BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
Dirky
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Default Bought an iPhone but it's going back!

Please Login to Remove!

I've had an 8700g for 18 months and my 8320 for over 1 year but for some bad, bad reason I recently bought an iPhone.
However i'm returning the damn thing! If you want to know why see my blog here
Mike Dentxxx8217;s xxx8216;ickle Home (thing)xxx8230;
Mike
Old 12-30-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

The iphone isn't for everyone.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:18 AM   #3
jbum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Speaking of the iphone... I saw this funny comparison someone did. It's hilarious.

I personally think the iphone has become the new SUV/iPod. SUVs were trendy and almost a fashion thing for a while. Everyone's mom, dad, friend had an SUV and proud of it. Well, I never liked them cuz they blocked my vision and most people couldn't drive big cars but they didn't care.

The iphone is a great fun toy. But it lacks the practical aspect of the blackberry. From the keyboard to copy/paste, things just work fast and well on the BB. I hate the touchscreen numbness and lag. Also, since the whole point of the touchscreen was to simplify things, it was hard to perform more advanced operations that I was so used to through menus on the BB.

Until, touchscreen can offer power users the advanced features with just as much as ease as the BB offers, I will not be convinced.

It's not to say the iphone is crap. On the contrary, it's fun. That's where it ends. I can only shake a phone using the thirdparty games/apps before I get bored.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphonevsstone.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	14549  
Old 12-31-2008, 06:13 AM   #4
Dirky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
The iphone isn't for everyone.
If I hadn't been a Blackberry user for so long before I got the iPhone I probably would have thought it was a great smartphone.
However I tried it for over a week as my only phone but I missed the ease of use and speed of my Blackberry.
I'l be upgrading to a Bold if all goes to plan.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #5
scooterinmn

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile

Silly wabbit! iPhones are for tweeners and folks that don't have the technical skills required to operate a BB or WM phone!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
UncleMike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: ch me, I must be dreaming
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirky View Post
If I hadn't been a Blackberry user for so long before I got the iPhone I probably would have thought it was a great smartphone.
However I tried it for over a week as my only phone but I missed the ease of use and speed of my Blackberry.
I'l be upgrading to a Bold if all goes to plan.
That's the secret to the success of the iPhone - many of its users are/were "smartphone virgins". Some of them probably had no personal need or want for it, other than wanting other people to know that they have one. Never having used a smartphone before, they have no basis for comparison, and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. For some of them it actually is the right device for them. For others it's not, but they just don't know any better.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
Dirky

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMike View Post
That's the secret to the success of the iPhone - many of its users are/were "smartphone virgins". Some of them probably had no personal need or want for it, other than wanting other people to know that they have one. Never having used a smartphone before, they have no basis for comparison, and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. For some of them it actually is the right device for them. For others it's not, but they just don't know any better.
Yeah, you are spot on there. I think the Apple logo an iPhone name is enough appeal for many. As you say they don't know any different.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterinmn View Post
Silly wabbit! iPhones are for tweeners and folks that don't have the technical skills required to operate a BB or WM phone!
So how many do you own?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
PIN: 21499CE8
Carrier: Verizon, T-Mobile

Good move, leave the toys for the teens.
I had an iPhone all of a sneeze before I got sick of the damn thing and gave it it's walking papers.

Kamau
Old 12-31-2008, 06:07 PM   #10
kevinwska

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMike View Post
That's apples whole basis of their business. People who have no idea how to really use a computer.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:33 PM   #11
Roo Zilla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterinmn View Post
I am middle aged. I have 6 computers in my house, 3 Windows, 2 Ubuntu, and 1 MacBook. I have been building my own computers for almost 20+ years, my Windows machines are overclocked at least 30% from stock, one of them uses a phase change cooling system. I got my first original IBM PC when I was 14, and grew up with the original PC-DOS. For the last 2 years I've had a BB and thought it was great. I have to admit, I've never had a WM device and therefore very limited experience with it. I think as technology and computers go, I'm above average although I'm sure there are plenty who are far ahead of me.

Given all that, I like my iPhone over every other mobile device currently on the market. Why should something have to require technical skill to operate? Computers (and gadgets) should be so easy to operate that anyone with any reasonable exposure to technology should be able to start using it immediately. Do people really want things to require MORE technical skill to operate? Do we want to go back to the days of CLIs? I don't understand why people knock on something for being easy to use. I mean honestly, are there people out there who really want things to be HARDER to use? Not everybody has the time or inclination to read a 100 page "insider's" guide on how to use something. To be honest, as I'm getting older, I've noticed that I'm getting lazier when it comes to trying to figure out stuff. I much prefer things to be easy. I much prefer my Tivo to my 10 year old VCR which I never did really figure out. I guess there are some out there who might prefer things the hard way, but I'm thinking that's a minority.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
Dirky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
I am middle aged. I have 6 computers in my house, 3 Windows, 2 Ubuntu, and 1 MacBook. I have been building my own computers for almost 20+ years, my Windows machines are overclocked at least 30% from stock, one of them uses a phase change cooling system. I got my first original IBM PC when I was 14, and grew up with the original PC-DOS. For the last 2 years I've had a BB and thought it was great. I have to admit, I've never had a WM device and therefore very limited experience with it. I think as technology and computers go, I'm above average although I'm sure there are plenty who are far ahead of me.

Given all that, I like my iPhone over every other mobile device currently on the market. Why should something have to require technical skill to operate? Computers (and gadgets) should be so easy to operate that anyone with any reasonable exposure to technology should be able to start using it immediately. Do people really want things to require MORE technical skill to operate? Do we want to go back to the days of CLIs? I don't understand why people knock on something for being easy to use. I mean honestly, are there people out there who really want things to be HARDER to use? Not everybody has the time or inclination to read a 100 page "insider's" guide on how to use something. To be honest, as I'm getting older, I've noticed that I'm getting lazier when it comes to trying to figure out stuff. I much prefer things to be easy. I much prefer my Tivo to my 10 year old VCR which I never did really figure out. I guess there are some out there who might prefer things the hard way, but I'm thinking that's a minority.
Valid points.

However I get annoyed when Apple release the 3g iPhone and tout it as being

"The best phone for business. Ever"
see Apple - iPhone - Enterprise

This is utter rubbish!

How can they make that claim for a phone which does not even have simple features like copy/paste, search, dial from calendar etc etc?

Yes it works with Activesync (partly) and you can get email pushed to it from Exhchange server but that's where any business features STOP.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #13
dualsub2006

Model: Droid
PIN: Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwska View Post
That's apples whole basis of their business. People who have no idea how to really use a computer.
Dumbest. Post. Ever.

Clearly, you have NO idea what you are talking about. You can hate on the iPhone all you want, but Mac users don't know how to really use a computer?

If using a Windows PC is what it means to "know how to use a computer" then count me the hell out. I will take one of my Mac or Linux workstations any day. And I many NOT know how to use a computer, but I'm good enough to feed my kids.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
longcall911

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon

My only issue with the iPhone is that it is so over-hyped that it has become a status symbol. I have nothing against Apple, in fact I like their products. But, the "I'm cool, you're not" marketing is repulsive to me.

It's the same reason I wouldn't own a Hummer, even if I had the money.

/*tom*/
Old 01-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #15
UncleMike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: ch me, I must be dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
...I mean honestly, are there people out there who really want things to be HARDER to use?...
There may be some, but I think there are quite a few out there willing to trade ease of use for features. As I said, there are a lot of people out there for whom the iPhone is the right device, based on features and ease of use. There are others however, who might find another device more to their liking, IF they were exposed to it. Then there are the people who have one just because it's the thing to have.

The same can be said for Blackberries too.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #16
cerige
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: ITC

Really funny post
Old 01-03-2009, 04:49 AM   #17
Wanchaiman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 5820
Carrier: hk
Default either or

I have them both and I like some qualities of each of them over the other.

The iphone has lots of really cool apps and the best phone browsing experience by far. The phone works but I dont like having to delve a layer or two to make a call. The sms part is nice and I like the balooning messages. Typing is okay on it. I also like the fact that it syncs seamlessly with Mac both via wired and cloud (mobileme) sync. Of course its also a great video and music player as well. I don't like the iPhone email and especially having to flip thru endless screens to access multiple email acounts.

And thats why I still stick to my Blackberry. The email is first class and the "all messages in one place" is wonderful. I also like being able to speed dial people. It doesnt sync very well with my mac and manipulating music / video is a pain. It works but is a pain.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:21 AM   #18
firstrebel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone UK

I have had a Pearl for over 2 years and it is great, so I got the Storm. Very frustrating at first, then I got the nack, or maybe I accepted 'change' and worked at it. However, there are a number of backward steps. On the Pearl you switch Bluetooth on/off with one click of the icon on the screen. On the Storm it is 3 clicks. There are a number of other such processes that were once quick and now take longer. Maybe a few more firmware upgrades will improve things.

We live in a world where new products are rushed out of the factories without adequate testing. Maybe manufacturers have to do this or lose footing in the market.

Bob
Old 01-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #19
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanchaiman View Post
I have them both and I like some qualities of each of them over the other.

The iphone has lots of really cool apps and the best phone browsing experience by far. The phone works but I dont like having to delve a layer or two to make a call. The sms part is nice and I like the balooning messages. Typing is okay on it. I also like the fact that it syncs seamlessly with Mac both via wired and cloud (mobileme) sync. Of course its also a great video and music player as well. I don't like the iPhone email and especially having to flip thru endless screens to access multiple email acounts.

And thats why I still stick to my Blackberry. The email is first class and the "all messages in one place" is wonderful. I also like being able to speed dial people. It doesnt sync very well with my mac and manipulating music / video is a pain. It works but is a pain.
I have both as well and I agree with your points. The one thing I hate about the iphone is the terrible battery life and the primitive power management options. I am always running low on power.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #20
kevinwska

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsub2006 View Post
Dumbest. Post. Ever.

Clearly, you have NO idea what you are talking about. You can hate on the iPhone all you want, but Mac users don't know how to really use a computer?

If using a Windows PC is what it means to "know how to use a computer" then count me the hell out. I will take one of my Mac or Linux workstations any day. And I many NOT know how to use a computer, but I'm good enough to feed my kids.
Wow way to get real upset about nothing dumbass. I really don't remember questioning your parenting skills either...
Its the truth get over it

Of course there are people who use Mac that are tech savy. But Apple is based on people who don't know how to really use their computer. They are not meant to be updated, repaired, tooled, or customized. For the most part you take it out of the box leave it as it is and keep going.

There is always exceptions to a rule but I'm speaking on a general basis.
Closed Thread