Old 02-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon
Default Vaccination/Autism Link?

Please Login to Remove!

This topic is brought up in the general press occasionally. More lately. There are those (like Jenny McCarthy and husband Jim Carrey) who think there is a link between childhood vaccinations and autism (as well as other problems). But to date, there's no credible evidence that such a link occurs. Comments?

Rulings on autism-vaccination connection expected - CNN.com
Old 02-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

There is empirical research to support this claim.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Both sides of this are very vocal in their efforts but it seems they both have research to support them. It would be great to see if all this is true and make changes to the system.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

I'm not close to this debate, but as you say, each side has 'research' to back their claims. But the side I listen to are the doctors and researchers who actually do the work. And they are overwhemingly in the 'vaccinations are good' category.

Koz, I'd like to see some references that support the notion of a link between autism and vaccinations.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Not sure what to believe there about the autism link. I've read a lot of what Jenny McCarthy has written about it, and I think there is some truth to it - but her son is just one case.

I believe that some vaccinations are good to have, like the polio one for example.

However, I don't think some others are necessary - like the chicken pox vaccine. I was beyond pissed when the Dr. vaccinated by daughter for that. That one is just too new to know if it will last for her entire lifetime. There is the possibility that she can still get chicken pox when she is older, which will be worse for her.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9

This was a theme on private practice a few weeks ago. My wife and I disagree on vaccinations
Old 02-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

I think vaccinations are overall good

I believe there are some that need more study

could autism be linked the the hormones in the foods now?

I think there are several factors not just the vaccine
Old 02-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

The best research that I have seen suggests that any implied link is merely coincidental. The coincidence stems largely from the timing of when vaccinations are given, and when the first signs of autism typically appear in the child. But of course, I am not the emminent research scientist that Jenny McCarthy is. (rolls eyes)

Having known some family who have children with autism and who desperately want to pin the blame of vaccinations, I am willing to say that I suspect that this is an attempt to blame somebody -- anybody -- for the tragic effects of this disease.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

I agree. We take for granted how fortunate we are that the science behind infectious viral diseases was conducted in the first place. A myriad of awful diseases are simply a thing of the past. Polio could have been eradicated from the planet had a few more countries simply carried out the vaccination program. Check out the chances that a child would survive through the early years 100 years ago.

I also think any any link between autism and vaccinations is coincidental. If there were credible studies with proof of a link, we would know about it.

Last edited by mriff; 02-12-2009 at 11:21 AM..
Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #10
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Some very recent news. Decision handed down today. Proving causation still a problem for those that want to link vaccines and autism.

The Associated Press: Court says measles vaccine not to blame for autism

Relevant quotes from the article:

WASHINGTON (AP) — A special vaccine court ruled against parents with autistic children Thursday, saying that vaccines are not to blame for their children's neurological disorder.

The judges in the cases said the evidence was overwhelmingly contrary to the parents' claims — and backed years of science that found no risk.

"It was abundantly clear that petitioners' theories of causation were speculative and unpersuasive," the court concluded in one of a trio of cases ruled on Thursday.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
This was a theme on private practice a few weeks ago. My wife and I disagree on vaccinations
Which side do you fall on Dawg?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #12
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
I agree. We take for granted how fortunate we are that the science behind infectious viral diseases was conducted in the first place. A myriad of awful diseases are simply a thing of the past. Polio could have been eradicated from the planet had a few more countries simply carried out the vaccination program. Check out the chances that a child would survive through the early years 100 years ago.

I also think any any link between autism and vaccinations is coincidental. If there were credible studies with proof of a link, we would know about it.
Even the physicians with whom I discuss these matters will agree that while medical science has come a long way since the early 1900s, the major cause of the increase in life expectancy over the past 100 years are due to the significant advances in public health -- and most notably vaccines and sewage/waste collection/clean water supplies. Think about that, and hug your trash collector next time he comes around. He (or she, I shouldn't necessarily assume) has done a great deal to improve your health.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #13
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Absolutely, the causal link between sewage (fecal matter) and cholera is right up there among the greatest of recent scientific discoveries. And a fascinating story as well!
Old 02-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
Which side do you fall on Dawg?
The side that gets me in trouble at home lol..

I am for shots that keep my children from dieing. If no threat of death or other crippling diesease then i am against them.

Like the chicken pox vaccine. I did not get either of my children this vaccine because they can still get it later in life. With meds that are out now the chicken pox arent that bad anyways.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:

I am for shots that keep my children from dieing. If no threat of death or other crippling diesease then i am against them.

Like the chicken pox vaccine. I did not get either of my children this vaccine because they can still get it later in life. With meds that are out now the chicken pox arent that bad anyways.
Sounds reasonable to me. The chicken pox vaccine became available after my children were too old to recieve it (I think). So I don't think my children are immunized against this disease. Which makes me a little uncomforable. But as in your home, my wife makes the decisions on the medical front. And she (we) has chosen to get every vaccination possible.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:24 AM   #16
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Respectful Insolence: I really wish this were an April Fools' Day joke...
Old 04-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #17
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:

Us too.

I don't think the minuscule threat of vaccines causing autism (and I do believe they can) outweighs the massive threat of our entire society coming to a screeching halt if all vaccines are stopped and major diseases make a comeback.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #18
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

I don't know too much about the link or lack thereof but I do think that having any mercury in vaccines is crazy. Just like any other product it seems businesses will use preservatives without knowing the long-term affects.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #19
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

I remember when I was in Basic Training, and they would line us all up periodically and inject us with those air gun things. I guess I should be more creeped out than I am, but... I still have no idea what was in those. And refusal was not an option, at least not in '93. I assume something similar happens today.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #20
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

The studies to date have found absolutely no link between autism and vaccination. More from this CNN story.

Progress is slow in the war against autism - CNN.com