Biggles
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinecurea View Post
Hijack much?
Hijack? I was under the impression we were both seeking an answer to the same question, how to ensure the browser uses Wi-Fi over GPRS? If only one person can ask at a time, carry on by all means
Old 09-12-2008, 03:13 AM   #22
JW021979
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2 UK

Found how to browse using WIFI.
Open the browser. Goto options and then genral options. You need to change the browser from Vodafone Live (or your networks version) to Hotspot Browser. This will then use the WIFI. On a Vodafone branded version you will still have the Vodafone Live browser, which will use GPRS/3G, in the menu as well as the normal browser which will now connect via WIFI.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:47 AM   #23
david_uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
It's able to use both, hence my question. But I assume it only uses one or the other for any one connection?

But can I tell which?
With Mobile Network switched on but WiFi switched off, I can still use OM.

With WiFi switched on but Mobile Network switched off, I can still use OM.

And in OM's Settings | Network, WiFi is unchecked all the time.

From which I conclude that OM uses WiFi when available. And BTW there was very little difference in performance.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:02 AM   #24
colonel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: w950i
Carrier: vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW021979 View Post
Found how to browse using WIFI.
Open the browser. Goto options and then genral options. You need to change the browser from Vodafone Live (or your networks version) to Hotspot Browser. This will then use the WIFI. On a Vodafone branded version you will still have the Vodafone Live browser, which will use GPRS/3G, in the menu as well as the normal browser which will now connect via WIFI.
correct

there seems to be no universal option in BB,unlike Nokia, to make all IP requests automatically go through wifi if it exists. This seems to be a per application thing on BB. anyone know different please say!
Old 10-11-2008, 07:44 AM   #25
andyc0le

Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default Greyed Out WIFI Icon

I'm having similar problems and totally confused, someone please help!

I'm on a Bold and Vodafone UK. I CAN see my home network name etc (on home screen and manage connections) and in my manage connections the wifi is ticked and the network name appears - but unlike the mobile network which has a green tick, my wifi has a white dash.

On the home screen the wifi is greyed out, and not bold/black/white. I DO think it was working previously, not sure what has changed.

I do have data plan etc.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #26
kpw4v

PIN: 25542079
Carrier: Orange

Wirelessly posted

I am on Orange UK running .162 and the bb browser works fine on my wireless at home. It logs on automatically. When I had the browser set to hotspot some apps would not work over gprs when there was no wireless. I did have similar issues to OP with the originally installed .092

Kevin

BlackBerry 8700
OS .194
Old 10-12-2008, 07:58 AM   #27
andyc0le

Carrier: Vodafone UK

Thanks Kevin - it mysteriously started to work again yday evening! That said, I'm currently in the middle of a download for new OS, whcih might fix some funnies I've been experiencing.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #28
scullyjps

Model: bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telstra

how do i get plazmic themes onto my bold??
Old 10-27-2008, 12:41 AM   #29
cuto

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

so have we determined if the Bold will automatically choose to use the wifi connection over mobile network connection for the blackberry apps at least? i know some other 3rd party apps need to be designed to use the wifi connection if it's present. i just wonder if both my mobile network and wifi connection (wifi logo is lit) are connected, would my BIS emails, PIN, bb maps, bb messenger all come through wifi? what about 3rd party apps (IM's like live messenger, gtalk, etc.) or is that too hard to tell?

anyhow, so right now i set my bb browser to open the hotspot browser by default. that way when i'm connected to wifi, it'll use the wifi connection. say if i am not in an area with wifi, do i have to change the settings to the regular internet browser, close, and then start again to use bb data? there IS an option in the bb menu that says "Start BB Connection". does that mean it'll temporarily use the mobile network connection?
Old 10-27-2008, 01:05 AM   #30
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Yes, if you have the wifi logo in bold then that means that BIS is connected through wifi and all that data will go over wifi. Any app that will connect through BIS will work over the BIS wifi connection. Most apps made for the BB work over a BIS connection.

If you have a BB data plan, then set the browser for Internet Browser. It will use the wifi BIS connection first. If you set it for Hotspot browser then when you're not in a wifi area, you won't get anything using the browser.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:30 AM   #31
cuto

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Yes, if you have the wifi logo in bold then that means that BIS is connected through wifi and all that data will go over wifi. Any app that will connect through BIS will work over the BIS wifi connection. Most apps made for the BB work over a BIS connection.

If you have a BB data plan, then set the browser for Internet Browser. It will use the wifi BIS connection first. If you set it for Hotspot browser then when you're not in a wifi area, you won't get anything using the browser.
ooh, i like how the BB Bold is so smart in prioritizing the data connection medium. so what if i was already on live messenger chatting away, i just got home, and the bold connected via wifi with the wifi logo lit, does that mean all data is being routed through wifi or the mobile network? i tried turning off the mobile network radio and the live messenger connection dropped even though i was connected over wifi. :( i'm guessing if i want to use the wifi connection, i need to re-login when i'm connected to wifi?
Closed Thread