Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
aaliyah'sfather

Model: 8700v
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Question Users with multiple email addresses

Please Login to Remove!

Just got a call from one of our support guys and since I cant test this right now I thought someone here would be able answer it..

Background:

BES 4.0 on Exchange 2003.

Users have the following email addresses:

@dept1.com
@dept2.com

Besadmin only has @dept1.com email address.

Activating users who have their primary address set to @dept1.com has not been an issue.

Problem:

activating a user with @dept2.com primary address failed. etp email never reached the users mailbox.

Question 1: Since the users are in the same Exchange organisation, this should not be an issue should it?

Question 2: When the SRP key is registered, is it registered against the IP address of the BES server or the email domain or both?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2008, 03:32 AM   #2
mattlane
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: 02

question 1 correct this should not be an issue as its in the same organisation. As long as the bes admin account as sendas permissions to the users mailbox should not have anyt issues.

question 2 the SRPKEY, not sure what you are trying to ask. THE SRPKEY is set when you install the BES Server software and licence. its not registered to the email address or ip address. its a unique to your installation of BES which lets your devices talk to your bes server. (you cannot use the same key on a different installation).
Old 04-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
aaliyah'sfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlane View Post
question 1 correct this should not be an issue as its in the same organisation. As long as the bes admin account as sendas permissions to the users mailbox should not have anyt issues.

question 2 the SRPKEY, not sure what you are trying to ask. THE SRPKEY is set when you install the BES Server software and licence. its not registered to the email address or ip address. its a unique to your installation of BES which lets your devices talk to your bes server. (you cannot use the same key on a different installation).
Thanks Mattlane. What I meant is that, unless I am wrong, when you install your BES with your SRP key, it registers itself onto the RIM network. It is your SRP key which identifies your server to RIM. When this registration takes place, what information is recorded against the SRP key? I think it will be the IP address but need to know if it also registers the email domain. If it registers the domain as well, it would explain why the user from dept2 didn't activate.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
bincarnato
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default Activate with the Alt Email

Have you tried activating with the email address [email address] instead of [email address]? If all users have both email addresses and the dept1 accounts activate fine but not dept2, I would see if that would work. I have serveral email addresses in exchange and I have no issues getting mail sen to any of the address address.

I could be completely off base but I don't think there is any registration that takes place during the communication between BES and RIM and I beleive the communication is only one way, BES --> RIM. I think there is an order or something that this communication happens becuase if you have two seperate installs of BES within your network and enable both using the SRP, RIM stops accepting communcation from that SRP. That leads me to believe IP address isn't a factor. It is just and identifier type thing I guess.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
rehilliard
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9330
Carrier: Verizon

If there's a second SMTP address associated with the mailbox, that just means that incoming emails will find their way to the Inbox. BES shouldn't care which address it was sent to, only that it hit the Inbox of a registered user.

That's the way I interpret it.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
aaliyah'sfather

Smile

Just had confirmation from the BES administrator that they have successfully activated the user with the @dept2.com email address. It was human error which prevented the initial activation.

Thanks to all that replied.

To summarise for anyone who may be interested:

Question 1: Can you activate a user with an email domain which is different to the Besadmin account i.e. Besadmin has a @dept1.com email address and the user has a @dept2.com email address?

Answer: Yes, as long as both email domains are part of the same Exchange organisation and the Besadmin account has the required permissions to the users mailbox.

Question 2: When the SRP key is registered, is it registered against the IP address of the BES server or the email domain or both?

Answer: First of all, it does register the SRP against the server on the Network. The RIM article titled “Importance of SRP Identifier and SRP Authentication Key” states

“When you install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, you enter the SRP Identifier and SRP Authentication Key. The SRP Identifier and SRP Authentication Key are the values that are used to register and authenticate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server on the network. This is similar to an IP address on an IP network, since uniqueness is a requirement for registration to occur in this case as well.”

What it doesn’t state is whether it uses the servers IP address or something else to associate with the SRP ID. I suspect it will be the servers IP address as it will be unique to the server. From answer to question 1, I think we can say that it does not register the email domain of the besadmin account.
Closed Thread