Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
BillPierce

Model: Q10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Accessing browser-based AOL mail with older BB

Please Login to Remove!

I realize I'm functioning with older hardware/software, but I'm on a fixed income with extremely limited financial resources.

I have a Bold 9780 that I use to access browser-based AOL webmail via the BB browser and Wi-Fi. I do not have a data plan or BIS (too expensive in Canada).

Now AOL is saying that after April 27 they will no longer support WAP browser-based webmail. The only allowed webmail access will be via available iOS and Android apps.

Do I have another option, or is this the end of the line for my tried and true old Bold 9780? I really can't afford to buy anything new.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Accessing browser-based AOL mail with older BB

Sadly without a data plan not much can be done to access the email account. It may be better to use another service. I use Yahoo on mine.
AOL may be thinking it will force customers in a direction they think is better ( cost savings on their systems) but sounds like a mistake.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
BillPierce

You have confirmed what I feared. Sadly, I guess I'm going to have to say goodbye to BlackBerry. An older BB was a very cost-effective solution to my needs. My carrier wants an additional $20 per month for a data plan, and on my income continuing costs like that are a budget killer. I probably can pick up an old Android phone for $50 or so, which is a hit, but at least it's a one-time cost.

I've had my AOL address for 26 years; it's the one way people know how to contact me.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

You may find regardless of the carrier they want to charge a data plan cost.

Another possibility is using a different browser. Go to Blackberry APPworld and download a different browser such as the Opera mini browser.
It may work based on the info on the AOL site although AOL is not very clear on browsers except to say most will work that are on newer smart phones. the 9780 although older does work on the browser and the 9900 which is fairly new also uses the same App.

Nothing to loose trying.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
BillPierce

I've already got the Opera Mini 8 browser installed. It's a little more picky than the built-in BlackBerry browser in terms of compatibility, but it has a reduced memory footprint that will sometimes load content-rich pages that cause the built-in browser to crash.

I guess I'll have to wait until April 27 to see if Opera works with the revised AOL webmail.

Are you saying that the Bold 9900 will use an app to access webmail? Is there an app that works with BB OS 7 on the 9900 but not OS 6 that I have on my 9780? All I see from AOL are apps available only for iOS and Android.

If I hunt around I can buy a used Bold 9900 for about $50. I'd consider that, but only if I can access AOL's webmail via Wi-Fi. No, it's not as convenient as BIS via a data plan, but my research indicates that fewer carriers are enabling BIS anymore, and eventually it may disappear altogether. Wi-Fi webmail has been a reasonable and cost-effective alternative for me.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

The AOL site is very limited in the information offered. It does sort of imply the Opera will work but does not specifically state so. the statement that "smart phones" will work ok may be a bit off based if all they consider is Apple phones or a limited selection of others.
My thought is to wait and see if the Opera works on the phone you have. The Opera app in the BB Appworld site does show your current phone and the 9900. So if it does work you can decide how you want to go and if not then it probably wont work on the 9900 either. To me this means AOL is just changing requirements for some other than stated reasons and may loose a lot of users and that may be what they are trying to do, dump the free email service. It may be better to move to another free email service such as ATT or Yahoo. they are also free and work very well.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:07 AM   #7
BillPierce

Well, AOL pulled the plug yesterday (May 4) on WAP-based mobile browser mail access, rather than April 27 as mentioned in their original notice. Trying to access AOL mail via the built-in browser on my Bold 9780 results in a 404 not found error, while doing so from the Opera Mini 8 browser brings up a page saying that WAP-based webmail is no longer supported. The list of supported mobile OS includes the following: iOS 5 or later, Android 4.1 or later, BlackBerry 10, WebOS and Nexus 7.

It looks like I'm going to have to ditch my trusty old BlackBerry, bite the bullet and buy a cheap used Android phone if I want an inexpensive solution to accessing AOL mail from my phone using WiFi. I'm none too pleased, but there's no point trying to fight the powers that be.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #8
tsac
BlackBerry God

Blackberry 10 does support Android Apps and seems to work for AOL. Again , depending on the carrier restrictions, any OS type may not work without a data plan of some type. F you can try a friends BB with OS10 using WIFI it may be the way to go before buying any phone.
Closed Thread