Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
armsja

Model: 7100t
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Default Problem after upgrading from Express to Enterprise

Please Login to Remove!

Upgraded my SBS 2k3 server from BES express, to Enterprise 4.1 with a 20 user CAL.

What I suspect happened is, it (I) installed and used the existing database from the Express install. I only have 1 user in that old DB, so blowing that DB away and recreating wouldn't be a problem. Would need to know the steps or a link that walks me through this process.

I do show that it's using my current 20 user cal, but when I add more than 1 user it tells me I've exceeded the license limit. Don't believe the database sees this new CAL. Why, because after installation, I opened the BB Manager and I saw that the one user from the express was chilling, and had all his stats, and pin. That's just my guess. I had completely uninstalled the BES Express, thought I opted to blow everything away, apparently it didn't.

What are my options beside blowing away the database and reinstalling again?

I also have 2 other cals, which would give me a total of 35 licenses, I don't show a place to update these or input them. Do I call BB and have them generate a new one based on my current cals?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
21A

Model: 8130
Carrier: big V

I think the problem you're having is that your Express CAL locks your server in as an Express server, and thus it won't accept Enterprise CALs without an upgrade/unlock CAL first. It should be possible to remove the CALs and start over:
  • Open up SQL Management Studio (or Mgmt Studio Express if running MSDE/SQLExpress) and connect to your server as a user with DBA privileges
  • Drill down to [your server] > Databases > BesMgmt > Tables > dbo.LicenseKeys
  • Right-click dbo.LicenseKeys and choose Open Table
  • You should see a few rows in this table for your various keys. Select All, right-click, and Delete. Or, click to the left of each row, right-click, and Delete until there are no rows left in the table.
  • Now pop open BlackBerry Manager. It should tell you that there are no valid CALs and ask you to enter one. Enter all of your Enterprise CALs on this screen, but no Express CALs. Now you should be on a roll with all your Enterprise CALs.
This worked for me, but even if it doesn't work for you, you haven't really lost anything if you were planning to rebuild the configuration DB anyway (which I think would require a reinstall of BES).

Note also that if you do it this way, you don't need to recreate the one user that you had.

You can also get to the licensing screen from BlackBerry Domain > Account > License Management, but this screen will not allow you to enter Enterprise CALs if any Express CALs are still in the database.

Last edited by 21A; 10-18-2007 at 05:06 PM..
Old 10-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
armsja

Model: 7100t
Carrier: VZW

I wanna kiss you on the mouf! That worked beautifully. I owe you a Guiness.

Thank you for your reply is was spot on and acurate as hell. YOU ARE A ROCK STAR.

Last edited by armsja; 10-19-2007 at 11:22 AM..
Old 10-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsja View Post
I wanna kiss you on the mouf! That worked beautifully. I owe you a Guiness.

Thank you for your reply is was spot on and acurate as hell. YOU ARE A ROCK STAR.
Kissing is ok, but incorrect spelling of Guinness is not.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

*bump* I just wanted to bring this post into light. Awesome suggestion by 21A. I've got 10 free SRPs and over 3,500 free CALs. I just wanted to upgrade my BES Express installation (done in haste to test something prior to receiving a free SRP from AT&T) to full-blown BES in order to ready it for user expansion. No really easy way to do that without impacting the users or purchasing the upgrade key. Not that I'm opposed to purchasing something, but when you're more than fully licensed and simply want to avoid user impact, then why not use a workaround, such as the one mentioned above.

Anyhow, one of the truly great workarounds I've seen come from this forum in a long time.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
ckfoltz

Model: pearl
Carrier: sprint

I am having a similar issue. I had a BES 3.6 running on a 2003 server. The lease end on the server is coming up and I installed BES 4.1.4 on a new 2003 server. In order to not purchase a new SRP, I got the trial SRP for the SBS BES and put it on the new BES 4.1.4. I started adding users and I began receiving the license exceeded pop up. I then entered all our current CALs on the new server (keep in mind they were also running on the old server).

After testing completed, I moved all users to the new BES 4.1.4 and turned off the old BES. I updated the SRP and SRP Auth Key to the one that was used on the old BES 3.6 server (which has been purchased).

Now, I constantly receive the license limit exceeded pop up each time I open the BB Manager or add a new user. I have followed 21A's suggestion to no avail. I currently have 246 BB users and 275 CALs. So, I have 29 open CALs...certainly I am not over the limit.

HELP? I fear the exceeded limit issue will at some point cause me issues.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckfoltz View Post
I am having a similar issue. I had a BES 3.6 running on a 2003 server. The lease end on the server is coming up and I installed BES 4.1.4 on a new 2003 server. In order to not purchase a new SRP, I got the trial SRP for the SBS BES and put it on the new BES 4.1.4. I started adding users and I began receiving the license exceeded pop up. I then entered all our current CALs on the new server (keep in mind they were also running on the old server).

After testing completed, I moved all users to the new BES 4.1.4 and turned off the old BES. I updated the SRP and SRP Auth Key to the one that was used on the old BES 3.6 server (which has been purchased).

Now, I constantly receive the license limit exceeded pop up each time I open the BB Manager or add a new user. I have followed 21A's suggestion to no avail. I currently have 246 BB users and 275 CALs. So, I have 29 open CALs...certainly I am not over the limit.

HELP? I fear the exceeded limit issue will at some point cause me issues.
Welcome to the forums!

Have you gone into the licensekeys table in the database and purged all of the keys and then re-entered them (minus your SBS key of course)?
Closed Thread