Old 11-15-2005, 09:15 AM   #41
rpfeffer
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint BES

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harro Verton
Another problem just popped up here, post SP3 and post hotfix.

It seems that calendar entries that are imported into Outlook by the user are not synced to the Blackberry.

Wirelress sync is on (manually entered appointments do sync correctly), and it looks like the changes are queued on the BES, but not send to the Blackberry.

Workaround:

On the Blackberry go to Calendar, Options, and switch wireless synchronisation off, then on again.

After that, the BES immediately sends out the queued updates.

CU,
Harro
So we'll need to do this for all of our users?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:20 AM   #42
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Previously, users on BlackBerry Enterprise Server with large calendars might have caused increased usage of system resources.
This issue applies to version 4.0 SP3 only; it does not apply to earlier or later versions.
This could be the Alert service maxing out system resources, but maybe not. We never figured out what was the cause of the peaked CPU usage and ever-growing log file...

I think I'll hold off on installing the hotfix though.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:20 AM   #43
LAW
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100g

We have SP3 on hold here since we discovered that we also have the "messages coming in batches" issue.

The released hotfix doesn't seem to address this problem. Anyone have any communication from RIM on what the deal is?

This also begs the question, does RIM know what the deal is?
Old 11-15-2005, 11:42 AM   #44
jrbes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular
Angry

I will see what our SAM says on this, I can't get to FTP site to download the HF for SP3.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:33 AM   #45
EoRaptor

Model: 7290r
Carrier: Rogers

Well, our system is now Exchange SP2 and BES 4.0SP3HF1. So far, it's running smoothly, with no giant log files or unexpected CPU usage. No complaints from our three Blackberry users, either.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:54 PM   #46
jrbes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

HF2 will be out within a week I am told, I get so frustrated with this!!!!

Here is part of the issue with HF1 for SP3:

IT Policy in connection with SQL - causing hung threads. Changes introduced to correct how the BES handles SQL connections are conflicting with the Policy Service, resulting in hung threads. The impact to Customers includes problems with Enterprise Activation and the loss of the ability to successfully push applications.

Last edited by jrbes; 11-16-2005 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: update
Old 11-18-2005, 05:45 PM   #47
stevenyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: lots
Carrier: t-mobile

So is the bottom line that we should hold off on SP3? How many hotfixes does it usually take before they finally get it right?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:22 PM   #48
markerman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: verizon
Question Cancelled my Change to install SP3

I will wait till things cool off. But I heard that if SP3 is not installed when Exchange 2003 SP2 is installed something breaks?
Old 11-20-2005, 04:57 AM   #49
Natrone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

When you are talking about your log file sizes reaching max limits, do you set your log files to only be saved for 7 days as according to RIM? This is what I do and I have not experienced any of your problems.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:10 PM   #50
jibi
BlackBerry God

I have mine set to 7 days for all servers. I don't think it necessarily reaches a 'limit' per se, but more like it reaches GIGABYTES when it should realistically be a few MEGABYTES, at its largest (of course, unless something is crazy wrong with the server).
Old 11-21-2005, 11:26 AM   #51
rpfeffer
CrackBerry Addict

any word on the SP3 hotfix? I'm wondering if I should go ahead and just install SP3.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:24 AM   #52
rpfeffer
CrackBerry Addict

I'm on with RIM now, I am going to ask about hot fix 2.

Update: She didn't seem to know about any further hotfixes. Overall, it wasn't a very helpful call, as you cannot change the authentication method for the handheld configuration tool from SQL to Windows authentication.

Also, no word on a Hotfix 2 for SP3. Have the problems stated previously in this thread about the SP3 issues cooled off?

Last edited by rpfeffer; 11-23-2005 at 11:30 AM..
Old 11-23-2005, 11:46 AM   #53
jibi
BlackBerry God

The handheld configuration tool uses whatever is defined in the server configuration for database, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:05 PM   #54
rpfeffer
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
The handheld configuration tool uses whatever is defined in the server configuration for database, if I'm not mistaken.
Not according to her. She told me that was one of the limits of that tool, that it is only able to authenticate through SQL.

*shrug*
Old 11-23-2005, 01:48 PM   #55
EoRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpfeffer
Not according to her. She told me that was one of the limits of that tool, that it is only able to authenticate through SQL.

*shrug*
My handheld config tool adopts whatever settings the server is set for, no matter where I run it from.

I might guess that it likely happens during install though, and that is why it won't adopt any changes you make after that. A reinstall of the tool should fix it, though.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:42 PM   #56
Chububbly
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: 250FC295
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Hey all, not really done a formal hello yet, but do have a burning question. I'm trying to upgrade an existing BES server to SP3. All seems to go well, until install finishes and the server config box appears, as usual it asks for log location and SQL server name etc. At this screen when i confirm the SQL server name I get an error saying "DB upgrade fialed, error executing SQL statement"
Does anyone have any experience of this error or any suggestions on possible cause?

Many thanks in advance!

Oh and I noticed someone mentioned Exch SP2 works fine, I do hope sp cause I will be deploying this through the organisation soon, ALTHOUGH, RIM have confirmed that this will not be supported un til BES 4 SP4 comes out in Feb 2005!
Just thought i'd share my knowledge on that side

Oh and i'm a UK member, doesn't seem to be many on here
Old 11-29-2005, 03:08 PM   #57
BaronVonBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chububbly
Hey all, not really done a formal hello yet, but do have a burning question. I'm trying to upgrade an existing BES server to SP3. All seems to go well, until install finishes and the server config box appears, as usual it asks for log location and SQL server name etc. At this screen when i confirm the SQL server name I get an error saying "DB upgrade fialed, error executing SQL statement"
Does anyone have any experience of this error or any suggestions on possible cause?

Many thanks in advance!

Oh and I noticed someone mentioned Exch SP2 works fine, I do hope sp cause I will be deploying this through the organisation soon, ALTHOUGH, RIM have confirmed that this will not be supported un til BES 4 SP4 comes out in Feb 2005!
Just thought i'd share my knowledge on that side

Oh and i'm a UK member, doesn't seem to be many on here
OK so now I'm confused again.............if we upgrade to Exchange 2003 SP2, does that mean that we need to upgrade our BES 4 servers to SP3 prior to that?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:54 AM   #58
rpfeffer
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoRaptor
My handheld config tool adopts whatever settings the server is set for, no matter where I run it from.

I might guess that it likely happens during install though, and that is why it won't adopt any changes you make after that. A reinstall of the tool should fix it, though.
What is the easiest way to reinstall just the handheld tool?
Old 11-30-2005, 09:21 AM   #59
EoRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpfeffer
What is the easiest way to reinstall just the handheld tool?
I run the server install. If it doesn't detect Exchange, it automatically prompts to install only the remote tools. I suspect there is a switch to force it to do this, but I don't know what it is. If you have a tsupport contract, blackberry could certainly tell you.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:32 AM   #60
jibi
BlackBerry God

SP3 HF2 is now available on the general download site for Service Packs.