Helmdawg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: ned down...
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckykelleyk View Post
"roughly used" haha. Yeah, mine was "roughly used" too before I got a skin. its pretty, but its a slippery little thing. (not to mention that everytime it gets jostled the sim comes loose)... looking forward to my curve, gold or not!
I agree, I could give a rat a... what color it is, I will definatly be getting one!!
Old 09-06-2007, 07:20 PM   #162
MajSingh
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: 24b2b982
Carrier: ATT

Goatspike - here's my situation - I work in a dept in a hospital that is next to the radiology dept, because of this, our walls are heavily sheilded to prevent radiation from getting in. It therefore, also blocks out all cellular signals. We do have full WIFI inside there though. Can u confirn that if/when the cellular service is off and you are only working off of WIFI, are u able to get ure emails pushed to the BB like normal or will the WIFI only be used for browsing and H@H service?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #163
AlexKidd

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajSingh View Post
Goatspike - here's my situation - I work in a dept in a hospital that is next to the radiology dept, because of this, our walls are heavily sheilded to prevent radiation from getting in. It therefore, also blocks out all cellular signals. We do have full WIFI inside there though. Can u confirn that if/when the cellular service is off and you are only working off of WIFI, are u able to get ure emails pushed to the BB like normal or will the WIFI only be used for browsing and H@H service?
MajSingh - I believe it will have to. The idea/concept behind H@H is to be a complete hand-off from cellular to WiFi so that people can use their phone places where they don't get good reception at all. If only placing a phone call and browsing web pages worked on WiFi then that would pretty much mean that BB e-mail would be useless during that time period.

Even further than that, they say in order to utilize the WiFi option, you MUST have the Blackberry Data plan due to the fact that it shuts off the cellular radio to preserve battery life. I think your pretty safe assuming that all BB functionality will work perfectly over WiFi if that is the case!

--Kidd
Old 09-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #164
MajSingh

Good reasoning. I'm really hoping that's the way it turns out, it would be very dissappointing to know i wanted for this long for no reason. This WIFI function is my driving force for this BB over everything else. 18 days and counting....
Old 09-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #165
MajSingh

This website is selling OEM replacement faceplates for the 8320 already...

Here's a good pic of the color for all u "color-concerned"

BlackBerry 8320 Curve OEM gold faceplate w/ lens
Old 09-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #166
jay84virgo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeylamb View Post
Thanks for the pics Goldspike.
"Goldspike?" Ha! Clever.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:19 PM   #167
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Good reasoning. I'm really hoping that's the way it turns out, it would be very dissappointing to know i wanted for this long for no reason. This WIFI function is my driving force for this BB over everything else. 18 days and counting....
This is exactly what T-Mobile says about the service on their website. Essentially, you'll have all the same services, but your phone will simply be connecting via a WiFi router instead of a GPRS tower.

According to their documentation, if you use the WiFi router that they provide (either a tweaked DLink or Linksys), it will provide priority (via QoS setting I'm guessing?) for the phone signal over other signals, and will provide enough of a boost so that the phone battery will drain more slowly. If you're using UMA with the phone in a public hotspot (e.g., the hospital WiFi WLAN), it should work, but you may wind up draining the battery faster. I'm sure we'll learn a lot more about this once the device is finally on the market.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:27 PM   #168
goatspike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Default Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay84virgo View Post
"Goldspike?" Ha! Clever.
Maybe I should change my name
Old 09-06-2007, 10:40 PM   #169
StanSimmons
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
The @Home service simply encapsulates a normal GSM/GPRS packet into an ethernet packet over wifi. All normal phone functions will work over the @Home connection.

@Home works over TMO HotSpots (StarBucks, etc), @Home routers, open wifi, and WEP/WPA networks where you know the key/passphrase.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #170
MajSingh

wonderful, very glad to know. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:13 AM   #171
reeevibin

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile
Default Release date??

So when is the actual release date for the curve with t-mobile??
Old 09-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #172
kcmo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeevibin View Post
So when is the actual release date for the curve with t-mobile??
9/24 as far as I know!
Old 09-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #173
goatspike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
9/24 as far as I know!
Monday the 24th. Even if you don't like the color it is a nice device.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #174
Soul Rebel

Model: 8100

So is the non-contract price still ~$450? If so, I may wait a little while until the price drops.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:10 PM   #175
tdawg00

PIN: 24aa7bfa
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Rebel View Post
So is the non-contract price still ~$450? If so, I may wait a little while until the price drops.

Tmobile was selling the cameraless 8800 for 549.99 without a contract. Which still till this day dont understand.. If its over 500. Then its a no go for me.

Last edited by tdawg00; 09-08-2007 at 07:12 PM..
Old 09-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #176
PCgirl

Model: iP 4S
Carrier: AT&T
Thumbs up THANKS everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpritch View Post
Sigh. Obviously I wasn't the only one with "wrong" information. Saw the material given to reps by the Blackberry rep with my very own eyes, still using the free Blackberry pen :( Not my fault Blackberry and T-Mobile changed their release plan twice. Please note in my post I said "expect to release" which they did expect. So flame me all you like. As far as 3G, also expected to have that up and running, which is common knowledge. As the other guy in that thread said, it's an FCC issue. They also didn't plan on major issues with the 8800, but alas, it's no longer available (at least not in the upgrade program, you need to have a new 2 year contract to get it). As we all know, things change. The information I gave was right at the time. Love to prove it, but obviously can't.

I'm right about the Curve's release date of the 24th, as the original poster, BG and several sites have also confirmed. So "LOL" all you want. I asked a question, valid I thought. Seriously, let's stop jumping all over people, eh? I wasn't rude or nasty once, yet look at the flack I'VE gotten. For asking a question and correcting misinformation. Seriously makes me consider never posting another sentence again. I can get yelled at anywhere, I don't need to log onto the computer to do it :/
T-Mobile has the best service (reception and customer) of all the carriers we've used (and we have used every one available in our area and were disappointed with their service and reception) and we have been very happy with T-Mo (especially since we travel a lot around the US and have had very good reception everywhere).

We have been very happy with our Pearls too except for the SureType vs Qwerty keyboard along with the minor issues that are resolved with the CURVE so I will be getting my new CURVE on the 24th no matter what color it is although I would really really PREFER it in titanium or black .

I wanted to say THANKS to goatspike for the info and photos. And I wanted to say THANKS to bpritch as well for sharing the info she received from her husband who works at T-Mo. And THANKS to the mods for keeping order and providing direction and to everyone else who has shared info on this board.

Earlier this year, I was told by my friendly T-Mo store that the Curve "might" come out around July but they weren't sure because it wasn't official. Well, I didn't post anything here because it was an unofficial guesstimate, but they did know that it was coming out sometime in the summer. Then, they told me that T-Mo was trying to release it in August (just as bpritch said) but were finalizing the H@H feature so it wasn't 100%.

Well, now they have been "officially" authorized to release info that the Curve is going to be available on the 24th. My point is (and bpritch's) that this forum is a place for us to learn how to use our blackberries to their fullest potential and do our part to post comments and questions and especially to share info that we truly believe to be correct and useful to others. Also, we all know that info shared on this board is *subject to change* and should be used *at one's own risk and discretion* and people shouldn't be flamed for sharing and honestly trying to help out.

That being said, I for one have received information that I could not have gotten anywhere else (T-Mo CSR's included) such as step-by-step blackberry as modem how-to's (a lifesaver, BTW), access to OTA themes and software, how to take my Pearl out of case that seemed to be sealed shut, color trackball, where to get a Krusell case, etc., and I just wanted to say how grateful I am to have such a great resource and invaluable tool as the blackberry forums.

THANKS EVERYONE.

Last edited by PCgirl; 09-11-2007 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #177
doppeljr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMobile

I have a good friend who is a T-Mobile BB Rep.

He has confirmed that they are being released on 9/24.

The 8320 will come in gold or platinum.

It will have HS@H for data and voice.

It will be able to connect to the RIM relay over wifi and a BES over a corporate wireless LAN.

You will be able to tether it and provide connectivity to your laptop as previous BBs allowed.

MyFaves will be supported

It will come preloaded with IM clients for all of the IM services, including Google Talk. They will all utilize data instead of sms.

Battery life has been impressive, even with wifi turned on all of the time.

No pricing info yet.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #178
theBorg
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 83/81
PIN: TO
Carrier: AT&T 8310, 8100, 7100

From a customer support email:

Release date 9/24/07

Here are the Key Features of the BlackBerry Curve:
xxx8226; Wi-Fi and Mobile Calling
xxx8226; High Speed Internet
xxx8226; Personal and Work E-mail
xxx8226; myFaves
xxx8226; BlackBerry Enterprise Server and BlackBerry Internet Email
xxx8226; Wi-Fi/GPRS/EDGE data connectivity
xxx8226; 2 MP camera with flash
xxx8226; Voice activated dialing
xxx8226; Bluetooth
xxx8226; Speakerphone
xxx8226; Address book
xxx8226; Calendar
xxx8226; Sync with PC
xxx8226; Instant messaging
xxx8226; Picture messaging
xxx8226; Text messaging
xxx8226; Web browsing
xxx8226; Full QWERTY keyboard
xxx8226; Trackball for 4-way navigation
xxx8226; Micro SD expandable memory slot
xxx8226; Multimedia player
Old 09-12-2007, 02:01 AM   #179
hrtlss22
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppeljr View Post

It will come preloaded with IM clients for all of the IM services, including Google Talk. They will all utilize data instead of sms.
RIM's IM clients AIM and MSN as well ...?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:33 AM   #180
PCgirl

Model: iP 4S
Carrier: AT&T
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppeljr View Post
I have a good friend who is a T-Mobile BB Rep.

He has confirmed that they are being released on 9/24.

The 8320 will come in gold or platinum.

It will have HS@H for data and voice.

It will be able to connect to the RIM relay over wifi and a BES over a corporate wireless LAN.

You will be able to tether it and provide connectivity to your laptop as previous BBs allowed.

MyFaves will be supported

Battery life has been impressive, even with wifi turned on all of the time.

No pricing info yet.
PLATINUM!!! That would make me do the happy dance!!!!! Thanks for sharing.
I wish it was the 24th already!!!