Old 01-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
JakeKole
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Default BES express

Please Login to Remove!

I have never used bes express before and I find it completely annoying.

Firstly with activation why can't i just activate it like normal?

It seems all the devices do not have blackberry activation and i have to activate with usb, so pointless.

Next problem is why is it when i activate an existing user with a new bb that it doesnt sync all the old emails and i have to remove the user from the bes in order to get a full sync sometimes. Don't give me the link to the pre population, that is not the same.

With full bes you activate a device no matter when or what it always syncs the entire mailbox. Why does bes express have to be so annoying and make my life difficult?

It is simply not designed for business enviroments.

a) i have to ask users for their login passwords to activate their accounts
b) i have to generally force users to sign up to blackberry id before i can get access to the enterprise activation.
c) i have to do it locally.

How RIM thought that it would be a good idea to hand express out for free in its current state when they had a great bit of software in the bes is unknown to me.

Ok so 2 hours later still trying to activate a device with bes express.

I had two devices to activate, both had lost their BB. One of them got an old one that was spare and another got a new one.

i activated one of them (of course using the annoying hit and miss usb method) and that activated fine with all old emails as usual.

the one with the new device refuses to sync old emails (why would you ever not want old emails in a sync, obviously a bug). So i wiped the brand new device and removed the user from the bes. did it all over and guess what, still no old emails...

now i don't see why i have to go messing with registry values for prepopuation when it worked with the other users fine and the settings have not been changed.

*bangs head on table*

Ok second time removed pin from bes and disabled the device, removed user and exchange information from bes.

Readded user and reactivated still not historic emails. I give up, obviously who ever thought that people would not need a historic emails has obviously never used a blackberry before. Probably the lead dev, never used a blackberry before. lol

Last edited by JakeKole; 01-02-2013 at 09:10 AM..
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: BES express

Perhaps you should complain directly to RIM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
JakeKole
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8520
Carrier: o2

Like rim care... It started off as a post about more information and turned in to a rant about activations on bes express. You can move the thread some where else if you think it is spammy.

I realy can't be alone in hating bes express...

I just want to know the logic behind not syncing the inbox. I am sure someone knows...

spent over 3 hours trying to get a bb sync the mailbox. It syncs everything else ok. Why sync historic calendar entries, who needs historic calendar entries. why even bother syncing anything what so ever just activated it with some chicken wire and a tin can and then hopefully we get new emails. bes un-express 6.

Ok finally got it too work after 4th wipe and forcing message prepopulation.

Last edited by JakeKole; 01-02-2013 at 10:22 AM..
Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
freakinvibe
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Class
Carrier: Swisscom

Quote:
It seems all the devices do not have blackberry activation and i have to activate with usb, so pointless.
What kind of Blackberry data plan do you have with your carrier? With a BES dataplan this works, see details here:

KB21124-How to activate a BlackBerry smartphone using BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express 5.0

Quote:
With full bes you activate a device no matter when or what it always syncs the entire mailbox.
No, even with BES, you only get a certain number of e-mails (e.g. 3000 mails or 30 days). With SP4, you don't need the pre-population reg entry anymore, it always pre-populates. That's no difference to full BES.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeKole View Post
Like rim care... It started off as a post about more information and turned in to a rant about activations on bes express. You can move the thread some where else if you think it is spammy.

I realy can't be alone in hating bes express...

I just want to know the logic behind not syncing the inbox. I am sure someone knows...

spent over 3 hours trying to get a bb sync the mailbox. It syncs everything else ok. Why sync historic calendar entries, who needs historic calendar entries. why even bother syncing anything what so ever just activated it with some chicken wire and a tin can and then hopefully we get new emails. bes un-express 6.

Ok finally got it too work after 4th wipe and forcing message prepopulation.
Imagine a user having a 16GB mailbox. Then, think about what will happen if you sync the whole mailbox. I never had anyone complaining about the mail older then 30 or 60 days.
The user is always able to use the remote search feature to add important older mail to the phone.

Get a Blackberry Enterprise data plan for your phones, and, you wil be able to activate wireless, or install the enterprise activation application on the phone, and, you should be able to activate wireless even, without an enterprise data plan (I never tried it, but I read this should work).
Free Enterprise Activation - Download Enterprise Activation - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World
Closed Thread