Old 05-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #102
BBSwany
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Straight Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanR View Post
Thanks bbswany

I am due an upgrade early summer so that is good news.
No Problem! It looks tentative for June (AT&T). Most likely for Vodafone as well..

And at least we know that T-Mo will be getting the 9000 in 3G flavor coming this fall!! YAY!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #103
Wishdemon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question T-Mobile

Hey all..I was reading bgr and gizmodo and they seem to imply that the 3G model for AT&T wont be compatible with T-Mobile's 3G network...is that correct?

Does that mean we cant use an unlocked AT&T 9000 on T-Mobile (ie: if we do unlock and use it, will we still be able to utilize the 3G capabilities on T-Mobile?)

Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #104
JoeIndy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

T-Mobile uses different frequencies than AT&T. AT&T uses 850 and 1900MHz. T-Mobile will be using 1700 and 2100MHz. Europe uses 2100MHz, but, it still won't work on T-Mobile's 3G network. They'll use 1.7 for one direction and 2.1 for the other. I think I'm right, but, if I'm not... I'm sure someone will correct me in due order.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #105
Black Bart
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: tmobile
Default 3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIndy View Post
T-Mobile uses different frequencies than AT&T. AT&T uses 850 and 1900MHz. T-Mobile will be using 1700 and 2100MHz. Europe uses 2100MHz, but, it still won't work on T-Mobile's 3G network. They'll use 1.7 for one direction and 2.1 for the other. I think I'm right, but, if I'm not... I'm sure someone will correct me in due order.
I have been told by someone that knows that the higher the frequency, the more efficient the 3G system. In the present case with T-Mobile running at 2100MHz and ATT at 1900MHZ, the T-Mobile 3G system will be 10.52% more efficient. By efficent, I mean in terms of speed and data transfer.

I hope that answers your question.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #106
Wishdemon

Sounds good - I think that answers my question - so we'll have to wait for an actual tmo bold to come and we cant use the ATT one on tmo...too bad...
Old 05-12-2008, 09:27 PM   #107
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by untjoker View Post
I wouldn't be so sure.....Vodafone is probably the one who will debut it first.....AT&T aint got nothing on vodafone...
When speaking about American carriers, Vodafone typically doesn't get brought up in the discussion. Not sure why, but something tells me it has to do with the Atlantic Ocean... I could be wrong, though.
Negative. I swam the Atlantic and made lots of friends. The dolphins I have talked to during my swim have never heard of Vodaphone. I met a whale with a Vu though. She kept an army of plankton she promised not to eat so they could press the screen for her. Whales don't have fingers you know.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 05-12-2008, 10:55 PM   #108
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
I have been told by someone that knows that the higher the frequency, the more efficient the 3G system. In the present case with T-Mobile running at 2100MHz and ATT at 1900MHZ, the T-Mobile 3G system will be 10.52% more efficient. By efficent, I mean in terms of speed and data transfer.

I hope that answers your question.
The new Tmob 1700 and 2100 3G network is designed to handle voice, not data (unfortunately). Bad news for people who want faster internet, good news for the many in cities where they get dropped calls because Tmobs network is overloaded to the max. I think you'll be stuck with existing EDGE data network for the near future. The way it is designed now even WiFi with Tmob is no faster than EDGE.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 05-12-2008 at 10:56 PM..
Old 05-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #109
david_uk

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
The dolphins I have talked to during my swim have never heard of Vodaphone.
The dolphins' spellchecker obviously worked. The largest cellular company on the planet is called Vodafone.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #110
g_patrick15
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2435646F

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
The new Tmob 1700 and 2100 3G network is designed to handle voice, not data (unfortunately). Bad news for people who want faster internet, good news for the many in cities where they get dropped calls because Tmobs network is overloaded to the max. I think you'll be stuck with existing EDGE data network for the near future. The way it is designed now even WiFi with Tmob is no faster than EDGE.
Wrong on that one sir-works for both voice and data. Its not possible to use two networks at one time (ie using UMTS/HSDPA for Voice connection and using EDGE/GPRS for data). The rumor going around that it'll be voice only has been proven false

Last edited by g_patrick15; 05-13-2008 at 02:09 PM..
Old 05-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #111
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_uk View Post
The dolphins' spellchecker obviously worked. The largest cellular company on the planet is called Vodafone.
Only re-enforces the fact that fish in the Atlantic have never heard of them.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #112
XBGM3R

Model: 8900c
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

You know, T-mobile needs to get with updating their products on the regular, and do something with the EDGE thing cuz it aint cutting it, what a nice addition this 9000 would be....C'mon Tmobile, get with the program there.. mmm
Old 05-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #113
XBGM3R

Model: 8900c
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Oh I forget something addition to tell you, None of you people know you can buy unlocked GSM based (AT&T, T-Mobile, Cellular One, etc..) phones, then just put your SIM in them? Or you can buy a phone from one carrier and pay a small fee to have it unlocked - which makes it usable on any network? I know it doesn't do the CDMA folks any good, but everyone else can just buy any phone they want and use their current SIM in it?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #114
Black Bart
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default 3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
The new 3G system will handle voice and most importantly, DATA. Thats the who reason for building it. T-Mobile is cutting edge.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #115
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
The new 3G system will handle voice and most importantly, DATA. Thats the who reason for building it. T-Mobile is cutting edge.
True it supports voice and data. But cutting edge is what I can hardly call Tmobile. All of their upper end devices are underpowered, they are WAY (not just a little bit) slow at keeping up with everyone else in the coverage arena AND data network. I mean, when all of your WM units are only 200mhz or slower there is something wrong. AND, when FINALLY STARTING to implement 3G as others are about to go 4G, they decide to go with an already outdated 3G technology for data! UMTS? Are you kidding me?

Just how exactly is Tmobile being cutting edge, when they lag so far behind the big boys?

Last edited by numetheus; 05-14-2008 at 05:04 PM..
Old 05-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #116
Black Bart
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default 4g

Quote:
True it supports voice and data. But cutting edge is what I can hardly call Tmobile. All of their upper end devices are underpowered, they are WAY (not just a little bit) slow at keeping up with everyone else in the coverage arena AND data network. I mean, when all of your WM units are only 200mhz or slower there is something wrong. AND, when FINALLY STARTING to implement 3G as others are about to go 4G, they decide to go with an already outdated 3G technology for data! UMTS? Are you kidding me?

Just how exactly is Tmobile being cutting edge, when they lag so far behind the big boys?
4G is ready to go. Just needs testing. By the way, TMobile purchased more 3G spectrum space than any other carrier.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #117
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
4G is ready to go. Just needs testing. By the way, TMobile purchased more 3G spectrum space than any other carrier.
That ... I can't believe. You are probably the only one that thinks that btw. If you work for them you were probably misinformed by an overzealous employee. If they purchased more spectrum space than the other boys it would be common news ... there is no way to keep something like that a secret. Spectrum space is not exactly something they can just secretly buy and put a lid on it.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:38 PM   #118
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Yup ... nothing on the Internet anywhere about this. The only mention of 4G with Tmobile is Tmobile Europe. And tmobile europe is not the same as Tmobile America.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:17 AM   #119
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
And we all know that VZW reps are a bunch of idiots. I once had a conversation with a VZW rep where he tried to get me to buy a VZW phone. I told him that I buy new upper end phones 4 times a year and Verizons lineup is crap and usually outdated. Our convo went like this:

VZW rep: Well Verizon releases phones later than everyone else because they do lots of testing to make sure the devices are bug free.

Me: Over a years worth of bug fixing after everyone else already has them in hand?

VZW rep: Thats why VZW phones are perfect.

Me: I used to be with VZW and my phones were no more perfect than any other phone I have ever had with Tmobile or AT&T. By the time your devices are "perfect", the next version is already out by other carriers!

VZW rep: *stupid look on his face*

Me: Could it be because manufacturers produce phones first for the bigger GSM market and go last to CDMA?

VZW rep: No because the biggest network is Verizon and they are CDMA.

Me: *stupid look on his face*

Me: Well no I don't want your service I'm here with my friend who is an idiot for going with Verizon.

Point is ... you can't trust a VZW rep, Tmobile rep, AT&T rep, and definitely not a Sprint rep in the store. They are last to know anything, and the minimum wage they are paid does not buy intelligent, motivated people.
Thanks for making me laugh this morning! I hate to say it but it but the AT&T reps are not alot smarter. It is a know fact that they are the last to know anything. If the carrier tells the rep anything, it has been known on the street for months. The poor salespeople have no knowledge of a new device until they get their 30 minute orientation the day it goes on sale. I watched a saleperson break the back off a device because she did not know how to remove the battery!

Thanks again!

Last edited by greggebhardt; 05-15-2008 at 04:20 AM..
Old 05-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #120
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
Thanks for making me laugh this morning! I hate to say it but it but the AT&T reps are not alot smarter. It is a know fact that they are the last to know anything. If the carrier tells the rep anything, it has been known on the street for months. The poor salespeople have no knowledge of a new device until they get their 30 minute orientation the day it goes on sale. I watched a saleperson break the back off a device because she did not know how to remove the battery!

Thanks again!
LOL thats true. AT&T reps are no smarter than the other in-store reps. I am just shocked when people still post things like .. "I just talked to my rep at the store and he said the BB is coming out in June! A reliable source!"

ME: "Hey when does the Vu come out? Any hard dates?"

AT&T Rep: "I have not heard of the Vu, but it may come out for Verizon."

AT&T Rep: *proud smile*

ME: *stupid look on his face*

ME: "I'm going to go prep my swords for harry kerry now k? Its still dirty from the last time I committed suicide."

AT&T Rep: *stupid look on his face*

Closed Thread