into issues with spacing and such if the themes weren't exported for the specific OS in question, but I've also had others tell me it doesn't matter. BTW, I've worked with other theme site admins on polishing up their themes to find and solve the little glitches so if you need help with that just let me know and I'll be glad to help. The only gotcha is you have to be patient with me because I tend to be very OCD about perfection so if you're cool with that you won't have anything to worry about. My end intentions are to make your themes meet the same level of completeness as the vendor themes.
I appreciate it that you took the time to say all of that lol...

Anyways, I moved the network letters to the left so the v wont get cut off no more... But as for the progress bar, I don't have the ability to actually change the size of it... I have no ideas on how I can fix that... Some of my themes export perfectly, (8100 BR Looks perfect) but some dont, so I dont know... Any advice?
Old 09-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #12
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
I appreciate it that you took the time to say all of that lol...

Anyways, I moved the network letters to the left so the v wont get cut off no more... But as for the progress bar, I don't have the ability to actually change the size of it... I have no ideas on how I can fix that... Some of my themes export perfectly, (8100 BR Looks perfect) but some dont, so I dont know... Any advice?
That's why I'd say go ahead and export it out for 8830 (8800 series with OS 4.2.2 as your export choices) and let's see if that doens't fix it. Sometimes the export fixes the little glitches you get when you try and run an 8800 on an 8830. If that doesn't work, I have someone I can ask who's really good with themes.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Both the exquisite and flamboyant themes are very good. I like the different icons.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:18 PM   #14
Semipro15
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Both the exquisite and flamboyant themes are very good. I like the different icons.
Thanks!
Old 09-22-2007, 03:03 AM   #15
Lex Luthor

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

Those are some awesome themes!! I'm gonna download them. Thanks
Old 09-22-2007, 10:04 AM   #16
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Hey, thanks for exporting this theme out for 8830. It's really good, but there's a couple of things that aren't right. The network activity icons (black triangles) have some king of white leftover pixle halo on them and so does the busy icon (clock in the middle of the screen). On a white background you don't notice it, but any other color and these icons look unclean on the edges. It's probably because they were converted or cut out of something else. Anyway, a cleanup on the edges would improve this immensly. Other issue (this is a spacing issue) is on the Zen when you bring up the applications screen the date gets cut off. The 3rd issue is that on long emails if you bring up the email box the name of it runs into the network strength (5/5) indicator. Everything else is really good on this theme. Just remember that spacing is the key on these themes. It's what keeps long lists of messages or menu options text from getting cut off on the bottom and top of the screen. You have 240 pixel lines to work with, when you pick your font and spacing make sure it's divisible into 240 evenly and it will be spot on.

Btw, please don't forget to export out Flamboyant Zen for 8830. I'm digging that one a lot. Keep up the good work, it's AWESOME!!!
Old 09-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #17
Semipro15
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Hey, thanks for exporting this theme out for 8830. It's really good, but there's a couple of things that aren't right. The network activity icons (black triangles) have some king of white leftover pixle halo on them and so does the busy icon (clock in the middle of the screen). On a white background you don't notice it, but any other color and these icons look unclean on the edges. It's probably because they were converted or cut out of something else. Anyway, a cleanup on the edges would improve this immensly. Other issue (this is a spacing issue) is on the Zen when you bring up the applications screen the date gets cut off. The 3rd issue is that on long emails if you bring up the email box the name of it runs into the network strength (5/5) indicator. Everything else is really good on this theme. Just remember that spacing is the key on these themes. It's what keeps long lists of messages or menu options text from getting cut off on the bottom and top of the screen. You have 240 pixel lines to work with, when you pick your font and spacing make sure it's divisible into 240 evenly and it will be spot on.

Btw, please don't forget to export out Flamboyant Zen for 8830. I'm digging that one a lot. Keep up the good work, it's AWESOME!!!
About the clock, I can't do nothing about that, since I didnt not cut it out, I just pasted a clean vector icon, into photoshop, then exported it at top quality 24 PNG. So I don't know how to fix that,

With the cutting off issue... I had to do it like that. If I would've lowered the lists, then the zen icons would've gotten cut off. I mean I could've just raised everything in the "banner" so it doesnt get cut off, but I just liked that kind of placement.

And I'll export the falm for zen when I have some extra time.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #18
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
About the clock, I can't do nothing about that, since I didnt not cut it out, I just pasted a clean vector icon, into photoshop, then exported it at top quality 24 PNG. So I don't know how to fix that,

With the cutting off issue... I had to do it like that. If I would've lowered the lists, then the zen icons would've gotten cut off. I mean I could've just raised everything in the "banner" so it doesnt get cut off, but I just liked that kind of placement.

The icon should have had a clear background (i.e. transparent) on export from Photoshop. More then likely the format change is what caused this. I get it also when I have a really good quality png or bmp and change it to a jpg. The "bleded edges" and up getting this nasty background color halo because the compression messes the pixel colors up.

The cutoff, why doens't it happen on the 8100 you have screenshot above?

BTW, I just noticed that the profile icons change with the choice you make. That's hella nice! Didn't know you could do that because I guess I've used themes that use the same icon with just different names.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #19
Semipro15
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
The icon should have had a clear background (i.e. transparent) on export from Photoshop. More then likely the format change is what caused this. I get it also when I have a really good quality png or bmp and change it to a jpg. The "bleded edges" and up getting this nasty background color halo because the compression messes the pixel colors up.

The cutoff, why doens't it happen on the 8100 you have screenshot above?

BTW, I just noticed that the profile icons change with the choice you make. That's hella nice! Didn't know you could do that because I guess I've used themes that use the same icon with just different names.
It doesn't happen above, because I changed the height of the banner to a bigger size, If I would've done that with the other phones themes, then the zen and today icons would start to overlap each other.

The hourglass icon is PNG 24, that is the highest quality you can get, and the background is 100% transparent, I think that to fix that, I need to make a square, solid background around the hourglass...

The profile icons... yea they're sweet...
Old 09-24-2007, 10:54 PM   #20
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Waiting impatiently...
Closed Thread