BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:10 AM   #21
Andyn
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT&T / Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Yeah Right.....ATT has been promising 3G in my area for a year.....They say Aug 17th. Data and voice has been Horrible lately, guess from the towers being upgrade(hopefully). It just amazes me though how Verizon has had 3g here for 3 years! ATT is just ading it and only for 60% of the county.

www.twitter.com/SgtAndyNorris
Old 07-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #22
Jarrod623

Model: 9800
PIN: Just Ask! PM Me...
Carrier: AT&T

Thats funny since VZW only launched 3g 6 months ago nationwide.

Afraid You Might Miss Big BlackBerry News??
Follow me on TWITTER For Fast BB News

The BlackBerry Dictionary
Old 07-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #23
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

EVDO Rev A has been in many places (perhaps not "nationwide") for quite some time now.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #24
Jarrod623

True yes, over the last 1 or 2 max they have been laying the platforms and 6 months ago they went Nationwide. Still no 3+ years..

Old 07-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #25
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

So you don't really know when EVDO rev A went live for Andyn....
It's OK to defend AT&T and their 3G network (no comments from me), but you really don't know when it went live.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #26
xplode
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod623 View Post
lol, att is not working on anything.

I work for them and we are waiting for the 5.0 release.

Get .282 and just turn 3g off for now. Hopfully 5.0 OS will fix 3g drop calls on Bold.
I must disagree with you on this. At&t is currently testing a new version of OS 4.6. they are currently testing .285 and should see this release coming if all goes well.

Last edited by xplode; 07-27-2009 at 05:25 PM..
Old 07-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #27
Jarrod623

And your mother's, cusin's, uncle's, roomate works for at&t right?

Old 07-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #28
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

So his word is different than yours.
Interesting
Old 07-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #29
xplode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod623 View Post
And your mother's, cusin's, uncle's, roomate works for at&t right?
Its not important how i know and no i dont have any relatives or friends of friends at at&t. Its important that i DO know at&t is testing .285 and it should be released soon.. If your one who prefers to stay with at&t released OS's rest assured, but if your not TmobileUK will have the download available for .291 very soon
Old 07-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #30
SmoothRunnings

Model: 9700
PIN: 21B694E3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Interesting thread here, I would have to say the dropped calls are more due to network issues at AT&T as I have yet to experience dropped calls on my BOLD here in Canada on the Rogers Wireless network and I have version .266 of the firmware installed.

I don't see how fixing the firmware will fix their network problem unless they want to throttle your level of service by locking the phone into 2G mode.

:o)

A.

Last edited by SmoothRunnings; 07-28-2009 at 09:11 PM..
Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #31
xplode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothRunnings View Post
Interesting thread here, I would have to say the dropped calls are more due to network issues at AT&T as I have yet to experience dropped calls on my BOLD here in Canada on the Rogers Wireless network and I have version .266 of the firmware installed.

I don't see how fixing the firmware will fix their network problem unless they want to throttle your level of service by locking the phone into 2G modem.

:o)

A.
You are correct. There is no OS in the world that will Fix or Patch a tower/coverage related issue.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #32
Fat Ryan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplode View Post
You are correct. There is no OS in the world that will Fix or Patch a tower/coverage related issue.
if it were a tower/coverage issue, every AT&T 3G phone would drop calls. its the Bold....or rather how the Bold "deals" with 3G lol
Old 07-29-2009, 11:32 PM   #33
thebluedot

Are there any non-official releases that fix this problem? Also is .282 the latest "official" release and will it work with AT&T's bold?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #34
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Ryan View Post
if it were a tower/coverage issue, every AT&T 3G phone would drop calls. its the Bold....or rather how the Bold "deals" with 3G lol
Man, you need to chill a bit. You have had issues with your Bold... then you put a beta OS on it and at least for now it's bricked. But don't go off peeing in everybody's punch bowl because you're having a bad time of it.

I have had my Bold since March and have not dropped a call yet. Period. Call me a liar if if makes you feel better, but I have NO issues with my Bold whatsoever... and many people on these forums and elsewhere have a similar experience with their Bolds.

Now, so that we are not completely guilty of thread-crapping, AT&T is NOT working on a "patch" to the Bold OS for any purpose. RIM writes the code to build the OS, and the providers (AT&T, T-Mo, Verizon, Sprint and the others) TEST the OS to make sure they are satisfied with its performance on their respective networks.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:40 PM   #35
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluedot View Post
Are there any non-official releases that fix this problem? Also is .282 the latest "official" release and will it work with AT&T's bold?
No. There is NO phone OS that can fix a tower issue.

Yes, OS 4.6.0.282 is currently the latest "official" OS release for the BlackBerry Bold and yes, it will work on the Bold regardless of which provider's name is silkscreened on the phone's shell.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #36
xplode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Ryan View Post
Software will not fix an issue with this type of thing. a phone has no choice of what tower to pick. This is up to the SIM card and the towers. phone doesnt have a choice in this.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:49 PM   #37
fonejunkie
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplode View Post
Software will not fix an issue with this type of thing. a phone has no choice of what tower to pick. This is up to the SIM card and the towers. phone doesnt have a choice in this.
He's been told to replace the SIM several times (in more than one thread), but at this point he is more interested in whining...
Old 07-29-2009, 11:51 PM   #38
xplode

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
He's been told to replace the SIM several times (in more than one thread), but at this point he is more interested in whining...
Well personally i could care less about people who whine and then do nothing about it. I only have interest in helping people who actually plan to do somthing about a problem. But then again some people genuinely have a problem that they are clueless to a solution. But yeah i agree that blaming a phone and its software for issues unrelated to a phone problem is fairly pointless.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #39
xplode

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluedot View Post
for the FINAL time... THIS PROBLEM IS NOT A SOFTWARE RELATED PROBLEM... at&t will be releasing .285 soon as soon as it comes out of testing. currently 282 is the latest release.. but it will not have any affect on these problems that people are describing.. Call att people get a sim card replacement or see if towers in the area are being worked on. Lets not blame the entire network or a phone and software because of a bad sim card, or a tower that is having issues.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #40
Fat Ryan
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
Man, you need to chill a bit. You have had issues with your Bold... then you put a beta OS on it and at least for now it's bricked. But don't go off peeing in everybody's punch bowl because you're having a bad time of it.

I have had my Bold since March and have not dropped a call yet. Period. Call me a liar if if makes you feel better, but I have NO issues with my Bold whatsoever... and many people on these forums and elsewhere have a similar experience with their Bolds.

Now, so that we are not completely guilty of thread-crapping, AT&T is NOT working on a "patch" to the Bold OS for any purpose. RIM writes the code to build the OS, and the providers (AT&T, T-Mo, Verizon, Sprint and the others) TEST the OS to make sure they are satisfied with its performance on their respective networks.
dude you dont even know what youre talking about, stop playing forum police. like i said, not EVERYONE has 3G issues, but its VERY common... unlike you seem to believe.

and secondly, go back a reread my thread. my Bold issues has nothing to do with OS 5.0. i knew os 5.0 is beta and it was risky, thats not what my threads about. in fact i started the thread (tonight) b4 i even DLed os 5.0 or even finished my XBM swap for that matter. and BTW, my Bold isnt bricked whatsoever. getting error message popups doesnt mean "bricked" FYI. which btw, the messages appear to have stopped. ive had Bold issues since i got it in march. ive tried every 4.x OS released, some are better than others, but its still an issue. countless people have come to my store with all the same issues i have plus im on my 3rd Bold and still having problems. yeah, its all in my head :rolleyes:

and as for the thread topic...this isnt anything ive heard from anyone in AT&T, but looking at it from the business aspect, its really not cost effective to create a free patch for the Bold. they can simply release a newer BB with the same "patch" ad actually make money off it. dropping 3G calls hasnt killed anyone yet (i dont think), so im sure they see no urgency to release a fix. think about it like a car. it could be the biggest piece of crap right off the line with parts breaking left and right, but if its not a safety issue you gotta rely on warranty or your wallet.
Closed Thread