BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
blackberryblues

Model: 8700c
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default Sending mail to any email address within my own domain doesn't work? Cingular / AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

We have two users, each with a brand-new Blackberry 8700c.

Each Blackberry has its own account with Cingular (now its AT&T).

No third-party software has been loaded on either Blackberry, at all, ever.

Both Blackberrys are configured for IMAP mail. (With the extremely limited IMAP support available on the Blackberry.)

Email works (send and receive) on both Blackberrys except for one problem that is exhibited on both devices and accounts.

When an email is composed on the Blackberry and sent to any address within the same Internet domain as the user's email account, it is never delivered to the intended recipient.

Email composed and sent to any address that is not within the same Internet domain is delivered.

In other words, if I compose an email to my coworker and send, it will never be delivered to my coworker while if I send the same email to someone at a different company or domain, the message is delivered as expected.

For example:
--------------
From [email address], To [email address] will result in the message being sent successfully but never actually delivered.

From [email address], To [email address] works fine.
--------------

This is reproducible 100% of the time on both Blackberrys.

Upon sending the message on the Blackberry, a check mark appears next to the message indicating that it has been sent.

No error appears on the Blackberry at all.

The email is visible within the IMAP Sent folder (which can't be viewed on the Blackberry at all and must therefore be viewed via webmail or on an email client program on a computer.)

No error message is delivered to either the sender's email account or the recipient's email account.

A single message addressed to two accounts, one within the same domain as the sender and one in a different domain will be delivered to the account in the different domain only - it will never be delivered to the account in the same domain at all.

For example:
--------------
From [email address], To [email address], [email address], [email address] will result in the message being sent successfully and received by [email address] but never actually delivered to [email address] or [email address]
--------------

All outgoing email from the Blackberry is being sent via Blackberry's own SMTP servers. For instance, the header of one message (successfully sent to an account in a different domain) shows the sending server as bxe114.bisx.prod.on.blackberry

Both users can send email to themselves or any other address within the same domain when using webmail or email client software on a computer - the delivery problem only occurs when mail is sent from the Blackberry to any email address within the same domain as the email account used to send the message.

This is NOT a SPAM filtering issue. The messages are NEVER DELIVERED at all.

Anyone have any ideas, at all, about what I can try or whom I could call within AT&T or Blackberry/RIM who might have even the faintest clue of how their own email system works and thus potentially be able to diagnose and resolve this issue?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:43 AM   #2
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

You can call at&t's BB support. Issues have to be escalated to RIM through your carrier.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Walt
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

This may sound silly but do you have any filters set up on the BB's? I have a filter that keeps me from getting copies of Gmail emails sent to myself and this keeps me from sending emails to my Blackberry using the Gmail address. If I send using another email account the emails go through without a problem.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
silvertint
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: Fido

I am having the same problem, using BIS on Fido. I spoke to the IT dept at our office and they are stumped !!! If I log into the BIS page and change my "reply to" anything else that is not in the same domain, everything works great. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
blackberryblues

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
This may sound silly but do you have any filters set up on the BB's? I have a filter that keeps me from getting copies of Gmail emails sent to myself and this keeps me from sending emails to my Blackberry using the Gmail address. If I send using another email account the emails go through without a problem.
Hi Walt, thanks for the suggestion! No filters at all for either Blackberry's mail account setup... it certainly does seem as though it is filtering the outgoing mail somehow though.
Closed Thread