Old 12-16-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
big ando 86

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Macquarie Telecom
Unhappy Migrating BES 4.1 to a new server

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Everyone,

I have been charged with the task of migrating our BES Server (Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Server, with BES 4.1) on to a new server Windows 2003 R2 Service Pack 2.

I have looked in the admin section here to see if anyone has already asked my questions, but I can't find anything.

Anyway, I have read up on how to transfer the SQL database from one server to another and then reconnect the existing BES to the new server, but I want to know what is best practice for migrating the users onto the new server???

Is there a way to simply backup and restore all the settings and users onto the new server?

I hope to hear from someone shortly.

Thanks in Advance,

Big Ando
Old 12-17-2007, 05:37 AM   #2
Dookie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by big ando 86 View Post
Is there a way to simply backup and restore all the settings and users onto the new server?
What i did for my DR solution is pretty much the same you need.
Build up a new BB server, exactly the same as the old one (SRP ID, DB name), but different server name.
Don't choose to start up the services after installation.
Now go through every point of properties of your new server and make sure that is exact copy - EA settings, IT admin, IM settings (if used) and MDS CS settings. Once you'll have all this prepared, reboot the server (just to be sure) with BB services stopped. and now carefully, you don't want to have both SRP connections at same time - Stop BB services on the old one, once done, start BB services on the new one. I'm using *.bat file for this (attached).
The move the users to the new server (using BB Manager) ... in batches let's say about 200 users per 5 minutes. That's because the new one will have to open the connection to the mailboxes. Once all transferred, you can kill old server

This is prolly described as a knife-edge cutover - you might like to see this:
BlackBerry Search Results
Attached Files
File Type: zip services.zip (545 Bytes, 11 views)

Last edited by Dookie; 12-17-2007 at 05:39 AM..
Old 12-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Interesting that you are starting/stopping the Controller service prior to the Router and the Dispatcher. Any reason for that? I was going on information cited in RIM KB13718. Otherwhile, that is pretty much how we do it (our service order is a little different).

Anecdotally on IBM Lotus Domino, I note that when I restart the Policy service, that the BES task in Domino also starts automatically without intervention from me. I don't know if that is cofigurable anywhere (I should hijack this MS Exchange thread for a Domino question, so I don't ;) )
Old 12-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

When you want to move the BES to a new machine, the process is pretty straight forward. If you are running SQL Server you don't need to move the DB, but back it up regardless.

Here is the process with moving the DB, if you are using MSDE:

1. Backup the DB
2. Install MSDE on the new server
3. Use the createdb.exe utility to create a blank database first. This eliminates the issue where entries do not get written to the sysmessages table in the master DB when you don't create a blank DB first before restoring the backup copy
4. Install the Exchange System Manager and apply all necessary service packs
5. Set all local permissions on the new machine
6. Restore the DB
7. Run the BES install and do not start the services at the end. And make sure that the BES name is not changed, if you change it you will have 2 BES and you will have to reinstall :(

This KB has the steps with more detail:

BlackBerry Search Results
Old 12-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
Filip_PwC
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820
Carrier: Vodafone

@Gibson_hg: in the KB you posted it says that the MDS and MDS_DIS needs to be recreated, do you have any idea how to do this?

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

The MDSS and MDSS_DIS databases are created when you install the BES with the MDSS option. MDSS is for creating and publishing BlackBerry applications that you create yourself. IF you don't have this option installed or don't plan to use don't worry about those databases. The only database to be concerned with the BESMgmt database.

Hope that clears that up for ya
Closed Thread