BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 11:06 PM   #1
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default Future topic change ideas; separating 7100s? BWC/MDS rename?

Please Login to Remove!

As this moderator is also a user of these forums too...

Although, this is an unofficial post (as I have no ability to rename forums), I am curious about people's opinions.

(1) I'm very curious about what end users think about separating the phone-like berries from non-phone like berries. 7100 series BlackBerries have very different tips & tricks from the more traditional BlackBerries, and they kind of flood each other.

(2) I'm very curious about whether "Network Specific, BWC, MDS" is very clear to you as an end user. Should it be a more generic title such as "Messaging and Internet on BlackBerry" since it covers all the popular messaging methods such as BWC, MDS, PIN, SMS, etc which could be kept in the description only. In the longer term, the acronyms may be meaningless, since accessing the Internet may be through the APN method rather than the MDS method, and MDS is really a part of BES anyway. Or kept the way it is?

Healthy debate encouraged. Just like the Customer is Always Right, The End User is Always Right. Of course, everyone's opinions can differ :D
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 10-04-2004, 11:48 PM   #2
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
PIN: Montblanc
Carrier: T-Mobile

Isn't this topic being covered in this thread here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1063

:D
Old 10-05-2004, 07:45 AM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

what Fireproof said about it in the other topic, but i honestly think of MDS as part of BES not as part of BWC (well, more on a specific admin point-of-view).

i've learned over the years that the more forum sections you have, the more frustrating its going to be for the moderators to keep things in order. keep in mind that the first place people will look to post a topic is in the General Discussion area (note Guess's probable assumption that more people would read his post if it were there and not within this forum), just simply because its the most active as well as just being the first forum section. for your own sanity with moderation, you all may not want to possibly cluster (or even just remove) some of the sections - there is a point where you will find that 'too neat' is too much (there's a happy medium and i think we're just about close enough to that point to hold off on too many more cosmetic changes)

give this topic and the one in the general discussion area a few more days and see what the response is... if there is no more response than the four of us, i don't see any need in changing the titles (although i do like Fireproof's cleaning up of the descriptions).
Old 01-12-2005, 12:44 AM   #4
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

I don't really see why the 71xx phones need to be separated. They still have the same issues as regular blackberries. They're not so different that the info can't be reused. It's still a blackberry, just with a funky keyboard.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:06 PM   #5
Peench
Thumbs Must Hurt

I don't know what any of those acronyms mean or what they do. Is there a glossary around here somewhere?
Old 01-13-2005, 12:25 AM   #6
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

If 7100's were to be separated from regular devices, I would recommend splitting it into 7100/7290/7520 and "other" devices. Since the former have much more in common than the older devices, such as bluetooth, modem, more memory, ability to run 3.8 (except 7520), etc...

Just my opinion...
Closed Thread