Old 09-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
holiday
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7730
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tMobile
Default Various issues with Verizon 9930

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, I recently got a 9930 from Verizon. Unfortunately, it was over 30 days ago, so I think I am probably past the refund point - otherwise that is what I would seriously consider doing. A phone at this price-point should not have such buggy software right out of the box.

First of all, the battery life is horrible. I can't switch to 2g being on Verizon, and I understand that, but nevertheless, the battery barely lasts a day. I have been watching the battery analyizer and for some reason the phone will discharge at a rate of 24% per hour between 2-3AM in the middle of the night, when the phone isn't even being used. WHY? This means I can go to bed with the phone fully charged and wake up with it 50% depleted. This is crazy. I have deleted the FB and Twitter apps, and I have toggled off the location settings and the battery still drains at the roughly the same rate.

Also, I have had various lock-up issues with the video player. It won't play youtube videos at all without freezing up after a few seconds. Then, it won't open the video camera app (I assume because the video player is frozen), so the phone just freezes up with the cursor on the video camera icon. I hold the power button to reset the phone and then it frees it up, sometimes with an "Uncaught Exception 334 or 333" displayed at start up. This also sometimes happens when playing songs on the media player from the SD card. It freezes and I have to battery pull or reset the phone to free it up. Sometimes it will do it again immediately.

I am using an older SD from my previous Bold that I did not format for this new Bold - could that be the problem? I am thinking since some of my issues are media-related, this could be the problem. What do you think?

The device is beautiful, but it preforms very poorly. No issues with email or phone calls, but the battery life and poor app preformance at this price point are unacceptable. What are my options here being 60 days from purchase?

By the way I am running version 7.1.0 Bundle 457 on this device. I have 7.1 DM on my computer - should I try upgrading the OS on the phone?

Any other suggestions about how to work through these problems?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Various issues with Verizon 9930

You can only reasonably expect one day of battery life (12 - 18 hours) from a CDMA BlackBerry. Charging early and often is the best course of action. Or carry a spare battery if you aren't near a power source during the day. And definitely keep it plugged in at night.

Try updating to 7.1.0.580 (1737).
Old 09-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #3
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long
Default Re: Various issues with Verizon 9930

I agree with Motorcycle Mama on updating the OS. But if the unit is defective, you can still return it - I think up to one year. You might call Verizon Wireless and see what they say.

I've read a few others having the same issues with the VZW 9930 but mine has never had those issues, except the battery life isn't great, I agree with that. Since the last update, it seems a little better however. You could try formatting the media card, but I doubt that is the issue.

BTW - you should update your profile to the current device and OS you are using so people can give you the mose relevant information. It looks like you have posted about a number of different models recently on other carriers.

Last edited by daphne; 09-12-2012 at 01:29 AM..
Closed Thread