BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
10sevol

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon wireless
Default number lock and sheet to go (verizon and 8330)

Please Login to Remove!

I am new to the Blackberry.
When I use the Docs To Go spreadsheet "Sheet to Go," press the "ALT" and left "SHIFT" key to turn on the number lock, the number lock turns back off as soon as I enter the first number. I turn number lock back on the same way. this time it stays on until I press the trackball to enter the information in to the cell, then I have to repeat the process all over again every time I move to another cell.

Am I making some stupid mistake , or is there some software or hardware problem that everyone knows a workaround for except me?

Thanks for any information.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
UncleMike
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: ch me, I must be dreaming
Carrier: Verizon

I don't know the answer, but you're not alone. I have the same problem.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Same here, I usually go into the cell and then activate the num lock.. So avoid that issue.

Of course I installed 4.5.0.77, but I am not sure if the BB OS will have that much of an effect on DTG.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
10sevol

Default number lock and sheet to go (Verizon and 8330)

I was hoping I was the only one who didn't know the answer.

I emailed Data Viz 1/9/09 about the problem. I will report here when I get a reply.

The forum did help me this morning when my trackball would not go up. I wasn't ready to disassemble the trackball which was the first answer I found when I researched the question, but in the same thread someone suggested using a Q-Tip and alcohol or hand sanitizer which contains alcohol, and that worked. Thanks to the wise person who suggested that.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
10sevol

[QUOTE=SteveO86;1241981]Same here, I usually go into the cell and then activate the num lock.. So avoid that issue.

Can you clarify, please?

I think I understand; every time you change cells, you push the trackball twice so you are in the "edit cell" mode and then engage "num lock" which will work until you change cells?

Better than what I was doing but still clunky.

Last edited by 10sevol; 01-11-2009 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 01-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
10sevol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sevol View Post
I am new to the Blackberry.
When I use the Docs To Go spreadsheet "Sheet to Go," press the "ALT" and left "SHIFT" key to turn on the number lock, the number lock turns back off as soon as I enter the first number. I turn number lock back on the same way. this time it stays on until I press the trackball to enter the information in to the cell, then I have to repeat the process all over again every time I move to another cell.

Am I making some stupid mistake , or is there some software or hardware problem that everyone knows a workaround for except me?

Thanks for any information.

Update:
I emailed Data Viz about the problem 1/9/09 and still no response. Documents to Go will, of course, be the last thing I ever buy from them. On their website, they said they usually respond it one to two days. I feel really stupid giving those people $70 for something that was no improvement for me over the free program. Live and learn.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
PIN: Pulled - 1, 2, 3 run!
Carrier: AT&T

This post made me curious as well.

I did a quick search on Databiz' support sight and all it stated is exactly what 10sevol stated:

Document ID: 14189
Last Reviewed: 7/1/2008

Problem:

The NUM lock does not stay on in Sheet To Go when I try to type numbers.

Solution:

This is normal behavior on a BlackBerry smartphone. If you press the Alt key once, the NUM lock will turn itself off after entering one number. In order to keep the NUM lock turned on so you can enter multiple numbers, press and hold the Shift key and press the Alt key. The number lock mode symbol should apear in the upper-right corner of the screen, and will stay on until you turn it off (by pressing the Alt key again).

I know one of the genius workaround blackberry guru's on this site has a viable solution to this?

David

Twitter
Old 01-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
SteveO86

I see what you mean, I use spread sheets but not religously.. I must have accidently got in the habit of editing a cell and then enabling the num lock.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 PM   #9
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIOLATOR View Post
This post made me curious as well.

I did a quick search on Databiz' support sight and all it stated is exactly what 10sevol stated:

Problem:

Solution:

This is normal behavior on a BlackBerry smartphone. If you press the Alt key once, the NUM lock will turn itself off after entering one number. In order to keep the NUM lock turned on so you can enter multiple numbers, press and hold the Shift key and press the Alt key. The number lock mode symbol should apear in the upper-right corner of the screen, and will stay on until you turn it off (by pressing the Alt key again).

I know one of the genius workaround blackberry guru's on this site has a viable solution to this?

David
This is probably part of their problem. They think this works when it actually doesn't. As soon as either the track ball or enter key is pressed it turns off. Have to get back into edit cell mode all over again.

It must have worked on an earlier version.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:30 AM   #10
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

I have played with this thing for a while now - but without the "premium" version I have had no luck.

I know there has got to be a way to do this.

David

Twitter
Old 01-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #11
UncleMike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dataviz Support

Problem:

Correct.

Quote:

Solution:

This is normal behavior on a BlackBerry smartphone.
Incorrect - see next quote and response.

Quote:
If you press the Alt key once, the NUM lock will turn itself off after entering one number.
Incorrect. This is not NUM lock. This is alternate character entry.

Quote:
In order to keep the NUM lock turned on so you can enter multiple numbers, press and hold the Shift key and press the Alt key.
Incorrect. You must press (or hold) ALT and then press LEFT SHIFT. Following those directions accomplishes nothing.

Quote:
The number lock mode symbol should apear in the upper-right corner of the screen, and will stay on until you turn it off (by pressing the Alt key again).
Incorrect. It doesn't stay on - that's the problem.

The problem is clearly with their software, as NUM lock works as intended anywhere else I've tried it.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #12
10sevol

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMike View Post
Correct.

Incorrect - see next quote and response.

Incorrect. This is not NUM lock. This is alternate character entry.

Incorrect. You must press (or hold) ALT and then press LEFT SHIFT. Following those directions accomplishes nothing.

Incorrect. It doesn't stay on - that's the problem.

The problem is clearly with their software, as NUM lock works as intended anywhere else I've tried it.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far and tried to work out the problem; I didn't even pay you all $70 and you tried to help.

My Num Lock works everywhere else too.

Maybe I just don't understand Blackberries yet, but if a column is formatted for numbers, why do you even have turn on Num Lock. I use the program "Tasks" on my Blackberry every day, and when I enter a date or a time in the Due By Date or Reminder By Date slots, I don't have to hit Num Lock. The program knows that the characters in those slots are meant to be numbers. In the slot named "Notes," the default characters are letters, so If I include a telephone number or a date or numbers in an address, I have to turn on Num Lock--makes perfect sense.

So in a column that is formatted for date or a column formatted for American currency, why does one even have to tell the program that the characters in these columns are meant to be numbers? Numbers should be the default characters in these columns.

So far the people in Blackberry forums seem smarter and more willing to help than the people at Data Viz.

Thanks to every one.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
SteveO86

May want to email them your post, maybe they did break it and don't know it.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
10sevol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
May want to email them your post, maybe they did break it and don't know it.

I have actually emailed DV the address of this thread so they can follow it, but they haven't responded to that either. They seem totally disinterested in customer service. The only response I have had is the automated response when I first emailed them about the problem.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #15
SteveO86

Hmm, I hope they prove you wrong, DTG is great product but it has been proven for Customer service to ruin a product.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
UncleMike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Dataviz has been around for quite a while, but as I understand it, Blackberries are a relatively new platform for them, so there are bound to be bugs here and there. Knowing this though, you would think that they would not so readily dismiss a problem as user error.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #17
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

That is pretty discouraging. It has been a week since your problem was brought up and still no response.

That is the reason this problem interested me so much because I have been seriously considering purchasing the program. However I like to research things before I purchase.

Although the number lock issue may not seem like that big an issue, it is a major concern. I use excel a lot and almost exclusively when dealing with numbers strictly because of the formatting.

I will continue to keep an eye on this I really hope Dataviz provides a viable response to your inquiry.

I also hope someone comes up with a fix!

David

Twitter
Old 01-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #18
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sevol View Post
"
Maybe I just don't understand Blackberries yet, but if a column is formatted for numbers, why do you even have turn on Num Lock. I use the program "Tasks" on my Blackberry every day, and when I enter a date or a time in the Due By Date or Reminder By Date slots, I don't have to hit Num Lock. The program knows that the characters in those slots are meant to be numbers. "
This is a really good point. The default should be numbers. Before this thread I had just held down the alt key, but I'm just making minimal changes to an existing spreadsheet so it didn't bother me. I had considered buying Docs to Go, but it's such a pain to use that I never figured I'd use it enough to be worth the cost.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #19
JR1

Model: 9500
Default Numeric keypads

Speaking of Num...I'm an accountant, using spreadsheets a lot, and am I missing something....BB seems to believe that numeric keypads are the same as the phone keypad, which is upside down from a true numeric keypad. Is there a workaround or other add-on to 'fix' this until an actual engineer at BB compains?
Closed Thread