Old 10-18-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
BSimpson
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Carrier: AT&T
Default Cannot Choose Server Name

Please Login to Remove!

Greetings all--

I'm trying to move a BES 4.0 system from one server to another. I've installed BES 4 on the target server, and am in the process of installing the 4.0.4 patch. When it asks to "Choose a server name" the box with the name is already populated and greyed out--I can't change it or use a drop-down arrow (there is none). The name is from a previous attempt and I'd like to change it to the actual BES server name.

I'm logged in as Administrator and have full rights to the PC and the network. I followed Blackberry's guide to a clean uninstall. Obviously something still wants to use the old name. What am I doing wrong? How can I get a nice blank space for the name?

Many thanks in advance for any information.

Brian Simpson
Grove Park Inn
Old 10-18-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
Krissy

Model: 8100!
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSimpson
Greetings all--
When it asks to "Choose a server name" the box with the name is already populated and greyed out--I can't change it or use a drop-down arrow (there is none). The name is from a previous attempt and I'd like to change it to the actual BES server name.
So you've installed 4.0 and are putting 404 overtop? Then its pulling the machine name from the 40 install. As far as I know it will always pull the name from the existing install.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
BSimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissy
So you've installed 4.0 and are putting 404 overtop? Then its pulling the machine name from the 40 install. As far as I know it will always pull the name from the existing install.
Thanks for the reply, but this was a brand new install--I'd installed 4.0, then told it where the SQL database was, then installed 4.0.4 on top. I'd never configured it. Is the machine name the default for the server name?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:43 AM   #4
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

It will always take the machine name as the BES name but you can change this - it should not be greyed out on a fresh installation.

A couple of things to clarify - first you mention being logged on as administrator, do you have a BESAdmin account set up with the relevant permissions? If so you should install with that user logged on. Secondly, you mentioned pointing the new install at a SQL database - do you mean that you have pointed the fresh install at the database from the old version? If so this is why you cannot change the server name, as it is being picked up from the existing BESMgmt database.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
BSimpson

Here's my setup, I guess I should have been more clear.

We have an existing BES (4.0 for GroupWise) on a rather underpowered box. The server name (and PC name) is BLACKBERRY1. The BES database is residing on another server running SQL 2000.

We want to move this to another, more powerful box. When I first tried to run the install, I stopped the BES services on the first box. As I recall, when it asked for a server name, I mistakenly typed BLACKBERRY without the 1 at the end. (This was some weeks back and I haven't had a chance to return to it, so I'm not clear on the details, sorry.)

Long story short I had to abort the second install. When I started BES back up on the old box, I had two entries for server in Blackberry Manager: BLACKBERRY1 and BLACKBERRY. I highlighted the second and did "Remove BES" to take it out of the system (I thought).

But whenever I try to reinstall on the new server, the name now seems to be stuck on BLACKBERRY. I followed the instructions for a clean uninstall, deleting folders and registry entries--but something still thinks this new one should be BLACKBERRY and won't let me change it.

I'll try BESAdmin but I'm not sure he's going to have any more rights than Administrator.

I'm about at the point where I'm ready to blow the new one away and restart at the OS level. If I can avoid that, I'd much rather (as well as having to put back everyone's handheld and email account into the system). What I'd really like is, bring down old, setup new, bring up new, everyone's happy.

Thanks again for the replies.

Brian Simpson, Grove Park Inn
Closed Thread