Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
RegisteredUser
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default Problem with Voice Dialing & Adaptation in BB Curve

Please Login to Remove!

Ever since upgrading from 7130 to Pearl and now the Curve, the Voice Dialing and Adaptation is TERRIBLE in BB Curve.

The software takes so long to process during the adaptation and takes so long bring up the voice dialing.

Major slowness in the Pearl and Curve when you browse and switch apps. The curve rated the WORSE when you are in Camera mode and trying to do the explore. The response time was @#$%ing painfully slow!

I want the 7130 back please!!! It's stable and fast! And the Voice Dialing and Adaptation works fast!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Ever since upgrading from 7130 to Pearl and now the Curve, the Voice Dialing and Adaptation is TERRIBLE in BB Curve.

The software takes so long to process during the adaptation and takes so long bring up the voice dialing.

Major slowness in the Pearl and Curve when you browse and switch apps. The curve rated the WORSE when you are in Camera mode and trying to do the explore. The response time was @#$%ing painfully slow!

I want the 7130 back please!!! It's stable and fast! And the Voice Dialing and Adaptation works fast!
Your experience seems to be different from mine with the Curve... I have about 400 address book entries. The only time Voice Dialing takes more than a moment for the voice prompt is if I do a *large* amount of phone book edits in Outlook and then sync with the Curve via desktop manager: the first time I use voice dialing after that, it will need a few seconds to scan my phonebook. But after that, for all subsequent use, the voice prompt comes up almost immediately, and name recognition is also almost instant except on rare occasions when it may pause for a couple of seconds when I say a name (but that's rare).
Old 08-27-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
RegisteredUser

Model: 8320
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
Your experience seems to be different from mine with the Curve... I have about 400 address book entries. The only time Voice Dialing takes more than a moment for the voice prompt is if I do a *large* amount of phone book edits in Outlook and then sync with the Curve via desktop manager: the first time I use voice dialing after that, it will need a few seconds to scan my phonebook. But after that, for all subsequent use, the voice prompt comes up almost immediately, and name recognition is also almost instant except on rare occasions when it may pause for a couple of seconds when I say a name (but that's rare).

I know what you mean. On the Pearl, the first time it goes through, it will scan the address book. The curve doesn't. The adaptation is flaky... takes a very long pause in each tries.

I'm on Rogers Wireless in Canada. But Carriers shouldn't matter. I'm thinking it is the phone that is faulty.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
lcater

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers

I can not believe how poor my voice dialing works. It reminds me of my Newton handwriting experience many years ago. As an EOL (english only language), it is fair to say I have a pretty straight forward voice, and the voice dialing on my Curve is the most annoying thing I have ever used. I have tried all of the great info posted, changing the sensitivity, changing the language, etc and still it absolutely sucks. It's so bad, it sometimes does even recognize when I say the word 'Call" all by itself. Not many options it has to choose from there. I can get it to work 50% of the time when inside the house and no noise, not exactly prime voice dialing moments. Once in the vehicle I am lucky to get a 10% hit, and it is ridiculously off. For example, I say 'Call Bob Smith" and it will come back with 3 choices such as Kevin Johnson, Fred Mills, and my personal favourite CAA (for Canadian Automobile Assocation). In fact my kids love it now when I say "Call CAA". So I am down to thinking either the software needs a complete reload, or the 'chip' in the phone which runs the translation is a wee bit off. I have tried Voice Control by Nuance and it works 100% of the time, but I don't like the fact that it will not work with Bluetooth, so now true handsfree operation. My consipracy side of the brain would like to think that Rogers has 'fixed' the voice dialing software not to work so we'll all pay the $6 a month for voice control.
Closed Thread