Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
ymc226
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default Need a Word/file management App

Please Login to Remove!

I keep Word Document files of my patients on a USB pocket drive so I can look up info when they get admitted to the hospital on the hospital computer but now that I am getting the Storm 2, I would like to keep these files on the BB.

I know there are programs to open Word documents like Documents to Go but is there a file manager program that could let me easily scroll through the document list, say about 500 Word files, so I can access them easily?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
TTsoldier
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2168B71A
Carrier: bmobile

BB file scout. And it's free ;)
Old 01-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
michaelalanjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: T of Ale, Please!
Carrier: AT&T

I would recommend having a folder named: "Patient Files", and then do a subfolder for each patient, named: "LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME", so they would sort by last name.

\\SD CARD\Patients
\Smith, Bob
\Jones, John
Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Although it's expensive ($60 - Ouch! ), take a look at REXwireless' Idea Matrix. It's designed to manage files and documents. If you create a folder for each patient you can import emails about that patient directly into that patient's folder. All correspondence, data, notes, etc., can be stored in one spot for easy reference. Highly customizable, online backup available, and a 14-day trial.

I love REX's stuff. It's expensive, but it's all professional-grade. I rely on Idea Matrix and ToDo Matrix.

The downside of Idea Matrix is that it stores all your files in device memory. No option (yet) to use the media card for storage. I'm told it's a security thing, but having the option would be nice. Maybe in a future version. Simple text files don't take up much room, and the new generation of BlackBerrys have more internal storage, but with 500 patients/folders and several documents in each folder you could be talking about several MB of data.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
ymc226
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I don't think I need to create a folder for each patient. All the data for each patient is on a separate Word document. So a list of 500+ documents is what I would have on the memory card. I would like a program that I could just type in the name and a list of documents with that name would appear from which I could pick the one I need.

Would Scout and REX Idea Matrix or any other program work in this situation?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Should be able to read Word docs using DocsToGo which is included with OS 4.5. There is also eOffice, but its about $100.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

For using the memory card as storage REXwireless won't work. It is very searchable, however. Opening the searched-for folder would reveal a list of documents in that folder.

You might want to try File Scout first (download it in App World) as it's only $5 for the fully licensed version and has a free trial. If you decide you need something more powerful you can always try Idea Matrix by REXwireless.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Wirelessly posted

I think eoffice dropped their price to 30 bucks nowaday.

Also DocsToGo has a files program to browse your files but you can search to my knowledge also OS 5.0 has a native file exploere you might want to look at it but I haven't used that too much.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Moved to Aftermarket Software

If you are storing PHI, protected heath information, on any device, I hope you are using encryption. And using a password on the BlackBerry itself. Othewise it is a huge HIPAA violation and you could be subject to big fines. I wouldn't store that info on Rexwireless' servers either.

Last edited by daphne; 01-29-2010 at 11:06 PM..
Old 01-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Excellent point Daphne; on-device encryption is absolutely crucial under those circumstances. And even as a user of Rex products there are certain things that never get up on the cloud.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830

Intellilaunch can search for files. Altho, I believe it suggests searching larger folders could be slower.

And, yes, Filescout can search using wildcard so that I just searched for my version of the US Constitution (const.doc) and in Filescout, aimed at sd card, Menu, Search, "con*" and it located it and by selecting it, word-to-go launched the file.
Closed Thread