Old 09-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #1
takepityonme
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Those who've bought a bestskinsever screen skin

Please Login to Remove!

How long do they last? I see it's free shipping for 3 or more, but I realize that I have no idea how long a skin for the screen will last.

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6

Shouldn't need to replace it unless you drop it many times.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Mine has been on for several months and is still going strong.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
takepityonme
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hey, I just researched it and is it true you apply it with soapy water? Sounds like of dangerous.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
nexteli836man
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

well i use glass cleaner to apply you use a very small amount

one skin should do you unless you mess it up
Old 09-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Yes, you do apply a solution to it. It is not as dangerous as it sounds. Of course you don't want to soak it, but it will be fine. I was nervous the first time but it worked perfectly.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
srotman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Applied the skin many times. Yes, you use soapy water, but very little and when you first do it it's a little nerve wrecking, but I've done it so many times now I don't get concerned at all anymore. It's wet at first, and it's mostly soap that squeegees out. All the water stays under the screen to help it adhere to the screen and evaporates over the next 24 hours. As someone suggested, you can also spray glasses cleaner instead if you're more comfortable with that.

I absolutely SWEAR by these skins. You put them on and you never notice them after that and you don't have to worry about cleaning your screen anymore from oil of your face or worry about light scratches. They do an amazing job and are so affordable. And yes I recommend the 3 kit because I've had enough BB's die or screw up on me that it's easier to have extra lying around so you can put a new one on a replacement BB when it arrives should the case arrive. They also last impeccably well. About a year now on one of my devices and no sign of peeling at all. It's on there for good or unless I take it off myself.

Just make sure that for the first time you read the instructions carefully and follow closely. You'll see that it's not too hard. And expect it to look like crap for the first 12-24 hours as the trapped moisture under the skin evaporates.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Defiance
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 3030AD2E
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (8300: BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Where do you get these from? I might have to try one of these.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:27 PM   #9
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by takepityonme View Post
Hey, I just researched it and is it true you apply it with soapy water? Sounds like of dangerous.
I always recommend using rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol to apply it instead of using soapy water because it dries faster.

Several months ago, I got another Blackberry 8100 Pearl White and I decided to give it a try to see if all this time of recommending using rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol is a good thing to do or not.

I even made a topic about my experiment but did not get too many replies and views for some odd reason.

Turns out that I was right and it is a great alternative to do that instead of using soapy water.

The problem of using soapy water is if you get some inside the phone, you have to wait for the entire day for it to dry out before you put the battery back in the phone. (Keep in mind you have to take the battery out when you apply it.)

What if you don't know you got some in the phone? That can be a big problem.

With rubbing alcohol and denatured alcohol, it dries out fast.

You can mix it with 1/3 water to it if you want. If you decided to not mix any water too it, you may get air bubbles BUT it will be gone after a day.

I also recommend splash some on the table. That way, you know when it is completely dry to put the battery back in the phone.

Last edited by secrecyguy; 09-04-2007 at 10:30 PM..
Old 09-05-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
webcrawler

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrecyguy View Post
I always recommend using rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol to apply it instead of using soapy water because it dries faster.

Several months ago, I got another Blackberry 8100 Pearl White and I decided to give it a try to see if all this time of recommending using rubbing alcohol or denatured alcohol is a good thing to do or not.

I even made a topic about my experiment but did not get too many replies and views for some odd reason.

Turns out that I was right and it is a great alternative to do that instead of using soapy water.

The problem of using soapy water is if you get some inside the phone, you have to wait for the entire day for it to dry out before you put the battery back in the phone. (Keep in mind you have to take the battery out when you apply it.)

What if you don't know you got some in the phone? That can be a big problem.

With rubbing alcohol and denatured alcohol, it dries out fast.

You can mix it with 1/3 water to it if you want. If you decided to not mix any water too it, you may get air bubbles BUT it will be gone after a day.

I also recommend splash some on the table. That way, you know when it is completely dry to put the battery back in the phone.
If you we alcohol, how much appoximate time will it take to dry? I have skin lying with me since weeks cause I can't afford to switch off my phone for 24 hours as they recommend.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #11
DocGo

Model: 9800
PIN: ask me via PM
Carrier: Rogers

For me, I only waited about 30 mins. Once I am satisfied that the skin is set and I made sure there are no little drops of water anywhere on the phone, I switch the phone back on.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #12
akg

PIN: Mont Blanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler View Post
If you we alcohol, how much appoximate time will it take to dry? I have skin lying with me since weeks cause I can't afford to switch off my phone for 24 hours as they recommend.
Yeah I really can't imagine there's many BB users that would do this. I did the same thing as some others have and let the skin set and then turned it back on.

BES 4.1.6 Exchange 2003 SP2
Old 09-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #13
jsaradhi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: curve

One thing though...if you want to use the OEM leather pocket/pouch as a cover for ur curve like i do (i am not a big fan of the holster, i like to slip my phone into my pocket)...the pouch stains the skin with some kinda brown rusty stains...just a heads up...
Old 09-05-2007, 01:23 PM   #14
flash24
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

I've had mine since two months ago.. still looks good, the sides is starting to peel.. maybe I just didn't do a good job of putting it on hahah.

Proud to Serve USAF
Old 09-12-2007, 08:45 AM   #15
hyedipin
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->

Oh man, I should have read the instructions first. No wonder they send a pair of skins!! Because people like me will go ahead and apply it on, and mess up one of them by stretching and with ugly fingerprints on it.. I am gonna have to give a HUGE, and i mean HUGE THUMBS DOWN to best skins ever operations for not including just a single darn page of instructions with the invoice they are sending. How hard is it? I mean they can even use the same page, front invoice and rear instructions.. Come on, who is gonna go download and read instructions from some PDF file, well not until they try to apply the first skin and mess it up..

Anyway, I have my second skin at home, and it is also another mess that I cannot use my phone for that day until it dries completely, otherwise it will move away from the screen if touched. This is basically very similar to tinting your car windows, if anyone has ever watched them do it.

Otherwise, skin looks great, and I am sure it does its job...
I don't think I am soaping my BB just yet..
Old 09-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #16
nmadd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyedipin View Post
.. Come on, who is gonna go download and read instructions from some PDF file, well not until they try to apply the first skin and mess it up..
You didn't read the instructions first?

I tend to read them when it comes to applying something with water to the screen of my BlackBerry.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #17
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

^^I agree. I think I read the instructions like 3 times before I tried the first one.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #18
akg

PIN: Mont Blanc

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.8993/58; U; en))

Yes, the instructions would no doubt be nice to have included with the invoice and skins. BSE has costs down pretty low it seems with only sending me the two skins I ordered and an invoice, all in a letter size envelope sent through US Mail. I read the instructions and got pretty good results although I didn't do it "by the book" (didn't let it sit for much more than 10 minutes before carrying on with normal use) and the only peeling I have is where the Seidio spring-clip holster has been rubbing on the edge of the battery door skin.

I ordered a full housing from cnn.cn for $30 and I'm going to apply the skin to it and get it perfect and THEN install it on the BB.

BES 4.1.6 Exchange 2003 SP2

Last edited by akg; 09-12-2007 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #19
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 4.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash24 View Post
I've had mine since two months ago.. still looks good, the sides is starting to peel.. maybe I just didn't do a good job of putting it on hahah.
I kept my sides of because I couldn't get them perfect. So far so good. I was just really worried about the screen and back of it laying it down on my desk.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #20
nmadd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.8993/58; U; en))

Yes, the instructions would no doubt be nice to have included with the invoice and skins...
Where is everybody doing this that they are complaining about not having paper instructions included in the package? Are you on a camping trip that you cannot download the PDF online?
Closed Thread