BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:46 PM   #1
Earthdog
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default Bye to the 8800 for now... (Cingular's fault)

Please Login to Remove!

I was going to move all of my company over to Cingular from Verizon because we are technology nuts and Verizon is WAY behond the curve. So I bought an 8800 from Cingular with the intent of moving to Cingular but...

Their coverage is the pits in Northwest Atlanta, GA. Since I have had the 8800 I have now been to LA, Ontario, Salt Lake and Minneapolis and all I can say is Cingulars coverage quality (dropped calls and crackeling) is way below Verizon.

So I guess I am taking the 8800 back and use my Treo 700w until Verizon gets the 8800. Rumors are May or June, oh well...

I must say the 8800 is an awesome piece of equipment.

Any chance it's the phone? How is your service compared to your previous phones?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

I live in ATL, travel to your hood, and see very little problems. Also been to LA and the midwest with similar non-issues. I've been with Cingular for years and have found my 8800 to be as good or better in terms of coverage.

Perhaps it's your handheld...but could also be your particular locations and bad luck, unfortunately.

Welcome to the forums.

***moving to Rants and Raves Forum***
Old 03-08-2007, 12:10 AM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Typically Verizon's (CDMA) coverage in North America is better than Cingular's (GSM) coverage. The benefit of GSM is international travel (your Verizon phones won't work.) That being said, Cingular's coverage is pretty good--better than TMobile's. It just depends on your particular locations.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
scotth
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle
Perhaps it's your handheld...but could also be your particular locations and bad luck, unfortunately.
I agree with Pizzle - it most likely is a bad device. If you are set on getting rid of Verizon, at least try one more device from Cingular. (no I do not work for Cingular!)
Old 03-08-2007, 03:56 AM   #5
brill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Odd..

I had Verizon, T-Mobile, and Cingular cellphones simultaneously. I live and work in Los Angeles, have been all over the USA including Atlanta, and I have to say Cingular coverage has been as good or better than Verizon and better than T-Mobile. Kind of hard for me to be all that biased, since I was paying for all three services at once. Since then I dropped Verizon because of dismal battery life, lack of coverage in my own home (Cingular works), and because it doesn't work in Europe.

I still have T-Mobile and Cingular.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Coverage varies by location. That's the way it is... Pick based on coverage in places where you need it most.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
cellguy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 25F09CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthdog
I was going to move all of my company over to Cingular from Verizon because we are technology nuts and Verizon is WAY behond the curve. So I bought an 8800 from Cingular with the intent of moving to Cingular but...

Their coverage is the pits in Northwest Atlanta, GA. Since I have had the 8800 I have now been to LA, Ontario, Salt Lake and Minneapolis and all I can say is Cingulars coverage quality (dropped calls and crackeling) is way below Verizon.

So I guess I am taking the 8800 back and use my Treo 700w until Verizon gets the 8800. Rumors are May or June, oh well...

I must say the 8800 is an awesome piece of equipment.

Any chance it's the phone? How is your service compared to your previous phones?
I live in Minneapolis and have used VZW and Cingular both and find the Cingular network superior. It may be your phone!
Closed Thread