BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 10:09 PM   #1
glentraff

Model: 9000
Carrier: Telstra
Default Content protection on Outlook Calendar Items

Please Login to Remove!

In Outlook some calendar entries are marked as "Content Protection is enabled" and will not display any information about the appointment. The appointments were re-occuring ones. On the Blackberry the appointments look fine, can see all the details.

This is happening to 2 users (completely seperate appointments).

The handheld is a 7730 in both cases connected to a BES Server 4.0 with the latest updates.

Has anyone else seen this or have any ideas.

Thanks

Glen
Old 10-12-2005, 10:36 PM   #2
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Then turn content protection off. Wrench > Security

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:33 PM   #3
glentraff

Unfortunately, turning content protection off is not an option. We have to follow strict security requirements to allow BlackBerry's on the network.

Glen
Old 10-12-2005, 11:38 PM   #4
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF

All phones on the same OS revision?

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:07 AM   #5
glentraff

It has happenened on 2x7730, one on version 4.0.0.177 and the other on 4.0.0.188. The Bes server is running version 4.0.2.3.

It only changed a couple of appointments, other appointments in the calendar are fine. Other users going to the same meeting with the same model of blackberry handheld did not have the issue.

The issue has happened 4 seperate times now. So it is reoccuring for these 2 users, but have no idea what is triggering it.

Thanks

Glen
Old 10-16-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Try turning off content protection, pull the battery for 10 seconds, when the device comes back up, turn content protection back on. See if that syncs things fine.

Zro
Old 11-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #7
justinmoulden

Model: 9999
Default Me too...

We've been having the same problem since we forced Content Protection to "on" from our BES servers. Our Content Protection strength is set to "0" (lowest.) As with your entries, this only occurs with recurring items and only with some users. Any time the user makes a modification to one of these items, it changes the entire series. We've been fighting this issue for two months now and RIM's support has been no help on the issue at all. We've made the decision to allow users to "opt out" of Content Protection from thier handhelds, and have done so on the affected users' handhelds.

I just (literally just now) got off the phone with a user who was one of our initial complainers of this issue. We disabled Content Protection on his handheld a couple of weeks ago, and the problem cleared up. He had some unrelated issues earlier this morning, and his device was Enterprise Activated again, turning the Content Protection back on. At around 2:00 today, the issue came back, and we had to go through the process of disabling Content Protection again.

We had to fight a huge battle internally to get our security team to allow the disabling of Content Protection, and were reluctant to do so. It seems that the technology is inherently flawed and the vendor (RIM) is not in a good position to support it.

I know none of this helps you much in your position of being unable to disable the feature, but thought I'd let you know that we had the same problem. If you think it will help, I'll give you our case number with RIM for reference, provided you have a t-support contract and have engaged them. My email address is the same as my screen name here, at gmaildotcom.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:03 PM   #8
Snyder81
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

We are seeing the same problem here. Search for "Address Updated Externally" and you'll see more issues related to Content Protection. I'm opening a case with RIM, but based on the feedback we've seen so far I'm not holding out much hope.

This is the conclusion that one TSupport staffer came to, but it's not an "official" RIM explanation so take it with a grain of salt until they publish something.

"If content protection is enabled and the organizer of a recurring meeting deletes one occurrence of the meeting and sends a cancellation message, the text fields in the remaining occurrences of the meeting are replaced with <Content Protection is enabled>."
Old 11-15-2005, 11:31 AM   #9
pej
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Default A response from RIM support

We sent in a Support case on this issue (re: BES 4.0sp3 for Notes) and got a reply in less than a ten minutes:

This issue which you are having is a known issue here. At the current moment there is no work around. The only work around which is available is to turn off "Content Protection". I am sorry for the inconvenience; this issue will be fixed in the next upgrade of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:10 PM   #10
Snyder81
Thumbs Must Hurt

So is this problem fixed by handheld version 4.1 or does it also require a server upgrade to 4.1 which hasn't been released yet?

We continue to have staff experiencing this issue with modified recurring meetings.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #11
Snyder81
Thumbs Must Hurt

RIM's TSupport indicated that this particular issue has been resolved in the 4.0.2.49 handheld software.

However, the problem with "Address Updated Externally" due to Content Protection has still not been resolved.
Closed Thread