BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
TLHord
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Get the Verizon Curve or wait for September Bold?!?

Please Login to Remove!

What does everybody think? I've got the Motorola Q now, and I'd rank it "stupid" at best. I'm going with a BlackBerry solution -- just don't know should I get the Curve now or wait for the Bold. All I'm trying to do here is get expert opinions.... what do you think?

Thank you so much-

T

A few more quick questions.... and thanks -- you guys have been great!!!!

-How's internet browsing on the Curve? Can you "YouTube?"
-Does it autosync with Outlook, or does it require a manual sync to update contacts, appointments, etc.?
-Verizon disables BlackBerry Maps, right? I assume it was probably far superior to their VZ Navigator.... true?

Last edited by TLHord; 06-04-2008 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: Love the great help, have a few addt'l questions for the experts
Old 06-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
Blackberryer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLHord View Post
What does everybody think? I've got the Motorola Q now, and I'd rank it "stupid" at best. I'm going with a BlackBerry solution -- just don't know should I get the Curve now or wait for the Bold. All I'm trying to do here is get expert opinions.... what do you think?

Thank you so much-

T
I am no expert, but I think there is very little chance the Bold is released for CDMA in September. The chart that showed that was BS.

Get the Curve and don't look back. IF, however, they do release the Bold at that time, call Verizon customer retention and tell them this, but do it very politely:

"I just recently purchased a Curve, but I see you've released the Bold. That is actually the phone I've wanted. I love Verizon and I do understand that I'm in the middle of a new contact. However, I can purchase a new Bold with AT&T and the cost of a new contract with them would actually be less than paying for a full retail version with you guys, and that's including the early termination fee. I'd much rather spend my money with Verizon, so I just wanted to see if you guys would be willing to offer me the Bold at two year pricing?"

This is precisely how I got an 8830 for new customer pricing just a couple of months after purchasing an 8703. Verizon is very good to their customers.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Why do you keep starting the same thread over and over?
Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Outrigger

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Because there are people who made themselves believe that it'll be available in Sept. And the very same people will create threads in Sept complaining why the Bold isn't available.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
JEGO82
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Telcel

double post
Old 06-03-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
demonte
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 319E9BD0
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberryer View Post
I am no expert, but I think there is very little chance the Bold is released for CDMA in September. The chart that showed that was BS.

Get the Curve and don't look back. IF, however, they do release the Bold at that time, call Verizon customer retention and tell them this, but do it very politely:

"I just recently purchased a Curve, but I see you've released the Bold. That is actually the phone I've wanted. I love Verizon and I do understand that I'm in the middle of a new contact. However, I can purchase a new Bold with AT&T and the cost of a new contract with them would actually be less than paying for a full retail version with you guys, and that's including the early termination fee. I'd much rather spend my money with Verizon, so I just wanted to see if you guys would be willing to offer me the Bold at two year pricing?"

This is precisely how I got an 8830 for new customer pricing just a couple of months after purchasing an 8703. Verizon is very good to their customers.
yup a friend of mine did that exact same thing with sprint when he got his 1st blackberry, hahaha, its funny because he said the EXACT same thing that you did
Old 06-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
Blackberryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonte View Post
yup a friend of mine did that exact same thing with sprint when he got his 1st blackberry, hahaha, its funny because he said the EXACT same thing that you did
It's just common sense on the part of the companies, and the reps. Keep a customer's monthly, which includes data, or lose them entirely over a couple of hundred bucks.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
TLHord
Thumbs Must Hurt

Now THAT'S a helpful reply!! Thank you kind sir or madam.

Some people are vicious in this BB forum.... and just want to spew venom because I posted the same question in different discussion groups..... I'M NEW AT THIS AND DIDN'T KNOW IT WOULD BOTHER ANYBODY SO MUCH!!! CAN YOU PLEASE GET OVER IT AND FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT?!?!

Last edited by TLHord; 06-03-2008 at 11:31 AM..
Old 06-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
JEGO82
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Telcel

FYI posting in capitals may seem like you are yelling...since you are new I'm just letting you know for future posting.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #10
TLHord
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
Because there are people who made themselves believe that it'll be available in Sept. And the very same people will create threads in Sept complaining why the Bold isn't available.
That's just what I've found while looking around and reading online. Do you think there's no way it will be out by then?
Old 06-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #11
Outrigger

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

since I don't work for RIM, obviously its not 100%. However, I do believe that most will agree from past experience that there is no way that Verizon will have the Bold available in Sept since a CDMA Bold isn't available anywhere. RIM would need to make a CDMA model for FCC approval, and so far, there has been nothing on the internet stating otherwise. And if you're a verizon customer, you know about their notorious testing phase. Verizon came out with the 8700 series a while later after ATT, they came out with the 8800 series not too long ago, and they JUST came out with the Curve last month, a whole year later. I just think that so many Verizon customers want the Bold so badly that they'll believe anything throwing logic and common sense out the window. This doesn't even have to do with Verizon, since they don't make the phone, its RIM for whatever reason, always releases the CDMA version about a year later. ATT hasn't even announced a release date for it, so the chances of Verizon releasing one in Sept or even this year is about as likely as spontaneous human combustion. Don't mean to burst your hope, but just get the curve and wait til next year to see whats in store.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

well contgrats on the "stupid" thing i had the q9c and i hated it with a passion

honestly, i would sugggest the curve to get yourself into the Blackberry world. once the bold comes out, you can upgrade, but for starters, id get used to the berry first
Old 06-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Just suffer for now with the MotoQ (now there's a POS smartphone for you) and when the Bold comes out ditch VZN and go with ATT. With any luck you could maybe get the Bold for free as a new customer (I got the 8100 free on Tmob via Amazon when it was new), thus negating the early termination fee of $175. That's what I did to get my wife a new 8100. If you're stuck on Verizon the Curve is a really nice phone, but by the time they get the 9000 they'll be an even better one out.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 06-03-2008 at 01:01 PM..
Old 06-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #14
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk
No Offense to anyone. But the Thunder (9500) is the next BB in Verizon's pipeline. Not the Bold. It would make no sense for them to release the Bold and the Thunder at the same time, especially since the Thunder is a direct competitor for iPhone market share. Just my $ 0.02

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #15
Nerfman

Model: 9630

I work on the distribution side of the wireless business and the earliest this will happen is Thanksgiving if that. CDMA is always last.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #16
TLHord
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
since I don't work for RIM, obviously its not 100%. However, I do believe that most will agree from past experience that there is no way that Verizon will have the Bold available in Sept since a CDMA Bold isn't available anywhere. RIM would need to make a CDMA model for FCC approval, and so far, there has been nothing on the internet stating otherwise. And if you're a verizon customer, you know about their notorious testing phase. Verizon came out with the 8700 series a while later after ATT, they came out with the 8800 series not too long ago, and they JUST came out with the Curve last month, a whole year later. I just think that so many Verizon customers want the Bold so badly that they'll believe anything throwing logic and common sense out the window. This doesn't even have to do with Verizon, since they don't make the phone, its RIM for whatever reason, always releases the CDMA version about a year later. ATT hasn't even announced a release date for it, so the chances of Verizon releasing one in Sept or even this year is about as likely as spontaneous human combustion. Don't mean to burst your hope, but just get the curve and wait til next year to see whats in store.
Great.... thank you very much for helping!! The Curve it is then.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #17
Docmphd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbswany View Post
No Offense to anyone. But the Thunder (9500) is the next BB in Verizon's pipeline. Not the Bold. It would make no sense for them to release the Bold and the Thunder at the same time, especially since the Thunder is a direct competitor for iPhone market share. Just my $ 0.02
It makes perfect sense, the Bold will have a qwerty keyboard, the Thunder is all touch screen.

Verizon has the 8830, Curve, Pearl and 8700 now...why wouldn't they have both the Bold and the Thunder next year?
Old 06-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #18
Docmphd

On another note, I love my 8830 but wish I had a camera.

If I switch to the Curve, what featurs of the 8830 will I miss and what will I like better about the Curve?
Old 06-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #19
stevenmz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLHord View Post
Now THAT'S a helpful reply!! Thank you kind sir or madam.

Some people are vicious in this BB forum.... and just want to spew venom because I posted the same question in different discussion groups..... I'M NEW AT THIS AND DIDN'T KNOW IT WOULD BOTHER ANYBODY SO MUCH!!! CAN YOU PLEASE GET OVER IT AND FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT?!?!
Well, see his avitar....that's really him.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #20
demonte

PIN: 319E9BD0
Carrier: sprint

so when do u think the old will be available for sprint?
Closed Thread