Old 05-24-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
voyager9355
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon
Default Unrecognized Document Format - PDF

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all-

Just last week, I upgraded my BES from 2.2.7 for Domino to 4.1.3, including moving the whole she-bang to a newly installed server. Everything is running great EXCEPT my users cannot open PDF attachments on their devices.

When opening a PDF, users click on "full content" & "retrieve"...they get a red X, and "Unrecognized Document Format"

All BES functionality is on the local server. We are using MSDE, windows authentication, and everything shows that PDF files ARE a permitted type of attachment. (another affected file type is PPT...same error. DOC, XLS, JPG all work just fine).

PDFs worked fine on 2.2...

I have a ticket open with RIM, and have tried everything they have suggested (hotfix 2 didn't do it) however their latest solution of "remove & re-install your BES" isn't quite an acceptable response. My BES has been running perfectly since its installation last week, with the exception of the PDF attachments.

Here's hoping somebody in BlackBerry-land has run across this issue, and figured it out.

Domino 6.5.5
BES 4.1.3 HF2
Windows 2000 Server SP4

Looking forward to your suggestions!
Thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
voyager9355
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Well here's an update...

With little help from RIM support, other than their suggestions of moving the attachment service to a remote machine (nope, sorry, not doing it), and/or reloading the BES software, I managed to find a workaround for my PDF issue.

Thought I'd share in case it might help anyone else with PDF or other file formats. (I'm sure this is unsupported & not recommended, but hey...it worked for me - I am not responsible for anything that happens to anyone's BES environments, if you choose to try this!!)

One of RIM's suggestions was to unregister & re-register the PDF DLL file, which I did, twice, with no joy.

So then I thought hey...PDFs were fine on my BES 2.2.3 server...what if I register the OLDER version of the DLL file on my 4.1.3 server?

Guess what...it WORKED. Here's what I did:

Stopped the Attachment service
Unregistered the BBDM_Pdf.dll file
Moved the BBDM_Pdf.dll file to another location on the server

Copied the BBDM_Pdf.dll file from my OLD BES 2.2.3 Server to the proper location on the new server.
Registered the DLL file
Started the attachment service

Sent myself a PDF file & it opened (took it a bit longer than normal, but it worked!)
Closed Thread