Old 12-28-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
pinkllama

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Default blackberry email & battery life

Please Login to Remove!

hi all,

could someone explain blackberry email to me.

i currently have a nokia e71 and have tried various push email applications on it. the problem is, despite the e71's excellent battery life for everything else, when i enable push email it just kills the battery in approx 1 & 1/2 days. i guess this is because there is a constant data connection.

with a blackberry, is email sent like sms messages, ie not needing a constant data connection?

could someone also tell me the approx battery life while push (or whatever it's called on a blackberry) is enabled and no other phone functions are used.

i'm 90% ready to get a 8900 i just want to get my emails without having to charge my phone every night.

thanks in advance
Old 12-28-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Whether they last me all day or not (and the 8900 barely does), I have been charging cell phones every night while I sleep for 25 years now (the first ones had a whole 20 minutes talk time!).

It's a good routine to have, regardless - like yourself, keeps you topped off fresh in the morning, ready for the day ahead

And, PS - although I never just use the Blackberry for solely e-mail, and, nothing else, I would have to imagine the 8900 should do 3 days or more if you don't check the mails. Of course, how often you look at the mails makes the difference on battery life.

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com

Last edited by jeffharris; 12-28-2008 at 06:56 AM..
Old 12-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Here you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkllama View Post
i guess this is because there is a constant data connection.
RIM's push email is a not a constant data connection. The RIM servers push the email (on a personal BIS account) on a 15 minute schedule.
See this for details: http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...oll-email.html

with a blackberry, is email sent like sms messages, ie not needing a constant data connection?

Correct. Although, your device must maintain a contstant connection (3G, EDGE or EVDO) with your carrier.

could someone also tell me the approx battery life while push (or whatever it's called on a blackberry) is enabled and no other phone functions are used.

It is whatever the device specifications state (and likely less in real-world use).

i'm 90% ready to get a 8900 i just want to get my emails without having to charge my phone every night.

Read this: Battery Use Tips for your Maximum Battery Life | BlackBerryNews.com
Old 12-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
david_uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkllama View Post

thanks in advance
Obviously your mileage may vary, but if you use your 8900 for messaging only you should get at least two days from each charge.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
pinkllama

PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2

thanks for all the advise, pretty sure i'm going to pick one up in a couple of months when my contract is up for renewal.
Closed Thread