Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
sleibow

Model: curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: SPRINT
Default Fully Loaded 16g card Slows the system

Please Login to Remove!

I have serch endlessly for answers but to no avail. After getting around to filling up my 16g (14.2g) sd card with the more audio albums, I noticed a very curious thing, my 8330 curve slowed to a crawl. It would take numerous rolls of the trackball to get any response and then it went past the intended target! Went back and deleted some marginal albums and got the card down to 9.9g and things are normal !!!

Anuone have any ideas??

OS ver 4.5.0.131
Old 06-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Do you have encryption turned on for your Media Card?

Any other Apps running apps in the background?

What's your file free?

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
kf0s
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Is this right after a battery pull or disconnecting from the USB? At this point the OS scans the memory card. If you open up the media player it'll say scanning. After a few minutes, it will be done and things should be back to normal.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

If it is still very slow, you might also investigate erasing the various BBthumbnail.dat files created in the music, video and photo folders - they are a particular problem when you update or change the OS. Those files are some form of index file to the various items in those folders - and yup, scanning does take its time and the more gigs, the more time.

I also wonder (call it speculation) that while the BB does create those BBthumb files, it may also use a bit of its inboard memory on keeping track of media files so more files might be less memory - but that is my speculation and no where near confirmed.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:32 AM   #5
jimroe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleibow View Post
Anuone have any ideas??
I've noticed something similar on my 8900, and your observation makes me thing it MAY be related to the media card - or in my case more specifically related to overwriting an existing file with a new version (I re-recorded a song and wanted to put the new version on the SD card). I had to do a QuickPull reboot to get smooth trackball motion back.

Next time I have to do this I'm going to try pulling the media card, putting it in a reader, and deleting all the BBthumbnail.dat files - forcing the device to re-index the files. I know this takes some time when you first insert the card but these files are a bit funky as I have found in the past and may be related to this poor response time.

I have an 8G Sandisk card but it's no where near fully - more like about 1G used.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
sleibow

Model: curve
Carrier: SPRINT
Default Thank you All

Thanks for the quick response;
Encryption is OFF
Nothing of significance running in the background
File Free is 22M

All of this followed my taking my sd card to FULL capacity, that is the ONLY change I made. I removed the sd card all together and immediately noticed the improvement, so as I stated in my original post deleted some albums and am now down to 9.9m of Music files with 4.1m free on the card and things are normal again. I am going to add albums one at a time and see at what point I get the slow down if at all, will advise.

Thanks again for the help
Closed Thread