BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
CB44
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default Are these problems real or over-reaction?

Please Login to Remove!

OK, I have a 8300 Curve and clearly it's time to upgrade. I don't have a choice for manufacture since BB is the only platform supported by my work.

Since this is a work phone and I won't be using it for Twitter, Facebook etc...I'm not concerned much about the Apps. I need my work e-mail, Yahoo! e-mail, ESPN and a few other websites. Nothing special, just the basics. So I'm curious if the problems I keep reading about will even effect me.

So here are my three options...

1 - Buy a Torch Today and live with the minor problems
2 - Buy a Torch in October and hope that there will be patches and all will be better. (and cheaper prices)
3 - Get the bold.

Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

1 - There aren't any real minor problems I've read about. I have had one since day one and no issues here either.

Pretty cool device, I think you'll be amazed at the difference in it and your 8300.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
Th3w01f

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I use mine similarly; 90% work email (BES) and 10% random web. It has been a huge upgrade from the 9000 I was using and voice quality has been great.

My only complaint is the soft keyboard issue (typing the letter to the right of the one pushed) which makes it impossible for me to even do a quick Google search without sliding out the keyboard. I'm hoping it will be an easy fix in an upcoming build.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
pateltjp

Model: 9930

Totally agree with JSanders. I migrated from Bold9000 to Torch. The experience is amazing. Takes a little while to getting used to not use physical keyboard as in Bold

Love the device so far -- however don't try to compare with toys like iPhone, etc.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Agree with the above, however, if you don't like touch screens, go with the 9700.

I got the 9800 as the store opened on the 12th and haven't looked back. Dumped the iPhone for the 9800.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
Th3w01f

I agree; the touch screen is great, they just need to fix the accuracy of the keyboard. When I push the letter 't' and the screen shows the letter 't' being pressed it shouldn't type a 'y'. Hopefully this fix will be in the first update.

I decided to go to the AT&T store today and test again and the sales person brought out two new phones (I'm hoping they were both different from the one I tested on Monday). Both had the same issue. So all 5 Torches I've used have the exact same issue. It's not an issue for email since I always use the real keyboard but it is annoying.

Last edited by Th3w01f; 08-18-2010 at 07:52 PM..
Old 08-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB44 View Post
OK, I have a 8300 Curve and clearly it's time to upgrade. I don't have a choice for manufacture since BB is the only platform supported by my work.

Since this is a work phone and I won't be using it for Twitter, Facebook etc...I'm not concerned much about the Apps. I need my work e-mail, Yahoo! e-mail, ESPN and a few other websites. Nothing special, just the basics. So I'm curious if the problems I keep reading about will even effect me.

So here are my three options...

1 - Buy a Torch Today and live with the minor problems
2 - Buy a Torch in October and hope that there will be patches and all will be better. (and cheaper prices)
3 - Get the bold.

Thoughts?
in all honesty i would bypass the bold if i were you since you have both options the keyboard and the touch screen . you dont have to use the touchscreen to type but haveing it does give you faster access to things . the issues are really not minor or major issues it is that alot of people who own older blackberry's are so used to them and dont really have an issues so whenever something comes out new and does not run perfect like there old blackberry well then it becomes into a minor issue . so i would def upgrade to the torch being that it is the best of both worlds .
Old 08-19-2010, 06:30 AM   #8
CB44

Model: 8300
Carrier: att

Thanks everyone...looks like I'm getting a Torch
Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
junior1790
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

I also picked one up on launch day but mine went back! I definitely cant bash the device but in my opinion the 9700 is a better device, for me anyway. As a blackberry loyalist i dig the improvements in OS6 and like the direction RIM went with this but a few minor issues took away from it for me. Again, I'm not a basher about the processor or screen res because i think all those things are geared towards consumer device issues and not a business users issues. I felt like i had to take extra steps to get things accomplished but then again I'm a creature of habit!! good luck with whatever you choose.....
Old 08-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
Unluky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
PIN: Safety

I have a 8310 (still love it...) And you are right, it is getting long in the tooth. I have tried every new BB since then except the storm and took them all back. Hated the keyboards. I am on day 2 of my torch and really liking it.I got one of the screens that wiggle, but I will get it swaped next week. I think I may have found my 8310 replacement....
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #11
cvelez

Carrier: At&T

re:wolf

The only way I was able to reproduce your issue with the t is if i dragged my finger to the right after pressing the t, otherwise it works pretty well.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
Th3w01f

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvelez View Post
re:wolf

The only way I was able to reproduce your issue with the t is if i dragged my finger to the right after pressing the t, otherwise it works pretty well.
Interesting; I've been very careful in my testing and the issue is very easy to duplicate on my phone and the ones I've tested at AT&T. I'll go back this week and try a couple of others (hopefully they've sold the ones I've tested so far). It also happens with every key, I've just used 't' as an example.

On my phone if I push a letter and drag my finger to an adjacent letter I can see the letter switch in the preview, even if I do it very quickly. On the phones I've tested it's very clear that the letter in the preview isn't changing.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:42 AM   #13
buster

Model: Torch
PIN: 22C1AFE4
Carrier: T

I really like the improved web speed.. and the screen is obviously much larger...
Old 08-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #14
Th3w01f

Default No Luck!

OK, I went back to the AT&T store tonight and tested two brand new phones that they just received. Neither sales associate believed me at first (they gave me all kinds of excuses about what I was doing wrong) but both were able to duplicate the issue on both new phones including one of them who could type about 50 WPM on the virtual keyboard. One new thing I saw was one of the associates had a different issue, she had the keys typing the letter below the key pressed which leads me to believe that the pixels all around the keys are hit and miss.

I just can’t believe this is a hardware issue since this is 6 – 7 phones I’ve seen with the same issue. The good typist in the store was able to type perfectly if he worked on it but he definitely had the problem when not being overly careful on what key was pressed. Again, when the preview doesn’t match the letter typed there is an issue.

If any of you without the issue are in the Denver area I’d be happy to meet up with you so you can show me a torch that doesn’t have this problem.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #15
buster

Model: Torch
PIN: 22C1AFE4
Carrier: T

I have been thinking it was me... and being a long time iPhone user, I have almost gotten used to the virtual keyboard...but I think you have something there.. I rarely use anything but the slide out keypad in conjunction with touch commands... still really like the phone... wish Gowalla and Waze would spend some time upgrading there programs for BB.. Waze is especially cool on iPhone... BTW: What's android?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:26 AM   #16
jDMJeRk
Thumbs Must Hurt

I read through some of the replies but I too went from a 9000 to a Torch and I love it. I hate with a passion touch screen anything these days but the technology isn't that bad. I still use the keypad as much as possible (obviously I'm used too using that) but even after a few hours you start to combined the two and actually are able to navigate more quickly.

I was told that the sim cards are in the new torch actually are faster (internet wise) that the old 3G sims and I needed a new one- can anyone verify this?

My local AT&T was also nice enough to discount the phone an additional $50 and threw in a free case of my choice. I walked out of there with a new 2 year agreement, a free case for about $175 after tax.

So far, the phone passes the gym test- I actually ran the phone dead doing cardio tonight. Made a few calls, did tons of texting, BBM'ing and emailing, and not one complaint.

As for a case, the free one sucks but I have an extra 9000 case that looks like people are saying works pretty well so I'll give that a shot later.

I'm looking forward to mess around with it more tonight

I'd recommend it over the 9700 if your open to new ideas. If your still closed minded on the touch screen idea then don't bother :D

/end of rant

Nick
Old 08-24-2010, 01:12 PM   #17
endure161
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT
Smile

[QUOTE=jDMJeRk;1645962]
I was told that the sim cards are in the new torch actually are faster (internet wise) that the old 3G sims and I needed a new one- can anyone verify this?

This is the first time I've heard that a change in sims might speed things up. I switched from my old BB to this one by moving the old sim instead of using the one that came in the Torch. It is much faster on the internet when in 3G mode than either my 9000 in 3G or my 8900 in EDGE mode. And it much more responsive using the -n WiFi than with the older devices . Internet speed is just better in all modes....

If you find any proof that using the sim supplied with a new Torch is really better - not just anecdotal - please get back to us. If I get a few minutes free I may call AT&T and ask about that myself.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #18
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Never heard of a SIM speeding things up...I doubt there is any truth to that.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #19
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Faster SIM cards?
I don't think so.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #20
rdef
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: ATT

I loved my Bold--bought is the day it was released, and just retired it last week. There is no doubt it's a fantastic device, especially the keyboard and its feel in the hand. That said, I would NEVER go back to the Bold 9000. The Torch is a much better device for me in almost every way. The only thing better on the Bold is the keyboard, but I'll give that up for everything else the Torch delivers.
Closed Thread