Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9360
Carrier: Sprint
Default Scrolling Ball

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone else having issues sometimes using the ball? Sometimes it won't move in the direction you want it to.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I had that happen this afternoon -- would not go down. I wiped the trackball with a little rubbing alcohol and rolled it around. Usually that happens due to lint or something from your fingers getting on it.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
thebluedot

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Keep playing around with it. 9.5 out of 10 times whatever debri that is lodged in the trackball area can be released when rolling it enough. Happens to my phone anytime I have a lot of lint in my pocket.

If all else fails, people sell trackballs online (check ebay) for cheap.

Good luck...
Old 07-30-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluedot View Post
Keep playing around with it. 9.5 out of 10 times whatever debri that is lodged in the trackball area can be released when rolling it enough. Happens to my phone anytime I have a lot of lint in my pocket.

If all else fails, people sell trackballs online (check ebay) for cheap.

Good luck...
In order to change the track ball on a tour you have to disassemble the device which would void that persons warranty. Bad advice! ... I do agree with the other half of your advice.

Last edited by jsntrenkler; 07-30-2009 at 01:36 AM..
Old 07-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
npaulseth

Also, disassembling the Tour is a royal PITA
Old 07-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
DC-WiFi.com
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

I exchanged my first Tour for a second yesterday. On the first Tour the only issues were the back door cover and the battery. The battery seems to be vastly improved on the new Tour, but the trackball is bloody awful!!! Right out of the box it just will not go horizontal well. I have made every adjustment possible. Sucks!
Old 07-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
MadCruzer

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-WiFi.com View Post
I exchanged my first Tour for a second yesterday. On the first Tour the only issues were the back door cover and the battery. The battery seems to be vastly improved on the new Tour, but the trackball is bloody awful!!! Right out of the box it just will not go horizontal well. I have made every adjustment possible. Sucks!
I had the SAME issue with my first tour. Poor horizontal. Even with the sensitivity at 90 it would sometimes scroll the opposite direction.

Exchanged for new one. This unit is perfect, and my battery door is tight now too.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
9duc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hmm. Horizontal scroll on mine is a bit glitchy also. I settled on the sensitivity set at 90 (vertical set at 70), but sometimes it "jumps" in the other direction...

On the other hand, vertical scroll works perfectly.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and exchange, although I hate to go through the (small amount of) inconvenience. I already covered it with Bodyguardz, and would have to do it again...
Old 07-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Sarlic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I have my horizontal at 90 as well, vertical at 70. Are new Tour's available with tighter battery covers or something? That's a hell of a quick turn around if that's the case. I've read about a lot of issues with the track ball, sounds like a crap shoot if you're going to exchange, unless a bunch of new units with "fixes" have come out. Has everyone had improvements in trackball/battery door movement after exchange?
Old 07-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
Foppa

Model: 8130
Carrier: VZW

Go to options > status and type test. Run the keyboard / trackball test.

The question from here is, what's a good test result. At sensitivity 80, should you be able to get to 10? At sensitivity 100, get to 30? What can people get to?

On mine, I can get a much higher number scrolling up and down than left and right. Wondering if I have a trackball problem. A bummer since everything else is great.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #11
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: PM and Ask

Title says scrolling ball?...man I thought u where new till I saw how many posts u have. U know it is called a trackball right....lololol...

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:51 AM   #12
mikedealer

Model: 8830
Carrier: sprint

just to chime in, i had same problem with my TWO blackberrys. Bought them 5 Days ago, i am on my third one.

First one, worked GREAT for a day, next day horizontal scrolling would not work well at all, tryed cleaning, no luck. Sprint said to bring it to store for replacement.

Third day, less than 24 hours later, the horizontal scrolling died on me AGAIN. called sprint, they said bring it back. got replacement, again....

Now i am on my third Tour. had this for about 2 days now. The Scrolling seems to be working still, BUT when you play something like brickbreaker, i see the glitchiness in the horizontal scrolling still..

What the heck is going on with the Tours here? why make a non-poppable trackball???
Old 07-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #13
complexx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I've already replaced one Tour due to this problem. I"m hoping the second one is better but I have zero confidence that this will not happen again. I'm expecting it, and when it happens, this phone will be returned as well. Recommendation is to not keep the phone in your pocket. The lint will (yes, will) eventually cause your trackball to function like crap. So will any other dirt that is on your fingers. Keep em clean!
Old 08-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
MadCruzer

Well, I am on day 3 with my replacement and the trackball is working just as good as it did on my 8830. My battery door is tight now too.

I read on another thread about QC issues with hardware made in Canada. This tour was made in Mexico. Not sure where my first one was from.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:49 AM   #15
Andyn

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT&T / Verizon

You have to be careful with what is on your fingertips when you touch the trackball. If your fingers are oilly, then it will impair the movement of the trackball. You just have to clean it or move it around to rid it of the foreign matter.

www.twitter.com/SgtAndyNorris
Old 08-02-2009, 01:50 AM   #16
Andyn

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT&T / Verizon

I cant believe I've been on this site 3 years! Wow!

www.twitter.com/SgtAndyNorris
Old 08-02-2009, 02:38 AM   #17
knhellesky
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: None

Just got my Tour yesterday afternoon and trackball is NOT working the way its suppose to. Up and Down is OK as well as going Left; but going Right...I don't feel the "traction" that your suppose to feel.

Extremely disappointed

Going back to the store and try to get a replacement.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:07 AM   #18
sswyden
Thumbs Must Hurt

My horizontal movement has been terrible out of the box. Not a lint problem. I've tried multiple sensitivity settings to see if it helps. No luck. The trackball (size just too small, and lack of smooth control) is the most disappointing issue I have with the Tour (and there are very few). Been traveling a lot buut after reading this thread, I think I'll try to do a swap.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #19
mmaldin

Carrier: sprint

Have had the Tour for 2 days now, the trackball is awful. Is this a hadrware or software issue? Any Ideas?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #20
knhellesky

Model: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaldin View Post
Have had the Tour for 2 days now, the trackball is awful. Is this a hadrware or software issue? Any Ideas?
Definitely hardware.

I just got mine replaced this morning and the new one I got is much more responsive.

Good thing that the rep that helped me has a Blackberry, so he knew that the trackball was bad.
Closed Thread