Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
slickca21
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers
Default Storm on Company BES

Please Login to Remove!

So how many of you admins out there will allow the storm on your company BES? I'm sure many of the bigger corps out there will never see the Storm hit their BES.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
TreyS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Why? I can see us using it just like any other BBerry.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
soupandsandwich

I'll allow them. Why should the Storm be treated any differently than any other BlackBerry?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
jrsmooth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickca21 View Post
So how many of you admins out there will allow the storm on your company BES? I'm sure many of the bigger corps out there will never see the Storm hit their BES.
This is the most ignorant post of the day. Just because it looks fancy and iPhone-ish, does not mean the BES Admins going to view it differently. For me, I would not buy this for my 15,000+ organization unless the price is comparable with the 8830 ($30 for us), but how likely is that going to happen? At least not now.

Other than the price, it is just another BB.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
Joe1004
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
PIN: t of ale anyone?
Carrier: VZW

I agree. I have no issues at all allowing the Storm on our BES.

Interesting thing is, none of my users are clamoring for it. They want to see it and use it a little first. I have people who are either die hard Curve fans (me and others) or die hard Pearl fans. They are very attached to a "real" keyboard and that will be the #1 thing that affects their desire to upgrade.

As for price, if the department has the $ in their budget available and their administrator approves the expense, we would allow the upgrade.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
Mark_Venture

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile (w) - Verizon (P)

My organization will, but only after the BES admin gets one in, makes sure if we need newer desktop manager/drivers or not, are there any new features that violate company security policies (new BES IT Policy settings needed??), etc.

-> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all
Old 11-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
dpeters11

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I'll certainly allow it. I definately can see why some companies wouldn't, if they provide the hardware. After all, a lot of the features aren't necessarily ones that companies need. If a 8x30 model does everything they need, why buy Storms? But when the user buys it, I see no reason to not allow it, though it would be useful for the Admin to have one. Simulators help, but only go so far.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

We don't allow any BlackBerrys on our BES.

Just kidding.

Of course the Storm is welcome on our many BES, and people ARE inquiring about it.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
hcheun

Carrier: AT&T

We're about to ramp up a testing phase to plan a deployment for the Storm to our users, when we get our test units in, when available. But yes, I do agree, we're not treating this BlackBerry differently, we'll support and add it to our BES , no questions. Alot of our users are actually excited to get this in!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
dynot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: rogers

So if I understand this correctly, my company's BES administrator has to do something on his end, be it a software upgrade or specifically authorize Storm models on the BES.

In other words, I cannot just turn it on, request whatever service books, and make whatever settings changes on my handheld. Is this right?

If so, I guess it would be wise for me to check with them before I buy the Storm since the push-email is a major desired feature.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #11
soupandsandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynot View Post
So if I understand this correctly, my company's BES administrator has to do something on his end, be it a software upgrade or specifically authorize Storm models on the BES.

In other words, I cannot just turn it on, request whatever service books, and make whatever settings changes on my handheld. Is this right?

If so, I guess it would be wise for me to check with them before I buy the Storm since the push-email is a major desired feature.
It depends on how your BES is set up.
Certain devices can be restricted from activating on the BES if the BES is utilizing the Enterprise Service Policy.
By default, ESP is not enabled, but you should check with your BES admins first.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:26 AM   #12
SEP
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: -

depends on how mean you want to be. Our provider is not vodaphone so we won't be getting them. Some users some of them real asses have their own accounts so have requested it be put on. I could say your an ass be nice to me and i'll put it on. Then again why should they be allowed to have something fun when we are all have to have boring ones.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:03 AM   #13
soupandsandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEP View Post
depends on how mean you want to be. Our provider is not vodaphone so we won't be getting them. Some users some of them real asses have their own accounts so have requested it be put on. I could say your an ass be nice to me and i'll put it on. Then again why should they be allowed to have something fun when we are all have to have boring ones.
Brilliant.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
WickedBez
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
We don't allow any BlackBerrys on our BES.

Just kidding.

Of course the Storm is welcome on our many BES, and people ARE inquiring about it.
I literally laughed out loud. Good thing I wasn't drinkin while reading that.

ps The storm is so going to be the Blackberry flagship handheld. Finally there is a reason for business users to be pumped about a new handheld (that I can policy the crap out of and remote wipe). I see no downside.

Chris
BES Admin
Old 11-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
LarryHMA
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBez View Post
(that I can policy the crap out of and remote wipe). I see no downside.

Chris
BES Admin
muhahahahahahhaha (evil grin)
Old 11-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #16
BB1877
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930

After testing, we'll allow them, but like all BlackBerry units, IT will support:

Mail sync
Calendar sync
To-Do sync
Memopad sync
Address Book Sync & Lookup
Mobile Browser
Tethered modem
Phone and roaming

That's it. All the other features...sorry--read the manual...go through the tutorials...you're on your own to figure out. I wish Verizon had a "business" version of the Storm without apps like Facebook preloaded.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #17
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1877 View Post
After testing, we'll allow them, but like all BlackBerry units, IT will support:

Mail sync
Calendar sync
To-Do sync
Memopad sync
Address Book Sync & Lookup
Mobile Browser
Tethered modem
Phone and roaming

That's it. All the other features...sorry--read the manual...go through the tutorials...you're on your own to figure out. I wish Verizon had a "business" version of the Storm without apps like Facebook preloaded.
A little drunk with power maybe?
Old 11-15-2008, 09:15 PM   #18
soupandsandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus View Post
A little drunk with power maybe?
Why would you say something like that?
The features described above are business related, and should be supported by the IT department.
How many companies do you think have IT departments who are tasked with helping end users getting their MP3 collection working on their handhelds?
The IT department that I run has the responsibility of making sure that the end users can do their jobs. We're not paid to help Joe User watch youtube videos or update their Facebook status.

Last edited by soupandsandwich; 11-15-2008 at 09:16 PM..

Old 11-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #19
gmsmith
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupandsandwich View Post
Why would you say something like that?
The features described above are business related, and should be supported by the IT department.
How many companies do you think have IT departments who are tasked with helping end users getting their MP3 collection working on their handhelds?
The IT department that I run has the responsibility of making sure that the end users can do their jobs. We're not paid to help Joe User watch youtube videos or update their Facebook status.
I think you might be surprised how many IT departments do exactly that. I agree however with you. My department doesn't have the time to go chasing down your latest iTunes purchases. But what I have done (not to get too far off topic) in past orgs is have a "Tech Lunch" where someone (or some group) of IT staff will be in a conference to eat lunch and have open session about random tech questions (sometimes schedule a topic of the day), work related or not. This goes to help overall satisfaction ratings for the departments and helps people understand technology better, thus driving customer complaints down and opening people up to get to know each other, which reduces the number of complaints that got to my office.

To answer the original question, hell yeah the Storm will be on our BES server and the first one will be mine *hopefully Monday*.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:16 AM   #20
SEP
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: -

if its on a corporate server then it should treated as company property we should only support what is business use. The problem with these devices is that you have too much freedom in what is installed but we all know it will come back to us and will be expected to be fixed. Should there be a query in security if attached to the corporate network? should policies be applied to block various usage?
Closed Thread