Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:34 AM   #1
phickman

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Creating additional "Blackberry Messaging Agents"

Please Login to Remove!

I would like to know if it is possible to creat additional agents to assist with the amount of locked worker threads we are seeing, primarily due to the amount of changes on the mailboxes due to an Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 migration going on.

T-Mobile mentioned that I should be able to increase the number of agents from the current level of 2 to assist but are not sure where to change it. They are going to get back to me but wondered if anyone else knows ?

Thanks, Paul
Old 09-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
kpoland
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phickman View Post
I would like to know if it is possible to creat additional agents to assist with the amount of locked worker threads we are seeing, primarily due to the amount of changes on the mailboxes due to an Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003 migration going on.

T-Mobile mentioned that I should be able to increase the number of agents from the current level of 2 to assist but are not sure where to change it. They are going to get back to me but wondered if anyone else knows ?

Thanks, Paul
Increase the maximum number of BlackBerry Messaging Agents registry entry

To change the maximum number of BlackBerry Messaging Agents, complete the following steps:

Warning: The following procedure involves modifying the computer registry. This can cause substantial damage to the Microsoft Windows operating system. Document and back up the registry entries prior to implementing any changes.

To open the Registry Editor, click Start > Run, type regedit and click OK.
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Agents.
Double-click NumAgents.
In the Value data field, type 5 and select the Decimal option.
Click OK.
Close the Registry Editor.
Note: This task does not apply when moving between MSDE databases.

It's my understanding this should only be done if you are using SQL - not MSDE for a database.
"Sink or Swim" Educated
Old 09-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
phickman

Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks for this, I found the key shortly after posting this but the agent shutdown. You are correct MSDE only support 2 agents and I already have 2 running.

Thanks

Paul
Old 12-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
steve710

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-mobile
Default value of 5

You state a value of 5 for the registry change, mine is already 5, what value can you increase to? 10? 20

thanks
Old 12-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #5
midwestguy2007
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830e
PIN: 317B7EE3
Carrier: u.s.celluar

Are you referring to how many messenger services you can run while on BES? I 'm suffering from a lack of sleep so I hope I don't seem redundant. I currently have a third party MSN messenger and when I add the yahoo from RIM-I get nothing but problems....am I confusing things more?
Old 12-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
steve710

Default yes i want to increase the number from 5 messaging agents in the registry

Can I go to 10? 15? 20?

Increase the maximum number of BlackBerry Messaging Agents registry entry

To change the maximum number of BlackBerry Messaging Agents, complete the following steps:

Warning: The following procedure involves modifying the computer registry. This can cause substantial damage to the Microsoft Windows operating system. Document and back up the registry entries prior to implementing any changes.

To open the Registry Editor, click Start > Run, type regedit and click OK.
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Agents.
Double-click NumAgents.
In the Value data field, type 5 and select the Decimal option.
Click OK.
Close the Registry Editor.
Note: This task does not apply when moving between MSDE databases.

It's my understanding this should only be done if you are using SQL - not MSDE for a database.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
DarkWater
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I would not recommend anything higher than 10 total agents.

Keep in mind you are adding another CPU/Memory using process to your server.

Unless you have a beast of a blade server with 8+ GB of RAM and a quad core crazy CPU, you run the risk of bogging your system down.

Also, just because you change the max, doesn't mean the server will always use the max.

If you are on 4.1, then you an use static agents to separate known problem causing users from everyone else. These would potentially include anyone in remote Exchange servers or with larger than normal mailboxes.

Last edited by DarkWater; 12-11-2007 at 06:44 PM..
Old 12-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #8
DarkWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve710 View Post
This is correct, because MSDE has limits on concurrent connections. This is why the BES limits the agents to just 2 when you use MSDE rather than 5 for a full SQL server.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWater View Post
I would not recommend anything higher than 10 total agents.

Keep in mind you are adding another CPU/Memory using process to your server.

Unless you have a beast of a blade server with 8+ GB of RAM and a quad core crazy CPU, you run the risk of bogging your system down.

Also, just because you change the max, doesn't mean the server will always use the max.

If you are on 4.1, then you an use static agents to separate known problem causing users from everyone else. These would potentially include anyone in remote Exchange servers or with larger than normal mailboxes.
DW -

Could I in theory increase the number of agents and then set the max # of users per agent key to spread out users for less users / agent?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #10
DarkWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
DW -

Could I in theory increase the number of agents and then set the max # of users per agent key to spread out users for less users / agent?
In theory I suppose. I don't specifically know of anyone who tried.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:38 AM   #11
Dookie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mo

Is there any1 who tried to increase the number of agents to more than 5? Just wondering, because i've got some issue with work threads blocked and if i will have, lets say 7 agents, then it will affect less users.
Got a DL580 G2, 4GB, 4 proc's.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:45 AM   #12
steve710

Default agents

I am going to be trying it today moving from 5 to 10, i'll advise my results
Old 12-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #13
DarkWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookie View Post
Is there any1 who tried to increase the number of agents to more than 5? Just wondering, because i've got some issue with work threads blocked and if i will have, lets say 7 agents, then it will affect less users.
Got a DL580 G2, 4GB, 4 proc's.
It happens more often that static agents are created, rather than just increasing the maximum number of agents available.

This way you can pick and choose which users to go which extra agent, which is sometimes more helpful than leaving it up to chance essentially.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #14
steve710

Default Registry

I notice after changing the value in the registry if I reboot or cycle bby services it reverts to 5, I exported a copy of that entry that I set to 10 and can run a batch file to re-enable it. My question is will this even make a difference on my production box of 800 users?
Old 12-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #15
blincoln
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

If the value is reverting then you are probably changing the wrong value. I have both of our BESes set to use 7 agents, and it survives a restart of the services. You can verify that it's working because you will get an additional MAGT log for the new agents.
I believe on 4.1.4 I had to change the registry keys for number of agents, number of active agents, and the one that lists which agents were active, then restart the BES to bump up the number.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #16
steve710

Default Success in improving peformance

I did the registry increase to 9 agents and also limited the users per agent to a max of 128 each and I see a huge improvement. No email dalay now and all is operating as it should. FYI my environment is 800 users on 4.x exchange 03 & 07

other fix is here to limit # of users per agent

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...ispatcher.html

Last edited by steve710; 12-14-2007 at 04:45 PM..
Old 01-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #17
conwawj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: AT&T

Is this specific to Exchange? I am running on Domino and cannot get a clear answer from RIM if this setting applies to Domino or just Exchange.

I'm running BES 4.0 on Domino 6.5.6
Old 01-14-2008, 09:18 PM   #18
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

The number of Agents is determined by the either the Dispatcher or Controller service and has nothing to do with the mail platform that I am aware of. If you have Domino BES, then check the registry for the key and change to 6 and restart your services, in the off hours of course. It should work the same as Exchange. I've only seen Exchange BES use this as a fix to MAPI Worker Thread issues but it shouldn't be a permanent fix. Once the source of the Worker Thread issue is resolved you should no longer needed to have more then 5 Agents.
Closed Thread