Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Default the irony of Apple...

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone find it ironic that information is leaked about the BlackBerry Kickstart device and RIM's stock gains $8/share over 1.5 days... yet Apple announces the iPhone 3G for less than $200 retail with worldwide availability within the month and Apple's stock drops $4/share? It would be one thing if they didn't announce the device until after the closing bell, however the day traders had more than enough time building up to the release (it briefly rebounded but as soon as the keynote was over, the stock dropped again). That's pretty heavy...

...then again, I know nothing about the stock market. But of course, on Apple's Crowning Glory Day, RIM's stock rose nearly $3/share. How's them apples for ya?
Old 06-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Carrier: None

ahahhhhaha nicely put "how's them apples for ya" very nice
Old 06-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
strike2tamu
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (8100 Strike 2)

Don't doubt it.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
jessep28
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

The 3G iPhone was probably already priced into Apple's stock price. What most likely caused the drop was the announcement that Apple would lose their royalty payments.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:19 PM   #5
hnsimpson

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8703e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28
The 3G iPhone was probably already priced into Apple's stock price. What most likely caused the drop was the announcement that Apple would lose their royalty payments.
If they are losing the royalties, then why is AT&T raising their data package to $30 (from $20)

-simpson

-Young MC
Old 06-09-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Carrier: None

because people are going to use more bytes when 3g comes out for the iphone... the pages loads faster and people will want to browse more
Old 06-09-2008, 10:33 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

it's pretty ironic...One of the headlines I saw on fox news tonight was "Is Apple in Trouble?"
Old 06-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #8
hnsimpson

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it

Wirelessly posted (8703e)

AT&T also agreed to offset the initial cost of the device in exchange for the cut in royalty to Apple.

-simpson

-Young MC
Old 06-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
rsnadel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Sorry if this is off-topics...but can anyone tell me if the iPhone will allow for "push" email if you are NOT connected to a BES? I can't tell whether there's a BIS type equivalent for non-Exchange users.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: rogers(thiefs)

iPhone will have microsoft exchange support and mobileme which is their version of BIS I THINK!! not 100% on what BIS is. and they will have push email as well.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:05 AM   #11
jnev

Model: 8330

Wirelessly posted

People were expecting a lot more for the iphone... Everything that apple released was already expected by most rumersites, and there were a few expected features that never even showed up. Plus stevie didn't even have "one more thing"...
Old 06-10-2008, 03:12 AM   #12
oakie

Model: 9700
PIN: CERS!
Carrier: T-Mobile, Verizon

this always happens for apple product announcements. the stock endures a huge run-up based on rumor and speculation for a couple of months before releases, then drops a couple bucks after release after some rumors end up not panning out. add to it apple's predictability on product release schedules, and you get investors ramping up in the foreshadow of a product release, then dumping the stock on the day of.

why dump on the day of a release with apple? just in case they release something like the AppleTV or the MacBook Air again.

few other techs see this in their stock price during a release due to strategically placed leaks and official announcements that keep investors from clinging onto rumor and false hopes.

Last edited by oakie; 06-10-2008 at 03:15 AM..
Old 06-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #13
jibi
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

I wouldn't mind buying a bit of stock between now and the actual launch in July. Apple's stock is up nearly 200% since the iPhone was released. I don't think that's a coincidence,
Old 06-10-2008, 06:12 AM   #14
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I'm selling when it hits 200 the next time.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:46 AM   #15
dualsub2006

Model: Droid
PIN: Head

It's no surprise at all that investors are cool to WWDC. The loss of the $10 per month per user from the revenue sharing deal is a problem for investors. AT&T wanted out of it, and that's fine. Apple should have pulled the AT&T exclusive on the phone.

From an investor standpoint the iPhone 3G will mean more handset sales but less revenue overall. Not a great day. However, this too shall pass and things will take care of themselves. Regardless of the hit, I still bought at just about $19 a share.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #16
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

its interesting that the iPhone 2 didnt bring more to the table. I havent looked that much around but does anyone have hard specs on processor? with the upcoming BBs releasing with ALL the same features of the iPhone, plus more, why would anyone get an iPhone over anything else? Granted we havent seen the UI of the 9500 yet, but i am failing to see what is so new and great about this version 2? Did apple perhaps miss the boat?
Old 06-10-2008, 07:39 AM   #17
RJStripes

Model: 8800
Carrier: Sprint

To whoever said the phone was built into the price of the stock...

RIMM's stock jumped after the official press release of the BOLD back in May. And people knew just as much (if not more) about it as they did about the iPhone 3G. (Remember, we has people who had the BOLD in hand and gave us a rundown. I don't recall any live photos of the 3G.

The iPhone's problem so far (Maybe more features will come) is that all they added was 3G, GPS and more memory. Things that already exist in other phones. Nothing to write home about.

Apple's stock did rise after the iPhone last year, but it was also something completely new. This was less than stellaer. RIMM has a completely different oppotunity in the fact that they have an open canvas for new products. Touchscreen, flip, etc. Apple users (aka lemings) will look at those types of changes as a step back, and therefore, not appeal.

I know they are more talented than this, but it seems like Apple is like the comedian who is really funny the first time, but after that, is horrible because they use all there material and then they've got nothing.

Good computers, and then they come up with a thin/lightweight computer. If the 5lb laptop was too much to carry around and you just had to go down to the 3lb macbook air. You need to grow a pair!

Revolutionary phone, and then they add features that other phones already have.

Great UI .mp3 player, and then they add storage space.

Now they are giving away stuff to college kids who purchase a MacBook to entice them to buy Apple computers.

Apple is slowly acquiring market share but not at a record pace by any means.

They will need to come up with another groundbreaking product or risk moderate growth over the next few years.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:42 AM   #18
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

iPhone 2 has the exact same storage as the iPhone 1 doesnt it? 8 and 16gb versions? hell, my 8310 running 4.5 has 16gb of memory now.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:51 AM   #19
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

from was i have read the MobileMe App will bring Push Email/Contacts/calender/Picture/ And Hard Disk Space to save apps and documents. Its almost the same as Hosted exchange with a little twist. I think the App store is what will drive revenue as well as mobile Itunes. the Phone is just an extension to the already solid Product line. The market is funny sometimes day trades were expecting another "Best Phone Ever". the stock price will go up once the sales numbers for the first month sales come in.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 06-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #20
dualsub2006

Model: Droid
PIN: Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
Did apple perhaps miss the boat?
Nope, not IMHO. The better question is has RIM missed the boat for all of these years that they have been making phones? After all of this time this is the best that they could do?

There is the upcoming iPhone Apps Store that will extend the functionality of the phone further than Apple can alone, more and more websites are coming out with iPhone only versions and on any number of sites that measure mobile phone usage the iPhone is the far and away winner. Look at the Flickr page for most used camera phones here at the bottom of the page:

Flickr: Mobile Tools

Not a BlackBerry in the list anywhere.

Let's not forget that the iPhone has iTunes built in which allows for buying songs or TV shows and actually playing them on the device. 32GB of storage and a web and email visual experience that no current BB can touch and it can hardly be said that Apple missed the boat.

I have (or should I say that my daughter now has) an iPhone, an iPod Touch, a Pearl and my wife has a Curve. I love my Pearl. Great size, great features, but I keep my Touch with me at all times. When I am in Wi-Fi range nothing beats the web and email experience of the iPhone/iPod Touch. Nothing. I read people here complain about the iPhone virtual keyboard, but quite frankly I don't have any issues with it all.

I won't get another one for as long as it is AT&T only because a lot of the places that I go simply don't get AT&T coverage, but if it were available on VZW I can promise you that I would keep my BB for my business needs and replace my personal phone with an iPhone.

Apple has been making phones for 1 year. Like the iPod didn't become a GREAT product until the 4G, I'll be very interested to see what the third generation iPhone is like.

Did Apple introduce the BlackBerry killer as a C|Net blogger proclaimed? No. Will they ever? No. Does the iPhone cut in to BB sales? Yes. Will the new BB cut in to iPhone sales? It certainly will with people that are on the fence and depending on features when released it will convert some iPhone users. Did Apple miss the boat? You gotta be kidding me.
Closed Thread