SmoothRunnings
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 21B694E3
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrydeezz View Post
Don't get me wrong I love my tour, it just works for alot of things for me. Mainly keyboard and I can actully get things done faster on it. But I'm with sprint and the evo 4g is a killer and the fact that you can actully type faster with swype like seen in the samsung commerical (not that fast maybe).

Anyway I just saw this on yahoo and honestly I have to agree because RIM is getting dated everyday. I don't see how a blackberry phone can cost as much or equal to any of the other iphones, etc.

why-blackberry-users-will-defect: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
Can I use BES or BESX on the other devices? NOPE! RIM is the only company that makes devices that truly use "PUSH" technology correctly. The other devices out there require you to initiate push technology.

Plus from what I seen, there are a lot of corporations out there with 3k+ users who use BB's in their organization, they aren't going to throw away millions of invested technology and buy another brand to only have more problems.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:26 AM   #122
darkamikaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 20d94251
Carrier: AT&T or Cingular

millions of invested technology.. well if the competition can deliver to rival of that of RIM's.. then why not? millions for more millions?

I really don't know what is going on within RIM but I hope they can deliver something before the end of this year.. I really hope 0s6 is as good as they claim. It looks good IMO. They just really need good 3rd party support for apps and things...
Old 07-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #123
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkamikaze View Post
millions of invested technology.. well if the competition can deliver to rival of that of RIM's.. then why not? millions for more millions?

I really don't know what is going on within RIM but I hope they can deliver something before the end of this year.. I really hope 0s6 is as good as they claim. It looks good IMO. They just really need good 3rd party support for apps and things...
The competition still does not even come close.

OS6 will be an incremental update. Corporate clients don't want radical changes. There is a reason why WinXP is still widely used.

It is good to keep in mind that this community is the minority. Most users don't even know that you can update the OS. Corps won't do it either. If I'm a BB admin with hundreds or thousands of devices out there, the last thing I want to do is to cycle them all through my office to update the OS. And then deal with the resulting support calls. In most corps, OS6 will be delivered like all new OSs are delivered, as new devices come with them.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #124
hunterslaby

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

im only 15 and replaced an iphone and samsung impression with a blackberry bold 9650 and its beats every phone i have ever had.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #125
jimn367
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothRunnings View Post
Can I use BES or BESX on the other devices? NOPE! RIM is the only company that makes devices that truly use "PUSH" technology correctly. The other devices out there require you to initiate push technology.

Plus from what I seen, there are a lot of corporations out there with 3k+ users who use BB's in their organization, they aren't going to throw away millions of invested technology and buy another brand to only have more problems.
I don't know that statement to be completely true. I am not an IT person, but there was at least a Beta put out of Blackberry for Palm software. It may have been sold in some markets. That to me says that if the market forced it the Blackberry function could possibly be 'virtualized' on other devices.

Does anyone else remeber that app?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #126
jimn367
Thumbs Must Hurt

Aha!

BlackBerry - PDA Smartphone - BlackBerry Palm OS Technology at BlackBerry.com
Old 07-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #127
SarinAEON

Model: STORM
Carrier: verizon

As a Storm user, If I could have a phone the size of the Droid, in terms of screen size, that is also a blackberry, It would be ideal. I hate the pull out keyboards of the other brands.

To be honest, the Droid X is quite compelling, but it has no comprehensive backup applications, calender sharing and email management that can compare to blackberry. So if anyone at RIM is watching... can i get a bigger screen than the storm? My browsing and functionality will be expanded exponentially.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #128
blake.blake
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: pearl
Carrier: tmobile

hmm..

I have been using blackberry for over 7 years. My first berry, a 7510, yes old, nextel, and you couldn't even send regular sms messages.

Moving forward i have owned pretty much every rendition of a blackberry since then and paid full price for most of them.

Currently using a 9700 on tmo and its wonderful.

what berry does....
messaging is 2nd to none, speed, organization, unified inbox, easy searching, and storing data for a year at a time with ease.

and my inbox and an exact replica of my day, messages, bbm, phone calls.... its easy

speed, w/ disable dial from home screen enabled, sending an email, text or bbm can occur in seconds, without even looking at the phone, its all about speed. the phone just works and is FAST, no BS, NO FRILLS, its gets the job done.

I honestly love my blackberry and have converted many people into believers, the phone is amazing and i cant live without the keyboard.

but.... the phone just sucks!

without viigo, i would never be able to read sites that I frequent. the browser is terrible, and its just plain boring. There is really no happy median out there though. The form factor is wonderful but the screen and overall experience is terrible.

I use my phone for business and personal, but i would love for it to have a fun side too. iphones and driod devices are amazing and can be fun and do work at the same time. Obviously not like a blackberry but they have a fun factor.

I am slightly excited about the slider, but i feel the touch screen and size will just be dated compared to the market today.

But like alot of you, rim has me stuck thanks to the lovely keyboard, and just plain working the way its supposed to... FAST...

Honestly, I am bored as hell with it though.

Last edited by blake.blake; 07-26-2010 at 04:18 PM..
Old 07-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #129
gurvir19
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake.blake View Post
hmm..

I have been using blackberry for over 7 years. My first berry, a 7510, yes old, nextel, and you couldn't even send regular sms messages.

Moving forward i have owned pretty much every rendition of a blackberry since then and paid full price for most of them.

Currently using a 9700 on tmo and its wonderful.

what berry does....
messaging is 2nd to none, speed, organization, unified inbox, easy searching, and storing data for a year at a time with ease.

and my inbox and an exact replica of my day, messages, bbm, phone calls.... its easy

speed, w/ disable dial from home screen enabled, sending an email, text or bbm can occur in seconds, without even looking at the phone, its all about speed. the phone just works and is FAST, no BS, NO FRILLS, its gets the job done.

I honestly love my blackberry and have converted many people into believers, the phone is amazing and i cant live without the keyboard.

but.... the phone just sucks!

without viigo, i would never be able to read sites that I frequent. the browser is terrible, and its just plain boring. There is really no happy median out there though. The form factor is wonderful but the screen and overall experience is terrible.

I use my phone for business and personal, but i would love for it to have a fun side too. iphones and driod devices are amazing and can be fun and do work at the same time. Obviously not like a blackberry but they have a fun factor.

I am slightly excited about the slider, but i feel the touch screen and size will just be dated compared to the market today.

But like alot of you, rim has me stuck thanks to the lovely keyboard, and just plain working the way its supposed to... FAST...

Honestly, I am bored as hell with it though.
just wait for the slider....i am currently using it with the new os 6 and the browser is night and day difference..i moved from a 9700 and its a lot better....although the screen size is still behind from competition it is well worth the upgrade
Old 07-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #130
Donna

Model: 9650
PIN: t / Quart
Carrier: VZ

The BlackBerry is a BUSINESS Tool.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #131
darkamikaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 20d94251
Carrier: AT&T or Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I'm tired of hearing that.. It is, sure.. but Blackberry needs to attract a wide variety of audiences if they don't want a good chunk of their market share taken by competitors.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #132
jimn367
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
The thing I hate about this default argument is there is more to business than secure e-mail, and security can be brought to other platforms as well (a la Blackberry connect). As a business person that travels I can tell you I miss some of the features I had with a PPC or Palm phone with Seven software (Sprint Buisiness connect, et al) before the BES lock down became institutionalized. Features such as:
- The ability to browse and attach files from my desktop computer in an e-mail
- The ability to download files from my desktop and edit them on the device
- A stowaway keyboard
- Decent document editing capabilities
- Good task and schedule management utilities
- Ability to schedule a meeting by adding attendees and accessing their availability from the server
- The ability to use my device for large file movement
- The ability to group applications and customize the UI experience
- A good enough browser to do my timecard

Other features I would find downright compelling:
- Navigation software for free for use when I don't have a GPS and I am in a bind
- Augmented reality applications that assist me when I am in unfamiliar territory
- The ability to not carry a second device to have decent interoperability with my family

My Tour meets all of my basic needs and it does what it does pretty well. It is my fourth Blackberry device. I am hoping that OS 6 brings me even closer to the experience I want (versus need)
Old 07-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #133
Quincy

Model: 9550

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I actually think their hardware is pretty good. Its the OS that's behind and in need of work.
Indeed, lets hope that OS 6 solves this.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #134
David Haddad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 0000
Carrier: Sprint

I have not read every post in this thread but I have read enough to say that it represents the typical scenario of emotionally invested users who refuse to acknowledge reality and make silly arguments to deny that what is clearly happening is actually happening. Reminds me of when Apple was starting to get decimated by MS years ago and Apple users refused to acknowledge it, or angrily blamed it on "stupid consumers".

It's hardly conclusive evidence, but I've seen tons of my friends that have abandoned BB for iPhone and Android over the past few years. I'm a long time BB user and have no intention of jumping ship at the moment. But I would love to jump ship because I am tired of carrying around an antique in my pocket. I read about the release of the Torch 9800 today. Typical example - 480 x 360 screen. Is that their idea of a JOKE?! What are they smoking?

BB is in serious trouble if they can't start to bring out some cool phones. Their market share is going to continue to slip until it reaches the point where all of a sudden it will reach mass slippage. Tell yourself that it's a "business tool" til you are blue in the face but that's not going to stop it from happening.

The thing is, it's not like they even need to equal the iPhone features. They just need to bring out some feature rich smart phones with specs that can compete with the top phones. They should position themselves as the phone of the "power business user". Give me a cool touchscreen and a sleek looking phone and i won't give a rats ass if you have 1 mil applications or if I can play scrabble on my phone. But for God's sake, help me get this antique out of my pocket.

Re: push it's only a matter of time before some other companies catch up. There is also a point where some users will say "yes, push is very important to me, but I'm no longer willing to go without these 10 other features and a 3 year old touchscreen resolution to have it".

Last edited by David Haddad; 08-03-2010 at 07:04 PM..
Old 08-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #135
plumcrazy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

<< --- bailed on the storm2 about 3 weeks ago. the droidX is a great phone but the lack of copy/paste is annoying and syncing to outlook is near impossible to do (at least consistently) unless you have an exchange server, which i do thank god.

other than that droid > RIM in my opinion

typing, browser, screen & speed are my reasons
Old 08-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #136
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

There is copy/paste on Android devices. I use an EVO and can copy/paste just fine. I am not sure what MotoBlur is like or if it disables the feature or not. To do it, just long press on the screen where you want to begin copying a window will pop up and then release your finger. At that point you should see a green highlight over the word you long pressed. Drag your finger down to make the selection and then click the copy icon.

To paste, just long press in a text input field and select Paste when the window appears. It is pretty simple, actually.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 08-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #137
ubizmo

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile

I think RIM doesn't want to make a device that routinely needs to be charged before the day is over, and that's why they trad very carefully before adding a lot of processing horsepower, and especially before adding a lot of screen res. Those flashy big hi-res screens eat power like nothing else, and the BB is meant to be a dependable device above all. That means that, at a minimum, you should be able to make it from getting up in the morning to going to bed at night without charging. So I, for one, was pleased to see the screen res on the new 9800--if only T-mo would get them. I also don't see any real need to go to 5 megapixels, since the added megapixels are only relevant for printing photos, and who does that? 3.2 mp photos are plenty large enough to display on computer screens. The added MP just make the camera more of a battery drain. "Specs" aren't everything.

Ubizmo
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #138
David Haddad
Thumbs Must Hurt

An interesting article:

Half of All Blackberry Users Are Planning to Switch Over to iPhone or Android ~ Daily Autocad

I also read today that 4 out of 10 iPhone buyers are now businesses.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #139
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haddad View Post
An interesting article:
It's some smo making a statement. Who freakin cares. Anyone can start a blog and complain.

Last edited by devnull; 08-07-2010 at 07:47 AM..
Old 08-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #140
David Haddad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
It's some smo making a statement. Who freakin cares. Anyone can start a blog and complain.
Um no it's not "some smo making a statement on a blog", you obviously suffer from fanboi syndrome and just immediately rejected it because you don't want to believe it. The blog was reporting on a poll done by a research firm, that has been reported throughout the media.

Most BlackBerry owners want iPhone, Android - Technology & science - Wireless - msnbc.com

Here's another research firm (sorry, a "smo") reporting higher growth for Android and iPhone.

Android smart phone shipments grow 886% year-on-year in Q2 2010 (Canalys press release: r2010081)

I own a BB and have for probably 5 years now. Doesn't mean I'm going to stick my head in the sand and not see what is happening.
Closed Thread