Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
TopHat

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default BB10 vs Galaxy S III vs Iphone 5

Please Login to Remove!

I want to see how the operating system, features, and software of the BB10 compare with those of the other devices. Can't wait until the information becomes available. Battery features etc also of interest. Which one turns out to be the best value for the money...and is there another device in the running. I don't need the best, I want the best value. In the 70s, I bought Koss headphones with specs that were way over the ability of my hearing...but I had the best at the time but probably not the best value. I suspect BB10 will have to be a grandslam homerun to be successful, a triple won't do.

If the BB10 doesn't doesn't equal or exceed the other devices, would you get the BB10 and why? If it only equals the others, or a tad lower, why would you opt for it?

How does the Blackberry server fit in to your decision?

My 18 yo daughter has the Iphone5, my niece's boyfriend has the Galaxy SIII, and my niece (had the Tour before ) has an earlier Galaxy. She is opting for the Iphone 5 only because the new Galaxy is too big. Otherwise, it was toss up to her. Me, I'm old school with the Blackberry 9630. I might as well have no internet service as it is sooooooo slow, so I rarely use it and not good for these old eyes. So my niece and daughter use up the data limits from Verizon.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: BB10 vs Galaxy S III vs Iphone 5

Can't say much about BB10 since it has not been released. All would be pure speculation based on what we have heard and read.

Diehard BB addicts will buy it on day 1. Some, like me, will wait until the reviews come in and then buy the second version. I never buy version 1 of anything anymore. Most are rushed out the door too quickly so I wait until most of the bugs are fixed. However, I do like my Galaxy SII.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

And I switched to a Nokia Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8. My wife has an iPhone 5, my daughter has an SGS III and my son has an iPhone 4s.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHat View Post
I want to see how the operating system, features, and software of the BB10 compare with those of the other devices. Can't wait until the information becomes available. Battery features etc also of interest. Which one turns out to be the best value for the money...and is there another device in the running. I don't need the best, I want the best value. In the 70s, I bought Koss headphones with specs that were way over the ability of my hearing...but I had the best at the time but probably not the best value. I suspect BB10 will have to be a grandslam homerun to be successful, a triple won't do.

If the BB10 doesn't doesn't equal or exceed the other devices, would you get the BB10 and why? Security.

If it only equals the others, or a tad lower, why would you opt for it? Security

How does the Blackberry server fit in to your decision? We run BES already and will be getting BES10. Exchange Active sync is ok but we need more robust tools and dont want another MDM system.

My 18 yo daughter has the Iphone5, my niece's boyfriend has the Galaxy SIII, and my niece (had the Tour before ) has an earlier Galaxy. She is opting for the Iphone 5 only because the new Galaxy is too big. Otherwise, it was toss up to her. Me, I'm old school with the Blackberry 9630. I might as well have no internet service as it is sooooooo slow, so I rarely use it and not good for these old eyes. So my niece and daughter use up the data limits from Verizon.
size isnt everything and no phone is perfect for all
we are all human and have different needs

My take
iphone is simple but lacks options for power users.

maldroid is very costomiseable but with risk in malware. Who wants to buy antivirus, malware apps and task killers with a new phone?

windows is ok but not what many are looking for and previous versions left many with a bad taste.

Java BlackBerry is secure but java isnt robust with multi tasking with todays needs. Many features that BlackBerry has in the box, others need a app for that or just can not do it.

BB10 will be very interesting to compare once released. I cant wait to try one out.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
pshute
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Optus

All I've got to compare my 9800 (OS6 on BES) with is my new iPad (iOS6). Can I assume the software on iPhone is similar? Naturally, I've never looked at BB10.

I find the iPad browser to be magic compared to the Blackberry. I haven't found a site that doesn't come up quickly and work properly. The Blackberry is slow (probably just the unfair CPU comparison) and often won't even start the download of the site (could be telco problems?).

The Blackberry browser crashes at least once a week because it can't handle a site, closing all the other tabs with it. This could be fixed in OS7, I don't know.

The Blackberry is better on WiFi, but regularly decides it's not going to work anymore. Could be my WiFi router, but the iPad never skips a beat on it.

I'm a bit shocked at how basic the iPad mail app is. I can't collapse my many mail folders, and it's really hard not to accidentally mark emails as read. The message list is only as wide as a phone screen, i.e. I can't see complete subject lines.

I really miss the Blackberry's smart search for folders. The iPad folder list has no filter at all. It's not right for corporate use, and I think I'd find it frustrating to use for personal use. I'm reworking my server side rules and folder structure to fit in with it, and starting to use flags instead of relying on unread messages remaining so, but not everyone will be able to do that.

I've used a Playbook for a while, and I don't recall having these issues, so I doubt BB10 mail will be this poor. It's a pity Apple, etc, leapt so far ahead of Blackberry with the basics because they have some brilliant features. Unfortunately they probably aren't valued much by the masses so they might never end up in other phones.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

you are comparing a single 600 mhz CPU 256 RAM phone to a tablet with 1ghz dual core CPU 512 RAM

yeah the specs alone will say it will win

with out touching a physical button at all try do the following

play a MP3 song
open a game and play it with sound off
open 3 tabs on web browser
open vid cam and record while music and game is still playing
close all of the above

My PlayBook can do this.
It doesn't even matter

Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

As a Mac user, trying BB10 will depend on how well it integrates with Apple's iCloud. What has me using an iPhone (4s) is how well it integrates with apps like iCal and Address Book. I get that wireless sync of contacts and calendar across all my devices, and that's addictive!

WP8 doesn't support CardDAV or CalDAV (open standards) so I'd be giving up a lot if I went with a Nokia Lumia. I love the designs but WP just isn't the right choice for me until they support Card/CalDAV.

I'm done with being an early adopter and living on the bleeding edge of technology. I guess I'm just not the geek I used to be. So like Dubdub, I will be waiting and reading early reviews of BB10 and seeing what's what before I take another stab at BlackBerry.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

I got some hands on with BB10 at Waterloo on the 12th, WOW this is nice and everything flows. Hub is sweet too.

I didnt get into syncing contacts but we will know a lot more in a few weeks.
It doesn't even matter

Old 03-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #9
qingshan

Model: Z10

I have never used an iPhone but I have a GS3 and will have a Z10 tomorrow - I will post my thoughts
Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
qingshan

Quote:
Originally Posted by qingshan View Post
I have never used an iPhone but I have a GS3 and will have a Z10 tomorrow - I will post my thoughts

I have had my Z10 since Friday in the afternoon. I had visited an AT&T store on the 22d to play with one - could do near nothing. The videos and demos were helpful and I am getting to like the keyboard more than Swype that I liked a lot.

It has better reception for sure and that is a plus because I live in a dead zone. I had to get a T-Mobile BB with UMA to be able to make a call from my house. My Verizon GS3 never rang at all - straight to voice-mail.

Do I have it mastered? Not even but I am keeping it and learning more every day
Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
shootsscores
Thumbs Must Hurt

My z has better reception than any of my previous phones. Seems that BB is determined not to fall short in that area. Only Apple can get away with being a poor telephone.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootsscores View Post
Only Apple can get away with being a poor telephone.
This is proof that you're a fanboy and a troll. Have you even owned an iPhone? I have. Every single model. Sometimes multiples of each, on multiple providers. I have also owned over 400 other mobile phones (including nearly 50 BlackBerry devices) in the last 14 years, and that is not an exaggeration. Behind Nokia devices and the original Motorola StarTAC, iPhones have been neck and neck with BlackBerry for the best reception. The worst ones have been Samsung and HTC. My best network for call quality has always been T-Mobile, followed by AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint in that order. Data has always been best for me on AT&T.

That's my experience, and yours may vary, but please feel free to go sit on a cactus if you can't be objective when you post here.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Although obvious troll is obvious, I believe he may be referring to the iPhone 4 (or 4S, can't remember which) that had the reception issue when held, that the remedied shortly after it was released.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Although obvious troll is obvious, I believe he may be referring to the iPhone 4 (or 4S, can't remember which) that had the reception issue when held, that the remedied shortly after it was released.
If so, it's not even worth mentioning as the issue is resolved and therefore not an issue.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
shootsscores
Thumbs Must Hurt

As my apple loving friend says of his iphones, "It's fun but it's a shifty phone." He's total apple fan. And no, iphones don't draw signal like BBs.

Is this an ifan site? The name of the forum is confusing.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
alicepattinson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

If you're already used to BB then go for BB10
Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #17
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootsscores View Post
As my apple loving friend says of his iphones, "It's fun but it's a shifty phone." He's total apple fan. And no, iphones don't draw signal like BBs.

Is this an ifan site? The name of the forum is confusing.
You really need to read before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicepattinson View Post
If you're already used to BB then go for BB10
Absolutely incorrect advice. BB10 is almost nothing like old BlackBerry devices.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

10 Things BlackBerry Z10 Does That iPhone Can't - CIO.com

oh and Z10 can do HTML editting too
It doesn't even matter

Closed Thread