BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 05:54 AM   #1
jjones
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular
Default what is the best webmail to use with BBY?

Please Login to Remove!

My preference is for GMAIL, mostly because I have so much history in my gmail account I can't think of having a discontinuous history by switching. I do realize with forwarding I could keep it up.

Gmail works well EXCEPT you can't sync properly. My idea of a GMAIL sync would be that if you delete on BBY it would ARCHIVE on gmail not delete and visa versa. Can't figure out how to do it so everything is captured in gmail along with perfect syncing (ie no deletes on GMAIL).

Would I have any better luck on Yahoo mail? I would be willing to pay up for the business version.

PS I currently have BIS retrieve from GMAIL via POP. No forwarding.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:00 AM   #2
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

GMail is an excellent choice. Yahoo Mail Plus is also good, but costs. Don't know how good BIS is with Yahoo's free email.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:02 AM   #3
jjones

I think excellent is a little bit of a stretch. It is very fast but there is no ability to sync emails via wireless.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
trevor1189
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones
I think excellent is a little bit of a stretch. It is very fast but there is no ability to sync emails via wireless.
Do any offer that ability?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
bobross

Model: 8100
Carrier: Withheld

iirc recently Yahoo! and RIM set up some sort of a partnershipt and now your Yahoo! mail should be pushed to the BB almost as soon as they come in, instead of waiting for the BIS to go retrieve them. I think it works a lot like the provider.blackberry.net accounts. I believe it doesn't matter if its a free Yahoo! or not. Worth a try at least to setup a free Yahoo! and give it a test.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
jjones

I am pretty sure that GMAIL has the ability to wireless sync via BIS. However, if you delete on the blackberry it deletes on Gmail, rather than archiving it. Also, despite the fact I tell it to send from my own domain vs my gmail account, after a few back and forth within a conversation it shows my gmail address on behalf of my own domain address which is annoying. Doesn't happen all the time but a few times a day
Old 04-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Just FYI, Yahoo also does not "delete to trash" with the Blackberry BIS, so it's pretty much the same as GMail.

I use both -- I have Yahoo configured via BIS to get pushed directly to the Blackberry where reading long emails is better (due to the fonts), like my subscriptions to DailyLit (reading books via email). I don't use it for normal emails, mainly just subscriptions and such. It also allows me to hand out an email that I know will go right to my BB device (like if you set up AMBER alerts, hint hint. )

I have GMail configured via BIS but *not* pushed to my device, so I can send emails from the device using the builtin tools (i.e. when you want to send a webpage link or something). I use the java GMail applet you can download for actually reading and replying to my normal GMail, because it offers full Sent/Trash/Spam support - it's like using the normail webUI.

Sometimes there's just not one tool or method to rule them all, you kinda have to patch together a situation that works for your needs.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
jjones

thanks. I will try Yahoo out. Do I start from Blackberry BIS or from the yahoo end? I assume it uses pop vs forwarding to the cingular or whatever carrier account?
Old 04-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #9
rivviepop

Quote:
thanks. I will try Yahoo out. Do I start from Blackberry BIS or from the yahoo end? I assume it uses pop vs forwarding to the cingular or whatever carrier account?
You start with Yahoo -- go make yourself a normal account and make sure http://mail.yahoo.com works with a web browser, maybe send yourself an email or two to the @yahoo.com address to make sure.

Now go into your carrier's BIS webpage setup and simply add that account -- with T-Mobile BIS it's as simple as entering the email address and password for Yahoo and you're done. I am unfamiliar with Cingular BIS so cannot comment on that...

You don't have to set up any forwarding, the BIS server should POP out the email from Yahoo but not delete it. When you delete an email from your handheld, you'll get a choice to delete on only the handheld, the mailbox+handheld, etc. Remember that there is no delete-to-trash, so once you whack it from the mailbox it's gone.

Advanced next tip: if you want to push important things already coming to your GMail (thereby avoiding the problem of a no trash/archive in GMail via BIS), set up a filter in GMail to forward to the Yahoo account; if you then delete the email from your handheld+mailbox, it only deletes the Yahoo copy and leaves your GMail copy untouched.

Note: When setting up a GMail forwarding filter you can also mark it Read when forwarding (as well as archive it and so on), so it's pretty darn slick to use the two free webmail services together.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #10
HashGordon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Airtel

Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips Gmail and Yahoo Setup
Old 04-07-2007, 12:36 PM   #11
jjones

Tried it out. Here is what I found...

BTW the email rec on the bby for the yahoo account is set to delete on handheld only.

So I sent an email to my yahoo account, deleted it on my blackberry and it is still on yahoo. So not deleted but yahoo (to my knowledge) has no archive equivalent like gmail has.

When I sent another and within yahoo mail moved it to a new folder it still sits there on the blackberry.

Am I missing something?

All I really want is a two way sync which works as follows.

Delete on Blackberry <==> Archive on Gmail (or some equivalent non delete but not in inbox in yahoo)

Archive on Gmail <==> Deletes on my blackberry.

All the help so far appreciated.

one more thing....I would switch to yahoo if it could do this but I would miss the conversation history of gmail along with the superior spam technology.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #12
rivviepop

Quote:
So I sent an email to my yahoo account, deleted it on my blackberry and it is still on yahoo. So not deleted but yahoo (to my knowledge) has no archive equivalent like gmail has.
Given you set the reconciliation like this, so far so good.

Quote:
When I sent another and within yahoo mail moved it to a new folder it still sits there on the blackberry.
You will *not* get a two-way sync like you want. All that BIS does (basically) is POPs email out of an account and sends it to your device. That's it. True sync requires either BES or an IMAP-based account (search for LogicMail), which have nothing to do with BIS.

What you're looking for (delete/move/etc. in webUI, changes 'show up' on handheld) will not happen with a basic BIS account. This is why I use the GMail applet you can download from Google to do my GMail, it's a true "two way" sync if you will (not really -- the app operates in realtime on your GMail, so it's more like a mobile webUI in handheld format).
Old 04-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #13
jeffmik
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: none
Carrier: carrier

when i'm viewing an email on my blackberry and hit delete I have two options - delete on handheld and delete on mailbox & handheld

pretty self explanatory but unfortunately deleting via gmail doesn't sync to the balckberry itself.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #14
jjones

thanks. However, even with BES (which I am currently testing) the true sync only works with the exchange style delete. In otherwords, the sync with archive on gmail is still not possible.

I just get tired each day of deleting stuff on my blackberry and then archiving stuff on my gmail. I do use the gmail app which is great. I find it a little slow so I use it to look up old emails that are long gone from my blackberry.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
rivviepop

Quote:
I just get tired each day of deleting stuff on my blackberry and then archiving stuff on my gmail. I do use the gmail app which is great. I find it a little slow so I use it to look up old emails that are long gone from my blackberry.
I hear ya, my main email for work is a standard IMAP account so I really can't fully utilize it via a BlackBerry either. Pretty much you need to live in the Exchange + BES world in order to get all the goodies that RIM has to offer. :-/

There *is* an IMAP plugin to BES that I found on the web (the company name escapes me at this moment), but you still have to run BES on a Windows server -- kinda defeats the purpose when your shop is UNIX/linux in nature.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:15 PM   #16
jjones

Default Using GMAIL+YAHOO+BIS

Related topic which might get to a solution...

1. Is it possible to get yahoo mail via POP for BOTH outgoing and incoming? Within gmail it only asks for pop server, not the outgoing smtp server. As a result gmail only gets mail to yahoo and from yahoo via blackberry (if you use bcc) but when you send from yahoo on the web you can't get a copy bcc to gmail.

2. Is it possible to set a filter within yahoo mail to foward sent messages to gmail?