Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
mhurst111

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cbeyond
Default Want Outlook calendar to sync, but not email

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I have been forced into the BES admin role at work and have very little experience.

We had been using BIS to send/receive email and users would sync calendars, notes, etc. via USB connection. We now have a BES and everything is syncing wirelessly. I have been able to set up a 'standard' user on our BES; however, the owner of the company is far from standard.

Here is the configuration he wants (and currently has using BIS).

He has 2 company email accounts:
1. standard email (user@companyname.com) - this does NOT go to his BB (he gets 200+ emails a day and doesn't want them on his BB)
2. blackberry account (userBB@companyname.com) - this goes to his BB and is only given out to select employees to contact him in case of urgent need. This email is also forwarded to his standard email.

He currently syncs his calendar and other items by logging into his desktop and hooking via USB.

I need to replicate this using the BES and syncing everything wirelessly, so I think I need to put his standard account on the BES in order to get the calendar to sync, but then all of his email will also sync. Is there a way to NOT sync the email, but get the calendar, notes, tasks, etc in Outlook to sync.

I have a test handheld that I can play with, but have not figured out how to just sync the calendar through the BES( i've poked around in IT Policy, but can't find anything). I have been able to put one account on the BES and add another account through BIS to get 2 email accounts with 1 calendar. I just need to turn off the sending of email to the account with the calendar.

Running:
BES 4.1.4
Exchange 2003
Outlook 2003
Pearl handheld
Old 02-21-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
alwayzurboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: cingular

If his phone is enterprise activated on the BES there is only 1 primary account for calendaring, email (u can add more but they not enterprise accts) notes..etc. if you go into his phone and then into messages, select options then email settings and you should be able to tell the handheld not to received email, same thing for calendaring you can tell it to sync wirelessly or not. for a secondary email account just go the personal email setup wizard and add the BIS BB account from there.

Also, to not sync email. After the enterprise activation of his handheld delete the email service book, that will make the phone not receive emails.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
mhurst111

I've tried both of the suggestions above with no luck.

If I set the handheld not to receive email (either from the handheld or using properties on the BES), the calendar also stops syncing (sort of).
1. If i create a new appointment in the outlook calendar, it does not show on the handheld.
2. If I create new appointments on the handheld, they show on my desktop outlook calendar.

Any ideas?
Old 02-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
alwayzurboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: cingular

how long ago was the BES isntalled? sound like you need to install the new MAPI CDO objects.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
mhurst111

The BES was installed just 2 weeks ago. I actually kludged a solution. Instead of setting the handheld to not accept email, I just put a filter on the handheld that blocks all email going to the [email address] email and set up the other email account (userBB) by BIS. By doing that, the calendar is syncing and only the BB email shows on the handheld.

Thanks for your ideas.
Closed Thread