Old 11-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Slight issue with media card

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all, I've had a weird problem pop up on my 8310 with a 4GB media card. Basically, when I open the media icon from the desktop, I get that bar at the bottom that says "...scanning" but unlike before when it would go away after a few seconds if I had added something, it just stays there permanently. And, all the functions like pictures, ringtones, music, all work normally except for [Videos]. When I select videos, I get the normal three options, all.., my..., and there's another one, but no matter which one I select, the next screen says, "No Videos".

However, if I back up a screen or two, and I do the left-click thing, and I selelct, "Explore", I can go into the video folder and all my videos are there and I can open and watch each one. At least the ones I've tried so far.

This may have occured since I uploaded a couple videos but I don't remember which ones and I'm wondering if I have to delete them all and start adding them back one by one to find out which one might be causing the problem or is there an easier way?

Any ideas would realy be appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Here is what I would try first: Move all of the media files from the media card to a folder on your computer. Just the media files; not any of the .dat files or anything else, but just the actual audio and video files. Then delete everything, including any hidden files, from the media card. Then either sync the media back to the card, or copy it to the card, and try again. For good measure, it wouldn't hurt to do a hard reset before you put the media back on the card.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

In reply to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted (8820)

Here is what I would try first: Move all of the media files from the media card to a folder on your computer. Just the media files; not any of the .dat files or anything else, but just the actual audio and video files. Then delete everything, including any hidden files, from the media card. Then either sync the media back to the card, or copy it to the card, and try again. For good measure, it wouldn't hurt to do a hard reset before you put the media back on the card.
...that sounds like the best plan of action and it worked, pretty much. As it turns out, one of my video files just doesn't make the BB happy.

I'm still not certain just what the difference is whether you just copy videos to the media card via copy/paste through Windows Explorer or when you use that Roxio Media Manager that always asks if you would like to, "Convert the files for optimal Playback". But I just used Windows Explorer to remove them all and put them in a temporay folder on my desktop. I hard-booted the BB and checked it and the "Scanning" completed after a few seconds like it use to. Then I used the Roxio Media Manager to put the files back. I noticed that it got all the files converted and copied except for one. It worked on this one file for over five minutes so I cancelled that convert operation. When I disconnected and checked the BB, the scanning feature worked normal and my videos were accessable in the normal way. SO all is well minus that one video. And it wasn't that good anyway,

Thank you very much. And just out of curiosity and even though I think I remember reading about it somewhere, but what is the advantage of using that Roxio convert process?
Old 11-14-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

The consenus around here seems to be don't use media manager. Too many problems, and you don't really need it. The only possible need is with videos, but I can't help you there---I don't have much experience with videos. I'll bet, though, that if you search the forum you'll find some alternatives for doing video conversion. Anyway, I don't use media manager. I often sync with windows media play, sometimes drag and drop.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
The consenus around here seems to be don't use media manager. Too many problems, and you don't really need it. The only possible need is with videos, but I can't help you there---I don't have much experience with videos. I'll bet, though, that if you search the forum you'll find some alternatives for doing video conversion. Anyway, I don't use media manager. I often sync with windows media play, sometimes drag and drop.
Thanks, I appreciate the heads up. I'll look around for some info and alternatives.