vZwire
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: Blue, Ball point
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Knock off the flaming. I will close this thread in a heartbeat if it gets out of hand. Let's be adults here, please.

Better???
Old 12-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #22
webmonarch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I am a bit surprised at how political this board gets. A lawsuit isn't a political statement. It's just a dispute that can't be resolved without application of law. As moderators have mentioned, its really about the facts of the suit, as opposed to "trial lawyers," "free markets" or anything else.

Finally, to be clear, the links above are to my firm's site, where I blog and offer my opinion about the suit. My firm is not involved in the suit in any way.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #23
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonarch View Post
I am a bit surprised at how political this board gets. .
where does it get political? since political discussions are banned
Old 12-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #24
vZwire
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: Blue, Ball point

Not only is it not political....but this thread deserves to be moved to the "RIM stock/ Legal discussion" section of the forums...
Old 12-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #25
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Agreed.

Moved accordingly.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #26
kdog1176
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
The salesdroid who sold me mine said it did. I specifically asked. I'm willing to bet this wasn't a rogue salesperson making up these lies.
It was really only a matter of time before legal action was pursued. I'm sure they can find plenty of verizon customers who experienced the same thing. Let's see how it plays out.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #27
webmonarch

Again, to clarify. The suit does not name or involve RIM in anyway. Verizon is the only Defendant.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:44 PM   #28
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

webmonarch,
As the only lawyer in the bunch (at the least the only one that admits it) do you think the case has legal merit?

As you said that you have no legal interest in the trial I figure it would be fair to ask.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #29
Nextel User
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220

i bought the 7130e's because on the box it said gps enabled.... i didnt know at the time that it was disabled
Old 12-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #30
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextel User View Post
i bought the 7130e's because on the box it said gps enabled.... i didnt know at the time that it was disabled
and it is gps enabled. You just cant use the GPS the way you want to.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:42 PM   #31
dagr8tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog1176 View Post
It was really only a matter of time before legal action was pursued. I'm sure they can find plenty of verizon customers who experienced the same thing. Let's see how it plays out.
I agree. Since being deceived regarding GPS on my bb, I've gotten a USB GPS puck for my laptop & a handheld GPS. GPS on my bb is not really needed for me.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #32
scottjb
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8530

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
I agree. Since being deceived regarding GPS on my bb...
Sounds like you have a legitimate beef -- perhaps not class action against VZW, but definitely against the store you bought it from. Don't know what they can/should do other than offer to refund your money.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:50 PM   #33
dagr8tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjb View Post
Sounds like you have a legitimate beef -- perhaps not class action against VZW, but definitely against the store you bought it from. Don't know what they can/should do other than offer to refund your money.
I've done what I need to do, and fulfilled my need for GPS. As a VZW customer that actually is affected by this, I see it ending 1 of 2 ways.

Either VZW loses and after all the lawyers get their cut, customers get a check for like $3. Or VZW will settle, and VZW customers will get like 2 months of navagator free.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #34
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Their intentions for VZ Navigator are good-hearted. They want to provide a secure GPS system on a wireless device that will not give someone other than yourself your coordinates on request. With that said, they are supposedly in discussions with companies such as Google and TeleNav to offer a product that will utilize the Google or TeleNav interface and maps but securely through the VZ Navigator transport.

...in the end, they should offer customers both the free, built-in GPS functionality and a pay-for service offering for the security and paranoid customers that would be weary otherwise.

Verizon's main issue wasn't that they didn't specify the devices were released with the GPS functionality disabled. They simply didn't mention publically why they disabled the standard functionality and it was long-since rumored on the internet for other purposes. I believe it was more about money, but if they tell the story about 'security concerns' then perhaps others would be more interested in that approach and agree with it (and pay for the premium GPS service).

Needless to say, I wish someone would hack the VZ Navigator transport and just make a mockery out of their security.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:45 PM   #35
webmonarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
webmonarch,
As the only lawyer in the bunch (at the least the only one that admits it) do you think the case has legal merit?

As you said that you have no legal interest in the trial I figure it would be fair to ask.
Sorry for late response. Yes, the original link is to a blog post that I authored. I think that the suit does have legal merit. Is it going to lead to millions of dollars in damages? No. But, like most class-actions, it will likely change what is considered "best practices" in an industry. Other wireless providers don't want to get sued, so they'll take note of how this plays out.

Last edited by webmonarch; 12-15-2007 at 07:50 PM..
Old 12-16-2007, 01:18 PM   #36
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonarch View Post
Sorry for late response. Yes, the original link is to a blog post that I authored. I think that the suit does have legal merit. Is it going to lead to millions of dollars in damages? No. But, like most class-actions, it will likely change what is considered "best practices" in an industry. Other wireless providers don't want to get sued, so they'll take note of how this plays out.
Thank you.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:16 PM   #37
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
and it is gps enabled. You just cant use the GPS the way you want to.
Agreed, My Curve box says may things it does that I have to pay extra for. MyFaves, Instant Messaging, Picture Messaging, Text Messaging, EDGE / GPRS. We wonder why our legal system is so slow.

You don't like a product, return it. If every Verizon customer "effected" by this issue just returned the product in the 30 day window Verizon may step back and say wow what have we done. It is a new toy, so I am sure GPS was one of the first functions tried out of the box.

As with most "Class Action" cases there is only one winner. The attorneys on both sides. The Verizon customers who join the action will probably settle for $13.00 each after legal fees and lets not forget Verizon has to recoup the money they spend defending the action. I wonder if they will have to pass that along to their customers over time by increasing fees or cutbacks.

Don't get me wrong, I believe many things need to go forward in a legal means but somethings can be resolved with a simple return of the product which hurts them a lot more.

I have kicked my soap box to the side.

Last edited by TroyDBrown; 12-16-2007 at 11:18 PM..
Old 01-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #38
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Agree with Troy. As a consumer, I find I am happiest if I "vote with my feet" by returning a product that doesn't satisfy me. That frees me up to go find one that will meet my needs. I am the only one to do so, I still have the satisfaction of getting what I want eventually. If I am one of thousands to do so, somebody is going to notice and take appropriate action.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #39
RobM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 240721B8
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

I just cant understand why companies pull crap like this...It just never made sense to me...they had to know that they were going to piss off clients
Old 02-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #40
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobM View Post
I just cant understand why companies pull crap like this...It just never made sense to me...they had to know that they were going to piss off clients
Most people have no idea this even happens. You and I and most of the people here are people that want the most. The average person just wants a phone that works. So that is why it happens.
Closed Thread